• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

Both are amazing copies.

I prefer the Curator copy, not only for the pedigree (I grew up in Minnesota)

It would be funnier if you'd said "I prefer the Curator copy, not only for the pedigree (I too work in a museum and am a transsexual)"

:baiting:

So tell me, what would you rather have, a gem-like collection of comics from the sixties or being strapped down and getting your....

:o

Mr. Curator had the most bizarre hierarchy of needs I can even imagine.

(shrug)

84K is a lot but someone just bought the Curator 9.8 for 90K on Comiclink.

TRULY INCREDIBLE!!!

The other two owners (out of 4) of the remaining 9.8s should take advantage of this frenzy.

In 2012, Boston Pedigree (also part of Doug Schmell's collection) sold for $19,120

In 2013, Don & Maggie Thompson Pedigree sold for $16,730

Could be nice profits even if they don't achieve the $80 - $90K levels

Rudd snagged his 9.6 off of an eBay BIN for $ 750...... the bargain of a lifetime even then.... it was a few years prior to the sale you're referencing.....I don't think there were any 9.8's then. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think Bob favors the Slobodians, doesn't he? I had one Slobodian FF. I can't remember the number. Damn I used to know EVERY FF I ever owned....my memory is going south, ugh..:sorry:

That could have been me. :blush: If it was, I'd be thinking about a retirement fund diversified across many investment classes, and not sinking everything into comic books alone. That said, the Dow is up 60% over the past ten years, which includes the collapse of the mortgage securities market and the resulting sharp decline in US stocks in 2008-09.

These days, its all about the hot book of the moment, I reckon.

I remember reading stories with the Panther as a kid and thinking it was a great character that wasn't being used to his potential. So I think now we see a lot of people learning more about him and coming to the same conclusion.

I can only imagine how much more the character would mean to me if I'd been a kid of color seeing a cool hero that looked like me for the first time (or being a kid today who has plenty of black heroes he can read, but is learning now that T'Challa was the first).

So, in a world where the number of six figure books is pretty large, I think it unsurprising that the most desirable examples of FF 52 would equal them. And for the same reasons, I would expect the book to be more than just a hot book of the moment but to be one whose value remains solid.

A hot book tied to a new movie can easily be replaced by the next hot book tied to a new movie that comes along.

But there will not come along another hot new book which is both a new movie and the first black superhero.

That could have been me. :blush: If it was, I'd be thinking about a retirement fund diversified across many investment classes, and not sinking everything into comic books alone. That said, the Dow is up 60% over the past ten years, which includes the collapse of the mortgage securities market and the resulting sharp decline in US stocks in 2008-09.

I remember reading stories with the Panther as a kid and thinking it was a great character that wasn't being used to his potential. So I think now we see a lot of people learning more about him and coming to the same conclusion.

I can only imagine how much more the character would mean to me if I'd been a kid of color seeing a cool hero that looked like me for the first time (or being a kid today who has plenty of black heroes he can read, but is learning now that T'Challa was the first).

So, in a world where the number of six figure books is pretty large, I think it unsurprising that the most desirable examples of FF 52 would equal them. And for the same reasons, I would expect the book to be more than just a hot book of the moment but to be one whose value remains solid.

A hot book tied to a new movie can easily be replaced by the next hot book tied to a new movie that comes along.

But there will not come along another hot new book which is both a new movie and the first black superhero.

Well stated! (thumbs u

Well stated! (thumbs u

As a kid I didn't have many books with black panther in it. One book I did have which i treasured was captain marvel 28. Panther was only in a few panels but Starlin did such a great job rendering him in that cameo I always thought this a character with potential.

Several times over the years I have stated that I felt iron man wasn't fully developed by marvel. For the first 45 years of his existence he was a C list character that may have topped out as a B list character regarding popularity in the marvel universe. i think they had a tough time creating great villains for him for one. Never seemed to get the best artists either. To me there was always untapped potential. Thanks to a fantastic iron man movie he is now an A list character and has passed spider-man and wolverine as marvels flagship character in some peoples eyes. I think Panthers ceiling is A list as well. He looks good in the trailer. Handled well he has the ability to make a permanent rise among fans. Before he was never better than a C list character in terms popularity imo. Time will tell.

Well stated! (thumbs u

As a kid I didn't have many books with black panther in it. One book I did have which i treasured was captain marvel 28. Panther was only in a few panels but Starlin did such a great job rendering him in that cameo I always thought this a character with potential.

