• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Comiclink auction thread, post 'em if you got 'em

1,141 posts in this topic

My one and only win.

ASM%2015%20CGC%207.0%20507.jpg

This was a very sharp book and one that caught my eye. It presents a bit stronger than a 7.0 in my opinion and that is not because of the old label.

+1 FC looks great. Look 8.0+ to me. But as we all know it is imposible to grade from a FC scan alone.

I was liking this book but couldn't tell if the right edge was tanning or the oil slick effect. It seemed to me the new slabs did ok in terms of GPA prices but a few like this FF 25 went cheap (a 7.5 went for pretty much the same cost)

Fantastic%20Four%2025%20CGC%20New_zpsenpvpuht.jpg

Sweet copy, looks like a tightly graded 8.0 to me (of course, I can't see the BC).

As far as the newton rings/oil slicks and possible edge tanning, I think there is none.It is all newton rings.

There is a pattern to look for, it all stems from pressure points.

...if you look closely along the edges of the book, look for the refractive puddle*....this is a high pressure point....., and then compare how it has what I can only describe as a pixalated oil slick-ish look....to the refractive puddle.

That is the giveaway that the case has newton rings and it isn't foxing or tanning that you're looking at.

*There is a pronounced refractive bubble, on the bottom right corner of the slab.....train your eye on that refractive pubble first, then follow the rest of the newton ring outline around the border of the case and contrast the two with the entirety of the pattern of the more pronounced pressure spots around the border of the case.

In every slab that I have looked at online, the pattern has been there, if you look close enough.

Anyway, FF 25 is a pretty weak book (and moreso, FF 26).They are just not books that tend to sell that well, in relation to Overstreet and/or GPA values.

Raw or slabbed, unless the books are crazy high grade, you can usually score them at attractive prices.

Especially raw.... raw VF's seem to just about always sell about 40% below Overstreet.Not that you see sales of accurately graded raw VF's on eBay very often, but when you do, it's not for all that much.

Neither FF 25 and 26 has the punch/demand that FF 12 has...I think these 2 books went up in Overstreet over the years, as a byproduct of FF 12 going up so much over the past 10+ years.

Because FF 25 and FF 26 are second tier keys, compared to FF 12, they just can't sustain the increased prices that was brought on by FF 12 being sought after as a bigger key, than it had been during the 1990's.

To hit nice percentages of GPA, they have to be slabbed 9.2's or better.

This particular copy looks like a pretty solid 8.0 .....again, just by going off the FC but the spine ticks below the top staple and the corner fold at the TRC are the main cuplrits, in my eyes.Otherwise it's encroaching on a 9.0, at least.

Add into the fact that bidders (like yourself, in this instance) have less confidence, in the grade of the book BC of the effect of the newton rings.............well, the odds are that you will be able to buy the next slabbed 8.0 at around the same price as this one sold for.

Possibly even less.

Then again,what do I know? ;)

I put a few last second bids in and got beat in all three. The prices seemed pretty high for the key books I was watching and the new slab didn't seem to cause any drop in prices.

I won the ASM 15 in 5.5. It is in a new holder, and I felt like it went for a lot less as a result. I don't have GPA, but, looking at eBay asks and completed, it is way less.

I didn't like the top edge on it, but everything else looks nice. I've also heard speculation that Kraven is in the next movie and I've been chasing a copy for a while.

I've held a new slab in hand, but didn't really get a chance to inspect it. Personally, I might take advantage of the discount someone else is offering if I don't like it.

RADE70722016520_11366_zps8c6ehwuf.jpg

ran the high grade numbers for day 1 of Clink

(havent compared to old/mid cases yet, give me a minute!)

27 books in 9.6 or 9.8 in new slabs sold last night (i focused on those since those would be the books most affected by the introduction of a wave)

6 books finished above GPA

20 books finished under GPA

1 finished at GPA

Worst were the two Conans that sold for about 1/2 of GPA

Best was an ASM108 in 9.8 (black cover) that finished at $1600 after last gpa was 568 *but very rare in 9.8

take out the high and the low and the average was about 9% under GPA.

not good statistical analysis, but just getting started.

