• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2022 at 11:32 AM, OtherEric said:

Pretty sure they’re from the Duck family tree Rosa did.

I bet Don is steaming about that. @BustedFlush and I ran into him at SDCC in the early nineties at an Eisner Awards presentation. We talked for a long time about his work for Disney and his views on how he felt they were taking advantage of him. I think he eventually stopped working for them due to that. Too bad I was a fan of his work since I read the Pertwillaby Papers in RBCC in the later seventies. It seems like he could have made a go of that work with an independent publisher without the Disney attachment.

On 9/28/2022 at 8:24 AM, tth2 said:

Don gets steamed about a lot of things.  lol

He's definitely more like his namesake duck than any of the other ducks.

I spoke with him at a convention in Albuquerque one time. He refused to speak with me or sell me anything until I identified the story name of any of the prints he was selling. I identified "Escape from Forbidden Valley" and he became friendly but still grumpy. lol He was complaining that people were submitting personalized sketch covers to CGC and then trying to resell them for a profit. The subtext was that he wanted a cut. lol 

Once my wife showed up he became very nice and even did 2 sketch covers for us although he did mark them not for CGC grading. He then complained about the concept of CGC grading and how you cannot read what's encapsulated. I pointed out that you can always break them out of the tomb and read them and that many people get lower-grade reading copies. He grumbled a reply and I let it drop. No since in getting him spun up again especially when he was being nice. lol 

On 9/28/2022 at 9:41 AM, Badger said:

I spoke with him at a convention in Albuquerque one time. He refused to speak with me or sell me anything until I identified the story name of any of the prints he was selling. I identified "Escape from Forbidden Valley" and he became friendly but still grumpy. lol He was complaining that people were submitting personalized sketch covers to CGC and then trying to resell them for a profit. The subtext was that he wanted a cut. lol 

Once my wife showed up he became very nice and even did 2 sketch covers for us although he did mark them not for CGC grading. He then complained about the concept of CGC grading and how you cannot read what's encapsulated. I pointed out that you can always break them out of the tomb and read them and that many people get lower-grade reading copies. He grumbled a reply and I let it drop. No since in getting him spun up again especially when he was being nice. lol 

I had him sketch on a blank cover as well, years ago, and he wrote next to the sketch, "Not to be slabbed." Ever since then, whenever I see him at a show, I have him just sketch on a blank piece of paper and personalize it to my kids.

His dislike of CGC may stem from when he joined the boards many years ago and had a less than pleasant experience here.

On 9/28/2022 at 8:48 AM, Ryan. said:

I had him sketch on a blank cover as well, years ago, and he wrote next to the sketch, "Not to be slabbed." Ever since then, whenever I see him at a show, I have him just sketch on a blank piece of paper and personalize it to my kids.

His dislike of CGC may stem from when he joined the boards many years ago and had a less than pleasant experience here.

It predated that lovely experience. I've seen him a few times since and I always wanted to ask about the seeming disconnect between hating CGC and having his personal collection graded but have never been brave enough. Probably be banished to Tra La La or something. lol 

On 9/28/2022 at 8:47 AM, tth2 said:

That's pretty rich coming from a guy who submitted his collection to CGC and got it designated as a pedigree! 

I met him a bit over a year ago and really wanted to find one of the books from HIS pedigree and have him sign the slab.

Well, I learned that was the wrong question to ask him.  I still think it would have been pretty cool to do though.

PDG

On 9/28/2022 at 8:47 AM, tth2 said:
On 9/28/2022 at 8:41 AM, Badger said:

He then complained about the concept of CGC grading and how you cannot read what's encapsulated.

That's pretty rich coming from a guy who submitted his collection to CGC and got it designated as a pedigree! 

In his defense, I don't think that choice was his. I think Steve Wyatt decided to do that.

On 9/29/2022 at 3:07 PM, MrBedrock said:

In his defense, I don't think that choice was his. I think Steve Wyatt decided to do that.

I don't get it.  How could it not have been his choice?  Even if Rosa sold his collection in toto to someone else and the buyer got it designated a pedigree how could CGC have used Rosa's name without his permission?  

And this guy who dated Fergie?

Edited by sfcityduck

On 9/29/2022 at 5:18 PM, sfcityduck said:
On 9/29/2022 at 5:07 PM, MrBedrock said:

I don't get it.  How could it not have been his choice?  Even if Rosa sold his collection in toto to someone else and the buyer got it designated a pedigree how could CGC have used Rosa's name without his permission?  

It is very simple to understand. Rosa gave his collection to Wyatt to sell for him. Folks started buying them - including most larger dealers, Matt Nelson, and others tight with CGC. Everyone loved the condition, knew the source, and CGC was lobbied for a pedigree designation. Don, in all of his lovable grumpiness, had nothing but disdain for that part of the process.

And remember, CGC is the same company that decided to give multiple grades to random pieces of plastic and also decided it was a good idea to give universal grades to remaindered books that had after-market acetate covers attached. I would bet that CGC never even asked Don Rosa his permission to name the collection after him. Everyone in the hobby was already calling the books "The Don Rosa Collection" and CGC didn't even consider any possible legal implications.

Edited by MrBedrock

On 9/30/2022 at 6:07 AM, MrBedrock said:

He could've blocked them from using his name on the pedigree. (shrug)