• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2022 at 12:51 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Does Heritage do reserve auctions? Seems like that would be a good way to get more books on the blocks.

Yes, but they generally try to dissuade consignors from putting on reserves, because they're a big turn-off for bidders.  And the reality, in light of Heritage's results, is that most lots don't need them. 

On 11/18/2022 at 9:47 AM, tth2 said:

I was surprised too, but apparently there were at least 2 other collectors out there that were willing to pay around $90k for it, in addition to whoever won this last year.

But how did HA make $45k off this sale?

They sold the same book last year so twice the juice.

I think setting a reserve on these near 6 digit books will start to be the norm...

On 11/18/2022 at 10:58 PM, dikran said:
On 11/18/2022 at 10:47 PM, tth2 said:

I was surprised too, but apparently there were at least 2 other collectors out there that were willing to pay around $90k for it, in addition to whoever won this last year.

But how did HA make $45k off this sale?

They sold the same book last year so twice the juice.

I was the seller last year.  I definitely didn't pay $22.5k to Heritage! lol

On 11/18/2022 at 10:00 AM, tth2 said:

I was the seller last year.  I definitely didn't pay $22.5k to Heritage! lol

Ok, I'm sure it wasnt 0% either, I always thought their BP was non negotiable (at least that's what they've told me)

On 11/25/2022 at 4:59 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Happy Turkey Day!

16369055598_80aff1b466_c.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving Duck Fans! Every time I see a copy of this book I remember running across a completely tattered copy at an antique store up in New England on a family vacation in the mid-seventies. The proprietors had the nerve to ask $10 for it! I passed but have still never got a copy!!

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

My aim of recreating the barks original Uncle Scrooge run (Four Color 386 - Uncle Scrooge #71) in Australian editions is going quite well. It's going to be hard to find the first few, but I now have 4-11 solid. These arrived yesterday:

G107 - reprints Dell Uncle Scrooge #19 The Mines of King Solomon

large_G107.jpg.5f1006313d898925dfb6a08feaef863c.jpg

G122 - reprints #22 The Golden River

large_G122.jpg.f864c55f2326cb34926db83e8ec03b58.jpg

On 12/14/2022 at 3:46 PM, kaculler said:

I picked this one up today and it is now my earliest issue in the series.  I still need #1-10 plus 13 other issues with the highest being #45.

wdcs11.jpg

That's great! I love these earliest WDCSs and they are usually pretty beat condition-wise. Nice-looking copy!

On 12/14/2022 at 10:04 PM, Point Five said:

That's great! I love these earliest WDCSs and they are usually pretty beat condition-wise. Nice-looking copy!

The store had a number of other nice early issues between 11 and 40, but I had the other issues already.  They also had nice copies of Gene Autry #1 (Fawcett), a bunch of Looney Tunes issues, and more that I assume came from the same collection.  I was happy with the shape this one was in.