• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

Boston Copy looks the best, The Curator copy has a hickey on BP's leg (debris on the printing plate) and another one below the Things' right leg, Also I don't like the holes the top staple made. For 80K, That book better be almost perfect.

FF 52 aside, I would love to see a nice copy with the first appearance of the Phantom. Virtually an impossible book to get since it was out a few months before Action 1 and apparently the Phantom is the first hero with a skin tight costume which would become the standard for almost all super heroes going forward.

I wasn't even aware that the Phantom had a comic book before Action 1, but he was already an established comic strip character well before his appearance in a comic book.

Yes, the Phantom had his first comic book appearance in Ace Comics #11 with a cover date of February 1938. Not sure why he was wearing a brown costume here, but I guess it's like why the Hulk was grey in his first few issues or why Cap did not have his circular shield when he first started.

The Phantom comic strip had already started a couple years earlier in 1936.

lol i thought something similar when i saw an iron man #1 9.9 old label go for 69K. We now live in a hobby that has more speculators than ever before and ceilings on books seem to disappear if it is believed a book is the finest certified copy in existence. Without looking @ gpa i assume thats whats happening here or someone is betting heavily on the panther going over big in the movies.

I agree with everything you said, good sir. Clang those nega-bands again!

And...no sooner does the Curator copy sell for $90K...the Boston copy appears for the same price.

People in this hobby can be mercenary so and so's...

I wouldn`t call it mercenary, I`d call it smart.

WTF??? Did I really just see that FF 52 in 9.8 sell for $84K? Is this some bizzaro world we are living in? I think I just quit the hobby :facepalm:

With that money i'd rather buy me some af15

Very sensible - you at least will make your money back.

for some it's not always about the money...seems most folks have a "restricted" view...

if you can pay 84K for a ff52, you probably already spent 300K on a nice af15...

"both" would seem to be plausible and even likely

And...no sooner does the Curator copy sell for $90K...the Boston copy appears for the same price.

+1

No greed at all? Right...

Why is the seller greedy because they want to see if the free market will bear their price?

Wow. Didn't think people would struggle with this one. Opportunity usually equates with some greed. For example, take note of all the Prince items that have suddenly appeared on Ebay. Would this have happened if he were still alive?

QED.

So selling an FF #52 that has increased in price is the same as profiting from someone's death?

It's a comic book. This isn't selling water at jacked up prices to people dying of thirst in the desert. Though if I were dying of thirst in a desert, I still might want a 9.8 FF #52.

:grin:

+1

Definitely smart - but not something I'd relate to a healthy market. At some point someone is going to be held with a hot potato with this book (along with a bunch of others which have sky rocketed recently). While I'm sure the people who are paying these prices for this book can probably "afford it" I doubt they'll be smiling in the end. Who knows might be enough to drive someone away from being a buyer in the future.

It's a comic book. This isn't selling water at jacked up prices to people dying of thirst in the desert. Though if I were dying of thirst in a desert, I still might want a 9.8 FF #52.

I'd only charge you $20K for the 9.8 FF 52, but a cup of water will cost you $80K.

+1

Definitely smart - but not something I'd relate to a healthy market. At some point someone is going to be held with a hot potato with this book (along with a bunch of others which have sky rocketed recently). While I'm sure the people who are paying these prices for this book can probably "afford it" I doubt they'll be smiling in the end. Who knows might be enough to drive someone away from being a buyer in the future.

But we've said that about so many seemingly insane sales in the past, and yet the hobby keeps chugging along. And some of the seemingly insane sales turn out to be not so insane with the passage of time.