• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Let him have his pursuit. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

I have no problem with one person collecting what they want. Just trying to warn the lurkers that read these boards and buy without any foresight or research.

11 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I have no problem with one person collecting what they want. Just trying to warn the lurkers that read these boards and buy without any foresight or research.

I am contributing to the thread. I have put the research into this and i know sometimes i go about it the wrong way but honestly i am only trying to help. Speculating is a tough caper but i'm very confident in this one. Robotech is a low cost low risk investment at the moment. You guys over in the states can pick up the 8 retail variants for around $4 a piece. Theres a 500 copy only for around $10 and the 100 copy is around $30. Chase a NM or thereabouts of macross #1 (cool cover) the franchise(movie) will start from this series. So you might be looking at a total spend of $150-$200 max for 11-12 NM comics. Sit on them for a few years and offload when they are white hot. 

For what it's worth, I've seen some minor uptick in interest in the old 80's Robotech books, by which I mean issues I formerly couldn't give away I can now occasionally get 50 cents to a dollar.

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

For what it's worth, I've seen some minor uptick in interest in the old 80's Robotech books, by which I mean issues I formerly couldn't give away I can now occasionally get 50 cents to a dollar.

I can understand that, but if the new variants were going to worthy of speculating on, I would expect the old books to be even more expensive now than they were in the '80s. I remember a time when they were hot, just around the time I started collecting. I probably have a few issues around somewhere; Should probably ditch them now.

On 14/07/2017 at 8:57 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I can understand that, but if the new variants were going to worthy of speculating on, I would expect the old books to be even more expensive now than they were in the '80s. I remember a time when they were hot, just around the time I started collecting. I probably have a few issues around somewhere; Should probably ditch them now.

Some of the old stuff will heat up in the not to distant future. I would hang on to them for now. The film had a hollywood -script but when Sony took over from Warners Bros they scrapped it and are completing a full rewrite so the film isnt in production yet and they also have to wait untill Aquaman is finished production. (Same director)

If you have a Macross #1 1984 it will heat up the most so sit on it. There were a lot of series and issues that disappointed fans they failed many times and it did not help that the title changed hands through different comic companys about 3-4 times! 

Titan and sony are wanting to start afresh and create a somewhat new franchise with existing title, existing characters and use past story lines as an influence but then add to it.

All ive been reading and watching from current fans and new prospects is genuine excitement that this franchise is being given a new lease of life and a likely chance of becoming the equivalant of some established yet burnt out top worldwide film, toy, comic and associated merchandise brands.

1 hour ago, Wolverine3 said:

Some of the old stuff will heat up in the not to distant future. I would hang on to them for now. The film had a hollywood --script but when Sony took over from Warners Bros they scrapped it and are completing a full rewrite so the film isnt in production yet and they also have to wait untill Aquaman is finished production. (Same director)

If you have a Macross #1 1984 it will heat up the most so sit on it. There were a lot of series and issues that disappointed fans they failed many times and it did not help that the title changed hands through different comic companys about 3-4 times! 

Titan and sony are wanting to start afresh and create a somewhat new franchise with existing title, existing characters and use past story lines as an influence but then add to it.

All ive been reading and watching from current fans and new prospects is genuine excitement that this franchise is being given a new lease of life and a likely chance of becoming the equivalant of some established yet burnt out top worldwide film, toy, comic and associated merchandise brands.

As much of a fan I am of Robotech, I see this going the way of Power Rangers.  It'll have interest from some fans, but mostly the flippers and speculators will be buying, but interest will drop after a few issues when the next "hot" book comes out.

I went through my speculation box's this weekend , and below is a list of  sleeper 1st appearances I have collected over time.    

OPINION?

Future Potential, pure garbage, or never heard of them?

Cheers!

