• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

well .... I guess I will be the one to ask,,,, What titles?

I guess it is no fun without knowing, huh? One is TWD, which everyone is likely to be hoarding but still seems a solid bet to me. I'd rather not get into which other title(s) (I ordered one other today but may get a Rebirth title such as All Star Batman or Superman as well.) I kinda want to see if I can get a steady flow on TWD and think I can generate a monthly grading order through the wife and her Pajiba-nut friends. But first I need to see if my skillz are as mad as I think they are before I start making promises to women I meet on the internet.

Edited by Bird

4AD14E04-3B8E-4028-9595-50033FE0C71B.png_zpsotw8aivd.jpeg

(thumbs u:applause:

Tough book in hi grade. Shiny black cover is VERY unforgiving. Census says ZERO graded.

Census shows 1 9.9, 8 9.8's and 2 9.6's - check the creative team and publishing dates.

Love to have that 9.9! Saw a stack of SP #4 at a LCS sale over the weekend, had to be 20 copies and none of them were even an 8 :(

Again, like the 90s

No die cut covers, no 1,000,000 copy print runs, so.....we aren't there again yet.

No but we have 3d covers, sketch covers, reverse sketch covers, sealed black bag packs, combo packs, multiple renumbering of #1 rebooted issues, image pumping out new series after new series of #1's And in some cases 50 plus variants of a #1 issue.

In all honestly I don't think just because there isn't a 1 million plus print run doesn't mean anything compared to today. Readership is way down compared to that time.

If there was 1 million readers out there for the current popular titles, I would be more than thrilled. Unfortunately, what is going on now could be considered even worse than the 90's because the readership isn't there.

It's real simple...just buy the books that have strong story and art, the rest will take care of itself.

How do you know this? There is no way to gauge this.

...and it has nothing to do with pre-speculation...

I too have to wonder how many people were actually "reading" comics in 1992. clearly more were buying them, or more were bought. i'm guessing more people were too simply because there were like 3-4X as many shops that were surviving. I'm not sure if there were more shows though as now it seems every city has a few shows and some have many more and I don't think all these big shows existed 25 years ago. NYC had a big show at the javitz once during the 90s, but otherwise it was a bunch of smaller shows at the Penn Pavilion, St. Paul's Church and that other place in Chelsea.

How much of that was just that it was harder to get the word out pre-Internet? Maybe you just never heard of them?

I would have known about the shows in NYC. Outside of NYC, not so much. My LCS was pretty in the loop with this stuff and let me know about them, he had been in the NYC "comics scene" since the early 70s.

I guess it is no fun without knowing, huh? One is TWD, which everyone is likely to be hoarding but still seems a solid bet to me. I'd rather not get into which other title(s) (I ordered one other today but may get a Rebirth title such as All Star Batman or Superman as well.) I kinda want to see if I can get a steady flow on TWD and think I can generate a monthly grading order through the wife and her Pajiba-nut friends. But first I need to see if my skillz are as mad as I think they are before I start making promises to women I meet on the internet.

50jybd.jpg GO Lightly My Friend

50jybd.jpg GO Lightly My Friend

Thanks, I will.

It is really a lark. I spent the better of three decades buying comic art and survived so many mistakes that this stuff pales in comparison. Like buying a money losing Mignola cover. try and do that! (Step one - buy from Mike directly. Step Two - make sure it is an awesomely balanced yin yang Mignola masterpiece that has no Hellboy at all. Step Three - wait a year or more until no one cares about that weird thing Mike did on the side. You get the idea.) It is hobby money, mostly self-contained, and I am assuming I am an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and will sell for cost or below and consider the money well spent for the fun and diversions it will produce. My eldest is going to college in two years and I am the best I have ever been financially so I wouldn't do anything rash now. My wife laughed and encouraged me if that means anything (other than the fact that my wife is awesome of course.)

Edited by Bird

By the way, there really is no hope for me at this point. I appreciate the concern though.

I sold a comic yesterday on ebay for $2 + $3.50 s/h. :applause: It was a 2015 FCBD Fight Club. I told my wife that I have sunk to a new low and apparently my time is worth pennies an hour as the $3.50 was a low quote after fees and I figured I would absorbed some of that s/h in the item itself. Then I got a lowball and made a $2 counter. :sumo:

So yeah, that's how I roll!

(I actually had a great weekend flipping a few items from my LCS FCBD sale! I picked up two more Marvel Masterpieces today in fact. But gotta watch how much time I waste with those sales, as opposed to time wasted here with you kind folk. :kidaround: )

Action Comics 52 is limited to 1 each on Midtown and sold out at TFAW....guess I know which title i'll be racing around grabbing tomorrow

Be careful of this, I flipped through it and saw nothing eventful. May have missed it but nadda

Action Comics 52 is limited to 1 each on Midtown and sold out at TFAW....guess I know which title i'll be racing around grabbing tomorrow

Be careful of this, I flipped through it and saw nothing eventful. May have missed it but nadda

go slower and report back...all it takes is one rando Chinese dude walking across the street to be speculator gold.

Edited by krighton

By the way, there really is no hope for me at this point. I appreciate the concern though.

I sold a comic yesterday on ebay for $2 + $3.50 s/h. :applause: It was a 2015 FCBD Fight Club. I told my wife that I have sunk to a new low and apparently my time is worth pennies an hour as the $3.50 was a low quote after fees and I figured I would absorbed some of that s/h in the item itself. Then I got a lowball and made a $2 counter. :sumo:

So yeah, that's how I roll!

(I actually had a great weekend flipping a few items from my LCS FCBD sale! I picked up two more Marvel Masterpieces today in fact. But gotta watch how much time I waste with those sales, as opposed to time wasted here with you kind folk. :kidaround: )

lol as long as your having fun, its a great pastime

go slower and report back...all it takes is one rando Chinese dude walking across the street to be speculator gold.

Just read it, while it has story reasons, no Chinese Superman appears in the whole issue.

there is NO spec in Action #52, not this week.

When Superman #52 hits in two weeks & the general public, lapsed fans & holdouts scramble to buy the eight part story.

That's the window for the flip.

( been saying that for weeks though...pay attention or you're fired )