• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Cool! Guess I should get around to bagging and boarding these then. I don't sell any of my WW stuff, so it doesn't really matter how high they go, but it's always satisfying to see the collection increase in value. Good for her!

12 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Man do I love when you hear a true artist. Just to hear an artist say "fun" is so refreshing. When is the last time anyone has heard that.

I understand digital is faster, but do they realize how much money they pass up in OA. Or can digital bring you enough cash by going faster? Tough call
as an artist I would think. I still think the OA in the long run wins.

I agree. Really wish that Saga had original art (other than the Paul Pope cover) :|

There are a few artists who try to balance it out - for example, hand draw all covers, splashes, and key pages while digitally producing the other pages that move the story along but don't have the artistic pop, like the 'talking head' pages.

Did we ever decide if 1992 is Modern Age, Copper Age or something else?

Regardless, Jared Leto is in talks for the Bloodshot movie.  Today, Dave Bautista confirmed that he's excited about Eternal Warrior.

Bloodshot had a cameo first appearance in Eternal Warrior #4 (1992), with several panels (and cover silhouette) in Rai #0 (1992) and a full story with cover appearance in Eternal Warrior #5 (1992).

0129340016_300.jpg1169511005_300.jpg0805710013_300.jpg

Rai #0 has a regular "matte" cover and there are some that are "glossy", but CGC has only recently begun differentiating.

Eternal Warrior (Gilad Abrams / Gilad Anni Padda) first appeared in Solar Man of the Atom #10 (1992) with a full appearance (including the cover) on Solar #11 (1992) and later came Eternal Warrior #1 (1992) which had regular, gold (flat, cover price) and gold (embossed, no cover price).

1105816014_300.jpg0146613026_300.jpg0137985010_300.jpg0180863006_300.jpg0129317002_300.jpg

Solar #10 was reprinted around the time of Solar #17, and the second printings have a Roman Numeral II on the cover below the price box.  Before Eternal Warrior #1, he also appeared in Rai #5 and Unity #0, but neither is really collected as an Eternal Warrior book.

These comics are from 25 years ago, but since it wasn't in the 1980s, there are those who consider them "Modern Age".

Edited by valiantman

On 7/31/2017 at 6:19 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

So why doesn't Dodson get the love that other "pinup" artists get? He draws great girls and has been working on female led titles for years. Could that be the problem? Just too much of him out there?

Dodson has great work, but the Quinn stuff is ruining it. 

Really cheeseball. 

Cho's variants on the same run are much better. 

I actually think the character is ruining Dodson and vice-versa.  

Patrick

10 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Dodson has great work, but the Quinn stuff is ruining it. 

Really cheeseball. 

Cho's variants on the same run are much better. 

I actually think the character is ruining Dodson and vice-versa.  

Patrick

What do you mean? Dodson's run on Quinn was years ago. Is he back on Quinn now???

19 hours ago, valiantman said:

Rai #0 has a regular "matte" cover and there are some that are "glossy", but CGC has only recently begun differentiating.

I've picked up about six or seven copies of Rai #0 and I don't think I've ever found a glossy one... how noticeable is it, like obviously different? Also, how much more scarce is that glossy version?

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

That's a decade(s) old write-up on the differences.  Since that time, it has been discovered that the Rai #0 Glossy cover is always shorter than the internal pages.  So, it is possible to differentiate between regular (matte) and glossy just from a cover scan/picture.

The glossy version should show the edge of the first page, mostly black with sections of magenta, blue, green, blue, etc.

0291681010_1200.jpg

The regular "matte" version (non-glossy) either doesn't show any of the internal pages or just shows a tiny amount.

1169511005_1200.jpg

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

That's a decade(s) old write-up on the differences.  Since that time, it has been discovered that the Rai #0 Glossy cover is always shorter than the internal pages.  So, it is possible to differentiate between regular (matte) and glossy just from a cover scan/picture.

The glossy version should show the edge of the first page, mostly black with sections of magenta, blue, green, blue, etc.

0291681010_1200.jpg

The regular "matte" version (non-glossy) either doesn't show any of the internal pages or just shows a tiny amount.

1169511005_1200.jpg

Why show a 9.8? Show your other one!

22 hours ago, valiantman said:

Did we ever decide if 1992 is Modern Age, Copper Age or something else?

Regardless, Jared Leto is in talks for the Bloodshot movie.  Today, Dave Bautista confirmed that he's excited about Eternal Warrior.

Bloodshot had a cameo first appearance in Eternal Warrior #4 (1992), with several panels (and cover silhouette) in Rai #0 (1992) and a full story with cover appearance in Eternal Warrior #5 (1992).

0129340016_300.jpg1169511005_300.jpg0805710013_300.jpg

Eternal Warrior (Gilad Abrams / Gilad Anni Padda) first appeared in Solar Man of the Atom #10 (1992) with a full appearance (including the cover) on Solar #11 (1992) and later came Eternal Warrior #1 (1992) which had regular, gold (flat, cover price) and gold (embossed, no cover price).

1105816014_300.jpg0146613026_300.jpg0137985010_300.jpg0180863006_300.jpg0129317002_300.jpg

Solar #10 was reprinted around the time of Solar #17, and the second printings have a Roman Numeral II on the cover below the price box.  Before Eternal Warrior #1, he also appeared in Rai #5 and Unity #0, but neither is really collected as an Eternal Warrior book.

These comics are from 25 years ago, but since it wasn't in the 1980s, there are those who consider them "Modern Age".

Personally I think the Copper Age boundaries should be expanded, with Early Copper including the rise of multiple new Indy companies, and Late Copper including the addition of Indy companies with new superhero lines (Valiant, Image, Ultraverse, Comics Greatest World, Milestone, etc.). The relaunching of some of Marvel's long-running series (ASM, FF, Avengers, etc.) and the end of some of those new universes is a good place for the transition to a new age.

Supergirl #12B by Stanley "Artgerm" Lau hits the shelves next week. This is about as sure as a sure thing gets for an inexpensive variant. Its ironic that its another #12. His best Batgirl cover, at least imo, was Batgirl #12. As for modern Supergirl covers, I'd rate this right behind The AH! LoSH #23 variant and the Infinite Crisis #3B variant by JG Jones. It will probably be more sought after than the Jones' cover due to Lau's growing fan base. 

Edited by the authority

I'm anticipating most shops will go heavier than usual for the Supergirl variant next week... and yes, it is a lovely cover. Speaking of Artgerm, the Robotech cover is very nice, and while it may not hit a high value point, it's sure to be a cover people are willing to buy.

On this note, you mentioned Batgirl #12, and I'd agree that's my favorite of his Batgirl covers, but his #9 from that same volume is really  nice, as well as #14 from that run which also features Supergirl. Plus, both are a fraction of the price of #12 right now.

Edited by BishopT

25 minutes ago, the authority said:

Supergirl #12B by Stanley "Artgerm" Lau hits the shelves next week. This is about as sure as a sure thing gets for an inexpensive variant. Its ironic that its another #12. His best Batgirl cover, at least imo, was Batgirl #12. As for modern Supergirl covers, I'd rate this right behind The AH! LoSH #23 variant and the Infinite Crisis #3B variant by JG Jones. It will probably be more sought after than the Jones' cover due to Lau's growing fan base. 

looks good

Edited by revat