I won the ASM 15 in 5.5. It is in a new holder, and I felt like it went for a lot less as a result. I don't have GPA, but, looking at eBay asks and completed, it is way less.

I didn't like the top edge on it, but everything else looks nice. I've also heard speculation that Kraven is in the next movie and I've been chasing a copy for a while.

I've held a new slab in hand, but didn't really get a chance to inspect it. Personally, I might take advantage of the discount someone else is offering if I don't like it.

I wouldn't say the 5.5 went much cheaper then if it would have been in a older case based on GPA and the rest of the auction. Book went for $300 and the last sale was $325 but looking at 5.0/6.0 its probably a $350ish book. The older case 4.0 went for $186 which is 80% of GPA just as a comparison.

27 books in 9.6 or 9.8 in new slabs sold last night (i focused on those since those would be the books most affected by the introduction of a wave)

1 finished at GPA

Best was an ASM108 in 9.8 (black cover) that finished at $1600 after last gpa was 568 *but very rare in 9.8

Love data! I'd guess the "older" CGC slabs were also running about 10% under GPA if you compiled a cross section of those slabs. From what I was seeing the new slabs were definitely not going for crazy cheap prices.

I wouldn't say the 5.5 went much cheaper then if it would have been in a older case based on GPA and the rest of the auction. Book went for $300 and the last sale was $325 but looking at 5.0/6.0 its probably a $350ish book. The older case 4.0 went for $186 which is 80% of GPA just as a comparison.

So you're saying it went for less, but not much less, right?

Well, just my luck. I decided to sit this Focused Auction out to be responsible and pay off some bills. But I kept my eye on a few things and it seems I missed out on some really good deals.

The keys seemed to be doing fine, but is it just me me or does it seem like everything else was selling for a discount?

What really alarms me is I sent Clink some nice books for their auctions in July and August. But the results on comparable books in this auction make me sick. I'm seriously having second thoughts and considering just calling them and pulling the books. I really don't know what to do.

Awesome auction if you were a buyer though.

As a seller, last night was not good for me. :(

Well, just my luck. I decided to sit this Focused Auction out to be responsible and pay off some bills. But I kept my eye on a few things and it seems I missed out on some really good deals.

The keys seemed to be doing fine, but is it just me me or does it seem like everything else was selling for a discount?

What really alarms me is I sent Clink some nice books for their auctions in July and August. But the results on comparable books in this auction make me sick. I'm seriously having second thoughts and considering just calling them and pulling the books. I really don't know what to do.

ASM 129 didnt do well as a key.

9.6 in a new slab sold for $2309... while the 12 month GPA is $3326. (30% under!)

1 finished at GPA

I was wondering about this. Thanks for sharing your data. There are three X-Men books I would love to bid on this week, but will not because they are in the new case.

ASM 129 didnt do well as a key.

9.6 in a new slab sold for $2309... while the 12 month GPA is $3326. (30% under!)

The wrap held it way down.

It went for pretty much what I'd expect it to sell in the ComicLink auctions since other then a few select keys books they closed at least 10% off of GPA averages. Of the 10 new slabs I was watching none of them went for less then I'd expect a older slab to go for.

It went for pretty much what I'd expect it to sell in the ComicLink auctions since other then a few select keys books they closed at least 10% off of GPA averages. Of the 10 new slabs I was watching none of them went for less then I'd expect a older slab to go for.

So, again, you're saying it went for less, but not much less, right?

So, again, you're saying it went for less, but not much less, right?

Less then GPA - agree. Lesser then older CGC books in this auction - no.

1 finished at GPA

Which GPA number were you using, 90 day average, last sale, etc?

1 finished at GPA

Which GPA number were you using, 90 day average, last sale, etc?

i deferred to most recent activity.

if there was a 90 day average I used that

if not, but there was 12 month average i used that

if neither i used the most recent sale as long as it looked in line with other activity around it. I tried to be fair.

when dealing in the nose bleed grades there's often few sales for comparison sake...