• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

So now we know that $90K is the right figure to bring every 9.8 copy of this book out of the woodwork.

I wonder how many more new 9.8 copies we'll see soon? I'm sure every collector and dealer with a great copy is submitting to CGC as we speak.

So now we know that $90K is the right figure to bring every 9.8 copy of this book out of the woodwork.

I wonder how many more new 9.8 copies we'll see soon? I'm sure every collector and dealer with a great copy is submitting to CGC 9.6 is working the press as we speak.

I wonder how many more new 9.8 copies we'll see soon? I'm sure every collector and dealer with a great copy is submitting to CGC as we speak.

It will be interesting. This book already sold for good money in 9.8 though ($20K isn't exactly chump change) so I would think it would be submitted if someone thought they had a 9.8. It's not like it was a $1K book that is suddenly worth real money, it was already worth real money. So it's possible that not that many more show up. 2-3 more in the next 5 years would be "normal" so let's see if it's a lot more than that.

I wonder how many more new 9.8 copies we'll see soon? I'm sure every collector and dealer with a great copy is submitting to CGC 9.6 is working the press as we speak.

I was trying to be diplomatic.

It will be interesting. This book already sold for good money in 9.8 though ($20K isn't exactly chump change) so I would think it would be submitted if someone thought they had a 9.8. It's not like it was a $1K book that is suddenly worth real money, it was already worth real money. So it's possible that not that many more show up. 2-3 more in the next 5 years would be "normal" so let's see if it's a lot more than that.

Maybe, but if I was the owner of a 9.8 copy, at $20K maybe pride of ownership is enough to cause me to sit tight, particularly if I don't see the census moving much.

At $90K, I'd be like "screw pride of ownership", let me unload my copy before these people come to their senses, and before a bunch of new 9.8 copies appear in the census and flood the market.

I, too, would be surprised if a bunch more 9.8 copies show up. It's just not that easy to find them or 'make' them - consider that for the prior FF issue, there is still not a single 9.8 copy.

Maybe, but if I was the owner of a 9.8 copy, at $20K maybe pride of ownership is enough to cause me to sit tight, particularly if I don't see the census moving much.

At $90K, I'd be like "screw pride of ownership", let me unload my copy before these people come to their senses, and before a bunch of new 9.8 copies appear in the census and flood the market.

Yep. At 90K it's such a no brainer.

I'm very curious to see what happens with the new listing. I would guess - and it's just a guess - that the underbidder for the Heritage book ended up with the Curator copy from ComicLink. Are there three collectors who are willing to enter that stratosphere for this book?

That's the big question, isn't it?

I agree with your speculation.

I would guess - and it's just a guess - that the underbidder for the Heritage book ended up with the Curator copy from ComicLink.

I'm very curious to see what happens with the new listing. I would guess - and it's just a guess - that the underbidder for the Heritage book ended up with the Curator copy from ComicLink. Are there three collectors who are willing to enter that stratosphere for this book?

I'm going with only 2.

I'm going with only 2.

Perhaps one of the 2 will want a second copy????? I know I like have multiple copies of some nice books. That being said, none of them are $80,000 books. :whee:

Perhaps the owners of the first two books will feel compelled to defend the price of the 3rd book.

Perhaps the owners of the first two books will feel compelled to defend the price of the 3rd book.

hm

hm

Possible in an open auction scenario but there's no need when the ask is $90,000.

Stunning copy btw, it does look like the nicest of the three.

Not sure what it is with the top-end Bostons but the cover inks look thicker and wetter than some other pedigrees..... :cloud9:

For comparison. Unfortunately, it's not definitive, as the scanners and settings are likely different - for instance, the label on the middle copy shows that the brightness setting was jacked waaaay up. For my own preferences, the whites and blacks of the Curator copy win the day, even if it might be slightly inferior structurally.

KU7tg4.jpg

Y8vomh.jpg

OtEpBP.jpg

Based on experience, I would guess that in person, the Boston and Curator copies might be superior in eye appeal/freshness.

But, the fact is that once you get into a relatively late date like 1966, there's a very good chance that a non-ped will have just as much or even better eye appeal.

That could have been me. :blush: If it was, I'd be thinking about a retirement fund diversified across many investment classes, and not sinking everything into comic books alone. That said, the Dow is up 60% over the past ten years, which includes the collapse of the mortgage securities market and the resulting sharp decline in US stocks in 2008-09.

These days, its all about the hot book of the moment, I reckon.

I remember reading stories with the Panther as a kid and thinking it was a great character that wasn't being used to his potential. So I think now we see a lot of people learning more about him and coming to the same conclusion.

And I remember reading stories with the panther and thinking this is just a regular guy with no powers in a rubber cat suit, batman minus the utility belt.

A pioneer for black characters though

I think you mean regular guy who was also the richest man in the world, as smart as Reed Richards.and the head of a hidden highly advanced country, then yeah

I don't know!

Whenever I see the Black Panther, it reminds me of the Phantom for some reason. Not exactly sure why, but maybe it's just me. (shrug)

FF 52 aside, I would love to see a nice copy with the first appearance of the Phantom. Virtually an impossible book to get since it was out a few months before Action 1 and apparently the Phantom is the first hero with a skin tight costume which would become the standard for almost all super heroes going forward.

FF 52 aside, I would love to see a nice copy with the first appearance of the Phantom. Virtually an impossible book to get since it was out a few months before Action 1 and apparently the Phantom is the first hero with a skin tight costume which would become the standard for almost all super heroes going forward.

I wasn't even aware that the Phantom had a comic book before Action 1, but he was already an established comic strip character well before his appearance in a comic book.