Several times over the years I have stated that I felt iron man wasn't fully developed by marvel. For the first 45 years of his existence he was a C list character that may have topped out as a B list character regarding popularity in the marvel universe. i think they had a tough time creating great villains for him for one. Never seemed to get the best artists either. To me there was always untapped potential. Thanks to a fantastic iron man movie he is now an A list character and has passed spider-man and wolverine as marvels flagship character in some peoples eyes. I think Panthers ceiling is A list as well. He looks good in the trailer. Handled well he has the ability to make a permanent rise among fans. Before he was never better than a C list character in terms popularity imo. Time will tell.

I felt the same way about Iron Man (thought I'm sure some people would go "easy for you guys to say now")

84K is a lot but someone just bought the Curator 9.8 for 90K on Comiclink.

:o So now that $84K purchase seems rational. Given these quick, back-to-back, record purchases over substantially identical books, what does this mean for 9.4s and 9.6s of FF52s? And other higher grade FF52s? Coattail effect? Or are these sales limited to 9.8s? And what effect do these successive sales have on for the broader market of high-grade copies of C-character first appearances who have been resurrected solely by Hollywood??

And I remember reading stories with the panther and thinking this is just a regular guy with no powers in a rubber cat suit, batman minus the utility belt.

A pioneer for black characters though

I think the argument that this book will not turn out to be all movie hype has been presented extremely well.

I also believe that there is enough evidence in the high grade sale results for Amazing Spider Man # 14 and # 9 to believe that this is exactly what happens when a character is going to appear in a movie. A 9.8 #9 sold for about $30K less two years after a $58K sale. Interesting to see that one just popped up on ebay listed for more than $60K.

:eek:

I believe ten years from now FF 52 will fit the pattern pretty well.

I think many of these outlier sales do have a lot to do with movie hype. But sometimes it's just two wealthy collectors who really want a book to finish a run in uber high grade.

For example, a 9.6 copy of ASM #37 sold on ComicLink for over $21K in 2009 and a 9.8 copy of ASM #35 sold for $31K in 2011. 1st appearance of Mendel Stromm and 2nd appearance of Molten Man, so no movie hype there.

I'm not sure what to make of these FF #52 sales. Maybe a combination of hype along with some really hungry completists?

And as far as the books maintaining their value, it's hard to say. Unless these books hit the market again, we won't really know. And if a few more 9.8s show up in the census, I think the prices would naturally drop anyhow.

Black cover on a book that's always been sought after in grade.....and it's been hot for a while..... I'm not expecting a slew of 9.8's to pop up..... GOD BLESS...

And I remember reading stories with the panther and thinking this is just a regular guy with no powers in a rubber cat suit, batman minus the utility belt.

A pioneer for black characters though

I think you mean regular guy who was also the richest man in the world, as smart as Reed Richards.and the head of a hidden highly advanced country, then yeah

Black cover on a book that's always been sought after in grade.....and it's been hot for a while..... I'm not expecting a slew of 9.8's to pop up..... GOD BLESS...

OK, but what happens to 9.6s and 9.4s of FF52? Census says 13 9.6s and 28 9.4s ... compared to four 9.8s. Relatively speaking, 13 and 28 are also small class numbers ... especially when compared to FF48, which is populated with much larger class numbers per grade: 29 9.8s, 79 9.6s and 103 9.4s.

With Marvel SA, the 9.8 class is a market unto itself. Those who require 9.8 will often just pass on the 9.6 and below. The FF 52, however, was always a socially relevant and historical book. It was pretty ballsy of Stan to go there in those times, and he pulled it off in the best of taste. The book has been spiking for a few years now..... personally, I see a leveling off, with exceptional eye appeal specimens continuing to break the norm.... but who knows, really ? GOD BLESS...

...the Panther has more fans than you would think, and the comic itself has a great cover and a well done story..... it's a classic intro...... it's not just another book that no one wanted until the movie announcement...... and we've been hearing about a Panther movie for 15 years now...

OK, but what happens to 9.6s and 9.4s of FF52? Census says 13 9.6s and 28 9.4s ... compared to four 9.8s. Relatively speaking, 13 and 28 are also small class numbers ... especially when compared to FF48, which is populated with much larger class numbers per grade: 29 9.8s, 79 9.6s and 103 9.4s.

better comparison is to the #45 which has 4 9.8's, 5 9.6's and 16 9.4's. should the #52 in 9.8 be selling for 2.5x a #45 in the same grade? i guess should doesn't matter given the #52 9.8 sale(s) happened.

It's(FF 45) the perfect comparison actually. I think what may be diluting the 45 is the wide range of characters and the malleability of the Inhumans "roster". I would imagine they would both be equally available as far as scarcity goes.... and both have been considered "undervalued" or sleeper books for years. Both also sport dark covers which tend to thin the herd above 9.4.... GOD BLESS...