Amazing Fantasy vol2 # 10 1st Nina Price - Vampire by night

Aquaman # 7 1st The Others

Infinity # 4 1st full Thane

Infinity #6 variant 1st Thane Cover

New Avengers # 4 1st Maria Hill

Mighty Avengers # 4 1st Quickfire

Ultron Forever #1 1st Danielle Cage

FCBD Civil War II / Avengers #9 1st Nadia Pym New Wasp

New Avengers #9 1st American Kaiju

Avengers Academy # 21 1st White Tiger Ava Ayala

Batman #1 (rebirth) 1st Gotham Girl

Batman # 21 Duke Thomas

Detective #647 1st Stephanie Brown

Detective # 608 1st Anarky

Infinite Crisis # 5 1st Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle

52 week 11 - 1st Kane Batwoman

Battle Scars #1 1st Nick Fury Jr

Captain America 208/209 1st Armin Zola

Captain America 3 1st new Falcon Joaquin Torres  

Drax #1 (2005) 1st Modern Drax

Dragons claw # 5 1st deaths head (non-uk mag)

FF Annual # 6 1st Franklin Richards 1st Annihilus (still way cheap IMO , have a small stack o copies stashed away )

Green Lantern # 201 1st Kilowog

Green Lantern # 0 1st Simon Baz

Justice League # 31 1st full Jessica cruz

Totally Awesome Hulk #1 1st Cho as Hulk

Totally Awesome Hulk # 3 1st Kid Kaiju

all new Invaders # 6 1st Radiance

Harbinger # 10 1st HARD Corps

Iron Man # 7 1st RiRi Williams

Inhuman # 4 1st Reader and Iso

Inhuman # 7 1st NUR and Auran

All-new Inhumans #1 1st Captain Swain

Marvel Point One # 1 1st Sam Alexander Nova

Marvel Tails # 1 1st Peter Porker Spider-ham

Next wave Agents of hate #1 1st Modern (red hair) Elsa Bloodstone

New Warriors # 4 (2005)  1st Debrii

Secret Warriors # 7 1st Manifold

Sentry # 1 

Shadowland Power Man #1 1st Victor Alvarez Powerman

Shadowman # 13 1st Punk Mambo

Silver Surfer # 73 1st Modern Nebula

Stormwatch #37 1st jenny sparks, Hawksmoor, etc

Supreme Power # 4 1st Modern Nighthawk

Sub Mariner # 50 1st Namorita

Amazing Spider-man # 565 1st Anna Kravinoff

FCBD 2007 spider-man 1st Mr Negative

Spider-man Re-new your vows #1 1st Annie May Parker

Spider-man Deadpool # 8/9 1st Itsy Bitsy

Lois Clark 1 /8 1st full Jonathan Kent

Teen Titans # 26 1st Terra 

Teen titans (2003)# 8/9/10 1st Rose Wilson as Ravager  

Venom 38/39/40 1st Mania

Valiant War Mother #1 1st War Mother

Wildcats # 21 1st Ladytron

Uncanny x-men 317 / generation x # 40 1st "M" Monet St Croix

x-men 65/66 1st Cecilia Reyes

New X-men # 134 1st Quentin Quire

Cheers!

Edited by cbaileypacker

17 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

New Avengers 10 is definitely the Thane book to have.

New avengers 10 is 1st cameo appearance of Thane, on one page, pre-transformation.  Boring.

Infinity #4 is 1st full appearance. :sumo:

17 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Also FF Annual 6 (not 4 as you typed) is Franklin and Annihilus. 

Whoops, typo.  Thanks for the correction (thumbsu

1 minute ago, cbaileypacker said:

New avengers 10 is 1st cameo appearance of Thane, on one page, pre-transformation.  Boring.

Infinity #4 is 1st full appearance. :sumo:

Whoops, typo.  Thanks for the correction (thumbsu

Agreed, but the market has spoken. It never makes sense, but it's out there.

Great list, by the way. Some head scratchers for me, but some solid picks!

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

59 minutes ago, cbaileypacker said:

I went through my speculation box's this weekend , and below is a list of  sleeper 1st appearances I have collected over time.    

OPINION?

Future Potential, pure garbage, or never heard of them?

Cheers!

