• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

On 9/29/2022 at 5:22 PM, MrBedrock said:

It is very simple to understand. Rosa gave his collection to Wyatt to sell for him. Folks started buying them - including most larger dealers, Matt Nelson, and others tight with CGC. Everyone loved the condition, knew the source, and CGC was lobbied for a pedigree designation. Don, in all of his lovable grumpiness, had nothing but disdain for that part of the process.

And remember, CGC is the same company that decided to give multiple grades to random pieces of plastic and also decided it was a good idea to give universal grades to remaindered books that had after-market acetate covers attached. I would bet that CGC never even asked Don Rosa his permission to name the collection after him. Everyone in the hobby was already calling the books "The Don Rosa Collection" and CGC didn't even consider any possible legal implications.

He could have contacted Wyatt and said, "No maximizing the value of my collection!" "I neither need nor want their filthy lucre!"

Strangely, despite his hatred for CGC, that did not happen.hm

Edited by Badger

I read over the document linked above about why Don stopped doing Disney comics. It squared well with the conversation I had with him back in the nineties though that was before his eye troubles. He was pretty straight up about his choices and eventual decisions. One thing of note is that the auction of his books were his later copies and he is still holding onto an incredible collection of earlier books. His column in RBCC where he would answer questions about popular culture was always a fun read. It's too bad he isn't involved on the boards as he has great knowledge. Someone alluded to him having a hard time here; too bad that's the board's loss.

On 9/28/2022 at 7:17 PM, Robot Man said:

I have had this set of covers for at least 45 years. Came in a huge lot of GA books from an early purchase. WDCS are pretty common and coverless issues seem to come up often. But, I could for some reason, never find a coverless copy. Well, my patience finally paid off!

1943 First Carl Barks Donald Duck in WDCS.

754123F2-9184-4173-B77F-8B9A3C827A84.jpeg

A24B0E51-C352-4DE0-A5B9-22A3A1047A53.jpeg

Another great Kelly's cover. I never read the inner story though. Only published here twice so far.

I got this:

350533795_donaldduck42.thumb.JPG.5ce3655a916e1f2e36c0392ccd54d943.JPG

From Netherland, with a great 50's Barks cover. From middle to late 70's

The cover and the inners pages are a bit too flimsy for my taste. Also, Netherland was one of few countries that  used a sort of coated paper in those times. I don't think it is particularly suited for material like this. However, As the print quality was excellent, far above what was normally used in the US at the time, it still looks quite good

Bellow a comparison of it with a 70's US disney stuff:

P1010079.thumb.JPG.a7cddeeaff4f7e514dabccd1623b7fe8.JPG

Edited by Kromak

Strong result on an 8.5 Donald Duck #26 in Heritage this weekend. $1140 with commission. I'm not too surprised as this is a real classic book.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/donald-duck-26-dell-1952-cgc-vf-85-off-white-pages/a/122241-13311.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

On 10/11/2022 at 3:35 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Strong result on an 8.5 Donald Duck #26 in Heritage this weekend. $1140 with commission. I'm not too surprised as this is a real classic book.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/donald-duck-26-dell-1952-cgc-vf-85-off-white-pages/a/122241-13311.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

Well I am surprised. It's a classic, sure, but it's not that a scarce book even at 8.5 - this was the equal 12th highest graded.

On 10/12/2022 at 6:07 AM, AJD said:

Well I am surprised. It's a classic, sure, but it's not that a scarce book even at 8.5 - this was the equal 12th highest graded.

I'm flabbergasted an 8.5 sold for that much. Still, one thing I've noticed about the higher grade duck books is that they tend to go into permanent collections. Nobody is buying them to flip. Might change with recent duck book results but you probably will not see that same issue pop up for sale anytime soon. It's not just supply but market supply that drives these prices. Right now, none of the big Internet dealers have any copies above ungraded 7.0. Even eBay only has one, not professionally graded, in 7.0. The only professionally, using that term generously, graded copy is a PGX 6.0.

On 10/13/2022 at 1:03 AM, Badger said:

I'm flabbergasted an 8.5 sold for that much. Still, one thing I've noticed about the higher grade duck books is that they tend to go into permanent collections. Nobody is buying them to flip. Might change with recent duck book results but you probably will not see that same issue pop up for sale anytime soon. It's not just supply but market supply that drives these prices. Right now, none of the big Internet dealers have any copies above ungraded 7.0. Even eBay only has one, not professionally graded, in 7.0. The only professionally, using that term generously, graded copy is a PGX 6.0.

And another factor is this book not only has a great Barks cover and story but is an adaptation of an actual Donald Duck cartoon. Add in the Halloween motif and I see this book being a perennial collectible favorite. If I had to choose between some of the later Four Color issues  and this book this one would probably get the nod.

Well we get to test the waters again with a 9.0 is in the Dell / Gold Key signature auction. Good timing as we approach Halloween!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/donald-duck-26-dell-1952-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/40208-81079.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

On 10/13/2022 at 12:31 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Well we get to test the waters again with a 9.0 is in the Dell / Gold Key signature auction. Good timing as we approach Halloween!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/donald-duck-26-dell-1952-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/40208-81079.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Perhaps close to $1500? Depends on how many different bidders there were on the latest auction.

And this one?

Screenshot-2.thumb.png.f3df394c3204b6cad5d113b0df225043.png

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/four-color-9-donald-duck-dell-1942-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40208-81089.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Open-MostActive-Thumbnail-112917

Edited by Kromak

On 10/19/2022 at 7:24 AM, Kromak said:

This was a 9.4 when I sold it on Heritage in 2021.

On 10/19/2022 at 9:49 PM, dikran said:

That Doug has one impressive collection of Dells! :whatthe:

Yes he does.  The early WDC&S's are particularly impressive, although the 9.6 WDC&S #2 is also an upgrade from the 9.4 that it was previously sold as.

The depth of the Dell books in this auction is pretty astounding. I've been trying to decide if I want to go for any particular book. One thing I have no interest in is chasing upper 9 grading points as that seems line a no win game. Instead I'll be looking for that sweet spot of underappreciated gems in very nice shape.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 10/22/2022 at 12:29 PM, AJD said:
On 10/19/2022 at 11:10 PM, tth2 said:

Yes he does.  The early WDC&S's are particularly impressive, although the 9.6 WDC&S #2 is also an upgrade from the 9.4 that it was previously sold as.

Oh, well, it's garbage then. :eyeroll:

When did I say that?