• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westworld 2016
2 2

527 posts in this topic

I am one episode behind so I am hoping this one will help me at least want to keep watching. The only part I enjoyed in the last episode was Hopkins demonstrating his ability while eating lunch. Like I said earlier maybe by the end of the season it will all tie together and look great. Right now its getting harder and harder to keep watching. I cant find anyone at work to discuss it with either because they quit watching it too.

So many scenes with no payoff. It's like walking across a Jackson pollack painting... No pattern in sight after 5 episodes. Just mysteries and endless groundwork to a payoff probably years away...

And really, why do the actresses and actors playing robots have to be naked all the time? Just cause they're in the shop? Not to mention do they force the guests to all sleep at midnight so the workers can go around and clean up and gather bodies for fixing? And get it all finished overnight? Don't many type A guest get up at 6AM to go for a run around the park? Between late night reverses and early risers that give the drew a few hours do gather and fix all the hosts.

Yeah yeah, why even ask these questions.... Just enjoy the ride.

So many scenes with no payoff. It's like walking across a Jackson pollack painting... No pattern in sight after 5 episodes. Just mysteries and endless groundwork to a payoff probably years away...

And really, why do the actresses and actors playing robots have to be naked all the time? Just cause they're in the shop? Not to mention do they force the guests to all sleep at midnight so the workers can go around and clean up and gather bodies for fixing? And get it all finished overnight? Don't many type A guest get up at 6AM to go for a run around the park? Between late night reverses and early risers that give the drew a few hours do gather and fix all the hosts.

:roflmao: You certainly make some good points.

I am one episode behind so I am hoping this one will help me at least want to keep watching. The only part I enjoyed in the last episode was Hopkins demonstrating his ability while eating lunch. Like I said earlier maybe by the end of the season it will all tie together and look great. Right now its getting harder and harder to keep watching. I cant find anyone at work to discuss it with either because they quit watching it too.

(thumbs u

Surprised you followed my reasoning with all my typos.. I'll keep watching, boy so far it's doesn't have nearly the impact of other shows that are say, less "ambitious". Actually makes me want to try to watch the original 90 minute film just to see the storyline work its way thru to the ending in one sitting... But I remember it's a mostly cheesy.

I did watch the original movie a few weeks back and from what I can tell is what's happening in the series in greater detail translates to what happened to the machines; particularly the character played by Yul Brunner, who simply rebels after being shot 3 times by one of the tourists over a course of 3 days.

What makes the series interesting and watchable are the intricacies in how the machines become aware and what happens as a result. In the movie the main character playing the machine gets shot 3 or 4 times and then goes rogue. No time spent on how he becomes aware, his level of awareness or exactly why it's rebelled. He simply goes all Terminator wanting to get the guy that shot him.

if i remember correctly (watched the movie again a month ago)... there is a brief mention by the technicians that there was some inconsistencies or issues with some of the bots~

I think you are right.

I did watch the original movie a few weeks back and from what I can tell is what's happening in the series in greater detail translates to what happened to the machines; particularly the character played by Yul Brunner, who simply rebels after being shot 3 times by one of the tourists over a course of 3 days.

What makes the series interesting and watchable are the intricacies in how the machines become aware and what happens as a result. In the movie the main character playing the machine gets shot 3 or 4 times and then goes rogue. No time spent on how he becomes aware, his level of awareness or exactly why it's rebelled. He simply goes all Terminator wanting to get the guy that shot him.

Very good points!

And from what they showed next week...

...where Maeve Millay told the maintenance worker he is going to make some changes to her programming, they are becoming more aware to even make that call.

P23xcmO.jpg

I'm not sure in the movie version that they were becoming more aware, and the robot rebellion was in no way limited to Yul's character. You had the Black Knight, the snake in the desert, and those Roman soldiers in Roman World killing everyone in sight. If I recall correctly, didn't they chalk it up to a virus that was spreading amongst the machines?

Good points, but I do think in time we will get answers. My biggest thing is all these robots are in loops doing the same thing every day over and over again, but what happens when a human takes the robot out of the loop ( Dolores ) , does the other robots she would interact with just keep going ? How does she end up always getting interviewed by people at night time when she was on the road with those 2 dudes? I think the timeline is a little screwed up , everything doesn't fall in place

as to the nudity, sure Hopkins stresses they aren't real people. but HBO is criticized for too much gratuitous nudity since GOT, so to leave it in there with a lead character explaining thats "Nah, its fine!" feels a little "corporately condoned" at best.

Im watching knowing its actresses playing robots and wondering what THEY are thinking when each -script causes them to lie around buck naked each week!

Nusity is great, but overdoing it is lame writing and filmmaking. I have a friend who made a film, got released, where he emphasized his european film rots by having a couple just lounge in bed naked for a long scene. Just normal people with normal bodies, not lit very creatively or cleverly. His point was thats what real couples do, sit around naked and talk.

But doing it at home, and WATCHING others do it in a film are very different experiences. Just awkward.

Interesting episode last night!

I had a feeling that boy...

...was DR Ford.

And it sure focused quite a bit on Maeve. Especially when...

...she has Felix boost her intelligence and other capabilities. But when doing this, they realize someone else has been playing around with her programming.

And I thought I caught something in one of the dark scenes that made me realize they were recognizing the original movie.

PfHxT5C.jpg

:whee:

Next week should be interesting!

Glad someone else spotted Yul Brunner!

What a glorious Easter Egg.

Still a good show, but they need to get some clarification.

I mean - yes the techs are humping some hosts - but I doubt that would compare with "hey guys, a host woke up , grabbed a scalpel and blackmailed me"

Kinda more important than selling android shags out to your mates, I'd have thought...

Aside from Yul, haven't they implied before that there was another "incident" years ago? Maybe my mind if just filling in the blanks, but I figured they've been giving nods to the original from the jump. Please tell me I'm not nuts.

The production value is A+, but at times the show puts me and my son to sleep. I think we have fallen asleep 4 times watching it. Especially the 3rd episode. zzz

It's interesting, has some great moments but needs an extra kick in the paints, otherwise if it doesn't fix its pacing problems soon I will likely only use the show for insomnia.

I haven't seen episode 6, but will hopefully tonight. :wishluck:

I really love the ideas and concepts, hopefully things get better.

Am enjoying this series but the sixth episode kinda threw me when...

The techs were blackmailed into upgrading the robots abilities and intelligence. Why couldn't they have simply lowered her intelligence to insufficiently_thoughtful_person and just send her back for reprogramming. Or better yet, can't they just shut her down? Seemed pretty crazy that two techs couldn't figure this out!

The production value is A+, but at times the show puts me and my son to sleep. I think we have fallen asleep 4 times watching it. Especially the 3rd episode. zzz

It's interesting, has some great moments but needs an extra kick in the paints, otherwise if it doesn't fix its pacing problems soon I will likely only use the show for insomnia.

I haven't seen episode 6, but will hopefully tonight. :wishluck:

I really love the ideas and concepts, hopefully things get better.

It was daylight savings time last night so I'll blame that on falling asleep 15 min before the end, but that would never happen for a GOT episode. It's an interesting series but wouldn't lose any sleep (literally) if it gets canned.