Amazing Fantasy vol2 # 10 1st Nina Price - Vampire by night

Aquaman # 7 1st The Others

Infinity # 4 1st full Thane

Infinity #6 variant 1st Thane Cover

New Avengers # 4 1st Maria Hill

Mighty Avengers # 4 1st Quickfire

Ultron Forever #1 1st Danielle Cage

FCBD Civil War II / Avengers #9 1st Nadia Pym New Wasp

New Avengers #9 1st American Kaiju

Avengers Academy # 21 1st White Tiger Ava Ayala

Batman #1 (rebirth) 1st Gotham Girl

Batman # 21 Duke Thomas

Detective #647 1st Stephanie Brown

Detective # 608 1st Anarky

Infinite Crisis # 5 1st Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle

52 week 11 - 1st Kane Batwoman

Battle Scars #1 1st Nick Fury Jr

Captain America 208/209 1st Armin Zola

Captain America 3 1st new Falcon Joaquin Torres  

Drax #1 (2005) 1st Modern Drax

Dragons claw # 5 1st deaths head (non-uk mag)

FF Annual # 4 1st Franklin Richards 1st Annihilus (still way cheap IMO , have a small stack o copies stashed away )

Green Lantern # 201 1st Kilowog

Green Lantern # 0 1st Simon Baz

Justice League # 31 1st full Jessica cruz

Totally Awesome Hulk #1 1st Cho as Hulk

Totally Awesome Hulk # 3 1st Kid Kaiju

all new Invaders # 6 1st Radiance

Harbinger # 10 1st HARD Corps

Iron Man # 7 1st RiRi Williams

Inhuman # 4 1st Reader and Iso

Inhuman # 7 1st NUR and Auran

All-new Inhumans #1 1st Captain Swain

Marvel Point One # 1 1st Sam Alexander Nova

Marvel Tails # 1 1st Peter Porker Spider-ham

Next wave Agents of hate #1 1st Modern (red hair) Elsa Bloodstone

New Warriors # 4 (2005)  1st Debrii

Secret Warriors # 7 1st Manifold

Sentry # 1 

Shadowland Power Man #1 1st Victor Alvarez Powerman

Shadowman # 13 1st Punk Mambo

Silver Surfer # 73 1st Modern Nebula

Stormwatch #37 1st jenny sparks, Hawksmoor, etc

Supreme Power # 4 1st Modern Nighthawk

Sub Mariner # 50 1st Namorita

Amazing Spider-man # 565 1st Anna Kravinoff

FCBD 2007 spider-man 1st Mr Negative

Spider-man Re-new your vows #1 1st Annie May Parker

Spider-man Deadpool # 8/9 1st Itsy Bitsy

Lois Clark 1 /8 1st full Jonathan Kent

Teen Titans # 26 1st Terra 

Teen titans (2003)# 8/9/10 1st Rose Wilson as Ravager  

Venom 38/39/40 1st Mania

Valiant War Mother #1 1st War Mother

Wildcats # 21 1st Ladytron

Uncanny x-men 317 / generation x # 40 1st "M" Monet St Croix

x-men 65/66 1st Cecilia Reyes

New X-men # 134 1st Quentin Quire

Cheers!

Love 

All of the Batman picks.

Really like the Gotham Girl concept.  Would have been even better had her brother stuck around a little longer.

Duke seems like a no brainer. I like the We are Robin #1 because people seem to be variant crazy and it is/was cheap.

Detective #647 is another nice pick. I was just looking at Detective #608 and #647 in my collection today.

I've added a lot of Green Lantern #0 to my PC. Seems like another safe bet. High floor/low ceiling.

For Jessica Cruz, Green Lantern #20, Justice #30 and #31 are all my lineup. I don't care which one wins.

I went 50/50 on Iron Man #7 and #9. For the same reason I like Green Lantern #231, I like IM #9.

Stormwatch #37 is great. I have 10 sets of #37-#50, 4 sets of vol. 2 #1-#11, and 10 sets of the Authority #1-29. The coolest thing about the Authority run is that I've purchased all 10 sets for less than I sold 2 sets for when they were hot. This was a hugely important evolution in storytelling that I feel opened the door for the Avengers ( Ultimates ) that you see at the theatre today.

You caught my attention with this one. Next wave Agents of hate #1 1st Modern (red hair) Elsa Bloodstone I've loaded up on all of the Bloodstone #1 I could get my hands on.

The entire Sentry run is in my NFS part of the PC. Had some Miracleman elements that I really enjoyed in the 1st series and Jae Lee covers.

I went with the Spider-man Deadpool #9 for itsy bitsy. Absolutely fun series makes it worth owning either way.

