• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What series do you secretly hate that the comic community always praises?

190 posts in this topic

Authors 'requiring you to use your brain' are boring authors trying to show how clever they are instead of focussing on actually writing an entertaining story. This 'clever writing' that makes the writers feel so genius-like and the readers who swallow the Kool Aid think wow look how smart I am I'm reading this-just an utter abomination of the entire purpose of writing fiction.

Shakespeare did not try to be 'clever'. He focussed on entertaining stories.

Saga

I love science fiction so this one should have been a cinch for me to get into, but I just don't get all the love this book gets. I cannot say I hate it (I cannot think of any book I really hate,) I just don't get it.

Shakespeare did not try to be 'clever'. He focused on entertaining stories.

oh sweet jesus that is so wrong.

Had Shakespeare merely been entertaining he would not have been so iconic.

His ability to weave subtext and poke barbs at the aristocracy while entertaining the masses was AT MINIMUM "clever" and more accurately brilliant.

to quote him kav... I do desire we be better strangers...

If you find his stuff to be full of subtlety I am speechless. He fairly hits you over the hammer with stuff.

I've found plenty of broadly praised material to be overrated, but can't think of much I actually detest. Even when it's failed to grab my interest, or it seems dated now, I can usually see why it would have (or had) appeal. There is also plenty of stuff which doesn't even look interesting to me, so I've not ever read it, and can't really say if I'd hate it or not.

That's strange, because I do enjoy Alan Moore. But yes! You've figured me out! Maybe just maybe........ Me Talk Pretty One Day like Grant Morrison

It looks like "Unobest" has disappeared. I guess we did know best then ;)

Superman

Other than a storyline here and there he has always been so boring to me.

I used to be the same. Have you read All-Star Superman, Red Son or Injustice: Gods Among Us? They all give non-standard treatments of the man in blue and have changed my opinion.

There have been good story lines. I have wanted to read the Red Son stuff. But as a whole Superman comics are not that good in my opinion. (shrug)

Yeah I would agree.