• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

Writing that the buyer must have more money than brains, as a couple of board members did in this thread and I've seen written elsewhere in relation to different books, is frankly disrespectful and insulting.

Hard as it is for some to believe, not everyone at the high end of the comic book food chain is there to reap a profit. Sometimes, one or more wealthy individuals will decide at a particular time that they'd like to own one of the finest known examples of a particular issue, and a record sale occurs. Perhaps the buyer isn't that deep into the hobby that they wish to wait around for years and have to track all of the top census copies that may be offered for sale to get a great deal. Perhaps the buyer is laundering money obtained illegally. Perhaps the buyer has enough wealth that the sale price is inconsequential to them. Who knows? One-off sales are just that, one-time occurrences.

Writing that the buyer must have more money than brains, as a couple of board members did in this thread and I've seen written elsewhere in relation to different books, is frankly disrespectful and insulting.

Hard as it is for some to believe, not everyone at the high end of the comic book food chain is there to reap a profit. Sometimes, one or more wealthy individuals will decide at a particular time that they'd like to own one of the finest known examples of a particular issue, and a record sale occurs. Perhaps the buyer isn't that deep into the hobby that they wish to wait around for years and have to track all of the top census copies that may be offered for sale to get a great deal. Perhaps the buyer is laundering money obtained illegally. Perhaps the buyer has enough wealth that the sale price is inconsequential to them. Who knows? One-off sales are just that, one-time occurrences.

Congratulations on winning the book, Bob!

:baiting:

A ground breaking book, and part of an historic run in comics book history. Throw in a splashy cinematic debut this year, and a series of solo upcoming movies and it's not too hard to see why someone would be willing to shell out big $$ for a top of the census copy (though that is always a risky proposition regardless of the book).

-J.

:tonofbricks: I'm the last to critique other posters but COME ON...

Well stated and IMO, absolutely valid comments. It's sad that the Boards can no longer comprehend buying a book for anything but a flip and profit.

+1 This stuff happens. It's a hot book in a very high profile auction for FFs and a couple of people went for it. This auction clearly brought some excitement and some money to the table.

WTF??? Did I really just see that FF 52 in 9.8 sell for $84K? Is this some bizzaro world we are living in? I think I just quit the hobby :facepalm:

Wow, unreal

Paid about that for my first 2 BR condo...in 1983... :insane:

Well, since you lived in Southern California, I am quite sure that your condo will be a much safer and profitable bet (even today) than a copy of FF 52 for $84K. :)

Strange especially because it takes 2 to tango. Easy to understand one guy with money new to the hobby and doesn't know what he is doing but 2 guys getting bid fever on a book and going that far over the top is strange indeed. It seems a stretch to be so convinced the book would grade higher in a resub to shell out 40K over GPA on a 20K book.

This is an excellent point that often gets overlooked when discussing crazy results in auctions. It took two bidders to drive the price. What's interesting here, that others have pointed out, is that this FF52 isn't even the highest lone graded (looks like 4 in 9.8) and not from a pedigree. 84K is simply - AMAZING!!

Strange especially because it takes 2 to tango. Easy to understand one guy with money new to the hobby and doesn't know what he is doing but 2 guys getting bid fever on a book and going that far over the top is strange indeed. It seems a stretch to be so convinced the book would grade higher in a resub to shell out 40K over GPA on a 20K book.

This is an excellent point that often gets overlooked when discussing crazy results in auctions. It took two bidders to drive the price. What's interesting here, that others have pointed out, is that this FF52 isn't even the highest lone graded (looks like 4 in 9.8) and not from a pedigree. 84K is simply - AMAZING!!

No, it's simply to put down all the naysayers who say that Luke Cage and HFH 1 is bigger than Black Panther when it comes to Marvel's biggest black super-hero. lol

Crazy number but alot of the super high grades are crazy right now. FF 52 is a Grail. It's from the Lee/Kirby team. It's the first AA super hero. It has great story and art. Iconic cover. And it has the movie business. First a cameo and than a solo, so BP will be in the news for quite awhile. Will they make their money back?. At that price, I'm guessing it's someone who doesn't care about the future value. I suspect they wanted the best available.

Crazy number but alot of the super high grades are crazy right now. FF 52 is a Grail. It's from the Lee/Kirby team. It's the first AA super hero. It has great story and art. Iconic cover. And it has the movie business. First a cameo and than a solo, so BP will be in the news for quite awhile. Will they make their money back?. At that price, I'm guessing it's someone who doesn't care about the future value. I suspect they wanted the best available.

.... right on, brother. And one other thing about FF 52's...... not all copies are created equal. If this example is one with especially nice gloss, it can be quite mesmerizing. I've seen a lot of 52's with super technical aspects but are just kind of flat...... I didn't see this book in person, but I'm betting the winning bidder did. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I doubt the $84K copy popped as much as the 9.8 Curator. A $22K sale way back in 2012, I wonder what it would fetch today?

... you know what I'm talking about....... as a bidder who has seen the exceptional books in person..... some things just can't be captured through a scan...... some books just have that "something"..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... Northlands have nice gloss :cloud9:

I think this sale is the big news from this auction. This blew away all expectations. Left all the other 9.8's hanging. No one saw this coming. Made everybody happy about their copies and made everybody else wish they'd bought a copy long before now. When I went looking for my copy many years ago and paid a premium, I knew this was an undervalued book and one to watch.