X-men 65 and #66 are interesting but there are many other X-men books around that time worth owning. Operation Zero Tolerance was a pretty nice run imo.

New X-men #134 is a pure winner. Highly recommend it. Lots of opportunities in the Morrison run too.

I like the Infinity books well enough that I have a few sets but I have more faith in New Avengers #10.

I like Jonathan Kent too but not as much as most of the others. 

Thanks for sharing your list. I'm going to do some research on the books you've recommended and will probably add some. The book that I have the least confidence in is the Battle Scars #1 and I have a lot just in case. The confusion as to the first appearance of this character makes the growth slow on this one. I've been loading up on Batman #655 and #656, JLA #1, JSA #1, JLA #43-#46 seems to be a sleeper run, East of West (of course), Monstress, and Redneck. There are many others but I've probably stated them a million times. Thanks again. (thumbsu

25 minutes ago, the authority said:

Love 

All of the Batman picks.

Really like the Gotham Girl concept.  Would have been even better had her brother stuck around a little longer.

She seems central to the King Batman long play story.

Duke seems like a no brainer. I like the We are Robin #1 because people seem to be variant crazy and it is/was cheap.

I also have gone in on Batman 35 (1st Duke in yellow costume in a flash forward panel) and batman Robin annual: 1st Duke as "robin"

Detective #647 is another nice pick. I was just looking at Detective #608 and #647 in my collection today.

I've added a lot of Green Lantern #0 to my PC. Seems like another safe bet. High floor/low ceiling.

For Jessica Cruz, Green Lantern #20, Justice #30 and #31 are all my lineup. I don't care which one wins.

Ditto for 30 and 31 combo pack (thumbsu

I went 50/50 on Iron Man #7 and #9. For the same reason I like Green Lantern #231, I like IM #9.

Same.  I also went in on a stack of 9 1st print and #7 3rd print with her face on the cover !  (Remember Captain marvel 17 2nd print anyone ?)

Stormwatch #37 is great. I have 10 sets of #37-#50, 4 sets of vol. 2 #1-#11, and 10 sets of the Authority #1-29. The coolest thing about the Authority run is that I've purchased all 10 sets for less than I sold 2 sets for when they were hot. This was a hugely important evolution in storytelling that I feel opened the door for the Avengers ( Ultimates ) that you see at the theatre today.

You caught my attention with this one. Next wave Agents of hate #1 1st Modern (red hair) Elsa Bloodstone I've loaded up on all of the Bloodstone #1 I could get my hands on.

Yup, don't sleep on Agents 1

The entire Sentry run is in my NFS part of the PC. Had some Miracleman elements that I really enjoyed in the 1st series and Jae Lee covers.

I went with the Spider-man Deadpool #9 for itsy bitsy. Absolutely fun series makes it worth owning either way.

Agreed. Should have listed it as 8/9

X-men 65 and #66 are interesting but there are many other X-men books around that time worth owning. Operation Zero Tolerance was a pretty nice run imo.

New X-men #134 is a pure winner. Highly recommend it. Lots of opportunities in the Morrison run too.

I like the Infinity books well enough that I have a few sets but I have more faith in New Avengers #10.

Lame :foryou:

I like Jonathan Kent too but not as much as most of the others. 

Thanks for sharing your list. I'm going to do some research on the books you've recommended and will probably add some. The book that I have the least confidence in is the Battle Scars #1 and I have a lot just in case. The confusion as to the first appearance of this character makes the growth slow on this one. I've been loading up on Batman #655 and #656, JLA #1, JSA #1, JLA #43-#46 seems to be a sleeper run, East of West (of course), Monstress, and Redneck. There are many others but I've probably stated them a million times. Thanks again. (thumbsu

I am genuinely most surprised that the 1st "Modern" Drax and Nebula have not gotten more attention with their movie success.

Cheers! ?

Edited by cbaileypacker

I don't think "Modern" Drax or Nebula is particularly noteworthy. It's not quite the same as Groot, who was essentially a one-character when first introduced. I think basically decades have to go by, and for there to be a significant change to be made to the character, for the first appearance in a different comic age to be relevant from a collecting standpoint