• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

Some people have money to blow and they dont care if its a bad buy or not

This is a classic case of 'what I collect is cool, what you collect is stupid'. You spend big money on your AF15's. Why ridicule those that spend big money on something other than AF15 ? FF 52 is a cool book with a much better cover than AF15 at a fraction of the cost. Comic collecting is more than just owning an AF15. Sorry.

The word 'stupid' is a bit strong. I would say collecting comics is a risky business when it comes to money. I will clarify it by saying paying a premium for ff 52 cgc 9.8 is much riskier than spending that same money elsewhere. But hey, the buyers of these ff52 probably have enough money to absorb a hit if the value went down

Given that it`s now almost a 6-figure book in 9.8, which is something I still can`t get my head around

I hear you.

Out of all the big money sales on key books over the last few years, these two back-to-back sales of the 9.8 FF52s are, by far, the most mind blowing.

Two bidders getting caught up in the heat/spirit of a live or ebay auction, I can see a price driven to crazy extremes.

But, then following it up with basically a straight out sale of the Curator copy for $6K more was incredible!

It has to be THE STORY on comic sales in the last few years, even surpassing historic sales of Action 1s (which can be rationalized why the big money was spent)

I agree. This came completely from left field. No one could have predicted it.

Given that it`s now almost a 6-figure book in 9.8, which is something I still can`t get my head around

I hear you.

Out of all the big money sales on key books over the last few years, these two back-to-back sales of the 9.8 FF52s are, by far, the most mind blowing.

Two bidders getting caught up in the heat/spirit of a live or ebay auction, I can see a price driven to crazy extremes.

But, then following it up with basically a straight out sale of the Curator copy for $6K more was incredible!

It has to be THE STORY on comic sales in the last few years, even surpassing historic sales of Action 1s (which can be rationalized why the big money was spent)

I agree. This came completely from left field. No one could have predicted it.

+1

This is a classic case of 'what I collect is cool, what you collect is stupid'. You spend big money on your AF15's. Why ridicule those that spend big money on something other than AF15 ? FF 52 is a cool book with a much better cover than AF15 at a fraction of the cost. Comic collecting is more than just owning an AF15. Sorry.

No one's saying that there's anything wrong with owning a FF 52. It's just that the spike in price over previous sales was so massive.

It would be like a 9.4 AF 15 suddenly selling for $900K rather than the $450K it did sell for on Heritage. The $450K represented a relatively reasonable incremental rise over previous sales. The $84K (and now $90K) for a 9.8 FF 52 is a moonshot over previous sales, even accounting for movie hype.

No one's saying that there's anything wrong with owning a FF 52. It's just that the spike in price over previous sales was so massive.

It would be like a 9.4 AF 15 suddenly selling for $900K rather than the $450K it did sell for on Heritage. The $450K represented a relatively reasonable incremental rise over previous sales. The $84K (and now $90K) for a 9.8 FF 52 is a moonshot over previous sales, even accounting for movie hype.

Whenever there is movie hype, there is no 'reasonable' incremental rise. Sales of FF52 in 9.8 a few years ago were in the 20K ballpark. So these sales represent a 4 to 5 X increase. Look at something like Hulk 271. Before the movie hype a 9.8 could be had for 50.00 . Post announcement, it hit a high of 1250. That's a 25 X increase. There are many other examples, TTA 13, that would show this kind of insane rise. The bottom line here is nothing should surprise in this market. It's crazy !

Whenever there is movie hype, there is no 'reasonable' incremental rise. Sales of FF52 in 9.8 a few years ago were in the 20K ballpark. So these sales represent a 4 to 5 X increase. Look at something like Hulk 271. Before the movie hype a 9.8 could be had for 50.00 . Post announcement, it hit a high of 1250. That's a 25 X increase. There are many other examples, TTA 13, that would show this kind of insane rise. The bottom line here is nothing should surprise in this market. It's crazy !

True that. Of all the sales results I have seen for books that I thought were insane considering how common the books are in the assigned grade or better, this result is nowhere near the top of the "crazy list" and actually is a lot easier to understand than most.

Yes, but you have to factor in the law of big numbers. A $1 book could skyrocket by 100X, but at the end of the day that only translates in $100. A lot of collectors can afford $100, and a lot can afford $1250 from your example.

For a $20K book to move by 4-5X, that`s huge in absolute dollars, and the number of collectors who can afford that dwindles down significantly.

Guess the 2 9.8 sales brought out a freshly graded 9.6. Shocker.

I'm guessing you're talking about the book in ComicLink. If or when it sells, I think it might be more telling than the 9.8 sales. It's far from the toughest FF to find in 9.6.

I'm guessing you're talking about the book in ComicLink. If or when it sells, I think it might be more telling than the 9.8 sales. It's far from the toughest FF to find in 9.6.

Yup.

I have to say, that fresh 9.6 is absolutely glorious! Colors are vivid, nice centering and the back cover is pretty white. It will be interesting to see if and what it sells for.

I have to say, that fresh 9.6 is absolutely glorious! Colors are vivid, nice centering and the back cover is pretty white. It will be interesting to see if and what it sells for.

It absolutely is a great looking 9.6. I'd be completely happy with that book and spend the other $50K plus on a lot of other sweet books.

It absolutely is a great looking 9.6. I'd be completely happy with that book and spend the other $50K plus on a lot of other sweet books.

+1,000,000 That is one of the nicest 9.6s I've seen... of any book