• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

You must realize that there are high end collectors who want to own vintage books for the sake of owning and enjoying them, and consider the cost as the price of being in the hobby.

Has it really gotten to where it has to be about return on investment?

You must realize that there are high end collectors who want to own vintage books for the sake of owning and enjoying them, and consider the cost as the price of being in the hobby.

I think this exact thing every time price gets brought up. Sometimes people use disposable income as just that. Disposable.

To me, if I'm in the financial position to drop close to 100k on a comic book that has only just recently exploded in cost, that 100k doesn't really mean that much to me.

Same with buying a 200k Lamborghini, or a 25k watch. Luxury items are enjoyed by those few fortunate and hard working souls with enough disposable income to acquire them. The money doesn't mean anything to them, or at least not as much as it would to the rest of the unwashed masses.

Athletes get fines all the time for doing something wrong. Does it hurt Lebron James to get a $20,000 fine when me makes in excess of $20 million per year? Nope. If I get a fine for 20 grand, I'm going to have to start selling possessions to pay it.

Same with comics. Buy what you can afford.

I think this exact thing every time price gets brought up. Sometimes people use disposable income as just that. Disposable.

To me, if I'm in the financial position to drop close to 100k on a comic book that has only just recently exploded in cost, that 100k doesn't really mean that much to me.

Same with buying a 200k Lamborghini, or a 25k watch. Luxury items are enjoyed by those few fortunate and hard working souls with enough disposable income to acquire them. The money doesn't mean anything to them, or at least not as much as it would to the rest of the unwashed masses.

Athletes get fines all the time for doing something wrong. Does it hurt Lebron James to get a $20,000 fine when me makes in excess of $20 million per year? Nope. If I get a fine for 20 grand, I'm going to have to start selling possessions to pay it.

Same with comics. Buy what you can afford.

wow... well put...

I also believe just as we see retirees dropping money on classic vehicles... collectibles such as comics etc.. will soon be on par... if not already...

Wow. Didn't think people would struggle with this one. Opportunity usually equates with some greed. For example, take note of all the Prince items that have suddenly appeared on Ebay. Would this have happened if he were still alive?

QED.

I presume this sold at auction and the reserve wasn't $82K, right?

I don't see greed here on the seller's part. That's what it got bid up to. Should they offer a $30K refund?

Unless he/she has 12 shills manipulating the price. That would be greedy.

wow... well put...

I also believe just as we see retirees dropping money on classic vehicles... collectibles such as comics etc.. will soon be on par... if not already...

Collectibles markets across the board are doing well. Not just comics.

That's probably more related to the fact that your money sitting in a bank is doing nothing than anything else. There is a LOT of money out there with no place to go.

Heh. Let's hope so for them. An X-Men #49 (original - 1st Polaris) in 9.8 just sold for $5,900. Not as bad as $14K for Werewolf by Night #32 or even FF #52, but still...

It's not entirely clear to me whether you are questioning the "FF 52 market" or the "9.8 market."

Or both.

I agree. I think the comic was bought by a very well-heeled collector who is positively determined to assemble the "best" run of something however defined. Whether the next sale is higher or lower will be of no concern to him because he already has the issue and his focus will be on those he doesn't have.

:preach:

What's going to aggravate this fellow though is when this sale draws "better", however defined, copies out of the woodwork.

:o

$90,000

OtEpBP.jpg

Just got back from spending time with the seller. He often lists books with Josh at elevated prices so when he got his "offer accepted" message, he didn't even know what it meant! He still can't believe he got this price for it...

It's gorgeous. I attended the 2012 Heritage auction of the Curator FFs held in NYC, expressly to see them first hand and try to buy a few, and they were ridiculously well preserved. I've never seen 50 year old SA comics look as fresh and bright as these did. In a few cases, there were non-Curator high grade issues being sold at the same time, like a 9.4 of the black covered FF #31. Held side by side, the Curator copy had whiter paper and inks that popped off the page. Like the GA collectors say about the Church comics, until you see SA books that are phenomenally preserved, you don't realize how much nearly all copies, even near mint ones, have generally lost a bit to yellowing and fading.

I'm sure it seemed insane for the buyer to pay over $22,000 for the 52 that day, or on another day $17,000 for the beautiful Boston copy. I wouldn't completely rule out that the new record sales of this ish might also one day seem prescient rather than insane. Regardless, the new owner of the Curator has a spectacular copy of a really cool 50 year old comic.

$90,000

OtEpBP.jpg

Just got back from spending time with the seller. He often lists books with Josh at elevated prices so when he got his "offer accepted" message, he didn't even know what it meant! He still can't believe he got this price for it...

If that's his undercopy, I'd like to see his keeper.

You mean there are people who will actually sell comics from their collections?

Every comic book in my collection is for sale, the only question is how much $$$. The amount it will take to get it out of my collection may or may not have anything to do with the current market ;)

That is one nice Silver Age comic!