• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

It's(FF 45) the perfect comparison actually. I think what may be diluting the 45 is the wide range of characters and the malleability of the Inhumans "roster". I would imagine they would both be equally available as far as scarcity goes.... and both have been considered "undervalued" or sleeper books for years. Both also sport dark covers which tend to thin the herd above 9.4.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think we could see another big spike in this book when it gets closer to movie time, especially if the cast of characters includes the original Inhumans team, as opposed to the Agents of Shield version.

That could have been me. :blush: If it was, I'd be thinking about a retirement fund diversified across many investment classes, and not sinking everything into comic books alone. That said, the Dow is up 60% over the past ten years, which includes the collapse of the mortgage securities market and the resulting sharp decline in US stocks in 2008-09.

These days, its all about the hot book of the moment, I reckon.

I remember reading stories with the Panther as a kid and thinking it was a great character that wasn't being used to his potential. So I think now we see a lot of people learning more about him and coming to the same conclusion.

And I remember reading stories with the panther and thinking this is just a regular guy with no powers in a rubber cat suit, batman minus the utility belt.

A pioneer for black characters though

I think you mean regular guy who was also the richest man in the world, as smart as Reed Richards.and the head of a hidden highly advanced country, then yeah

So basically Batman. lol

Black cover on a book that's always been sought after in grade.....and it's been hot for a while..... I'm not expecting a slew of 9.8's to pop up..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree, tough book. I sold a 9.6 about 4 years ago and have never come across one since.

Shameless plug: I'll just throw this out there...if someone needs a 9.8 copy you should drop me a PM. :whistle:

When buying a 9.8 book like this, would you say such a buyer has:

Lots of money and money is not an issue, $84k is spare change... Already has an action 1 or tec 27 or af15 9.4...

Or just wants to get a "rare" book and sees this book as the crown in his collection? If i had $84k to spend i would spend my money elsewhere. But whatever makes you happy is all that matters

When buying a 9.8 book like this, would you say such a buyer has:

Lots of money and money is not an issue, $84k is spare change... Already has an action 1 or tec 27 or af15 9.4...

Or just wants to get a "rare" book and sees this book as the crown in his collection? If i had $84k to spend i would spend my money elsewhere. But whatever makes you happy is all that matters

I would think it's just a Flash fan with lots of disposable income.

84K is a lot but someone just bought the Curator 9.8 for 90K on Comiclink.

:o So now that $84K purchase seems rational. Given these quick, back-to-back, record purchases over substantially identical books, what does this mean for 9.4s and 9.6s of FF52s? And other higher grade FF52s? Coattail effect? Or are these sales limited to 9.8s? And what effect do these successive sales have on for the broader market of high-grade copies of C-character first appearances who have been resurrected solely by Hollywood??

The funny thing is. I wanted to sell my FF52 back in 2003 for $1500, and everybody laughed.

Good thing no one bought it for that price.

Never pressed, OLD Label & White pages...Hmmm!

115dpi.jpg

84K is a lot but someone just bought the Curator 9.8 for 90K on Comiclink.

:o So now that $84K purchase seems rational. Given these quick, back-to-back, record purchases over substantially identical books, what does this mean for 9.4s and 9.6s of FF52s? And other higher grade FF52s? Coattail effect? Or are these sales limited to 9.8s? And what effect do these successive sales have on for the broader market of high-grade copies of C-character first appearances who have been resurrected solely by Hollywood??

The funny thing is. I wanted to sell my FF52 back in 2003 for $1500, and everybody laughed.

Good thing no one bought it for that price.

Never pressed, OLD Label & White pages...Hmmm!

115dpi.jpg

That could turn out to be a very wise price point!

Let's not BS ourselves, Black Panther chasing after Bucky, jumping off a speeding car to blow out the back tire of his motorcycle to make him wipe out was just amazing! :)

That was my favorite part of the trailer.

hi-i had heated talk with local comic guru about how many FF#52 9.8 raws are still out there.he stated just the 4 cgc on census,i said at least four more out there.i know it tough black cover but the print runs must have climbed higher after galactus trilogy-what you guys think?

Given that it`s now almost a 6-figure book in 9.8, which is something I still can`t get my head around, I wouldn`t be surprised at all if a few more come out of the woodwork over the next 6 months.

But sometimes it's just two wealthy collectors who really want a book to finish a run in uber high grade.

Nailed it !

Heritage winner and underbidder (who ends up with Curator when opportunity presents)

Will the next 9.8s fetch almost 6 figures. I doubt it.

Given that it`s now almost a 6-figure book in 9.8, which is something I still can`t get my head around

I hear you.

Out of all the big money sales on key books over the last few years, these two back-to-back sales of the 9.8 FF52s are, by far, the most mind blowing.

Two bidders getting caught up in the heat/spirit of a live or ebay auction, I can see a price driven to crazy extremes.

But, then following it up with basically a straight out sale of the Curator copy for $6K more was incredible!

It has to be THE STORY on comic sales in the last few years, even surpassing historic sales of Action 1s (which can be rationalized why the big money was spent)

Some people have money to blow and they dont care if its a bad buy or not

This is a classic case of 'what I collect is cool, what you collect is stupid'. You spend big money on your AF15's. Why ridicule those that spend big money on something other than AF15 ? FF 52 is a cool book with a much better cover than AF15 at a fraction of the cost. Comic collecting is more than just owning an AF15. Sorry.