• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

I still feel bad letting go of my 9.2 :(

Me too. I sold it four years ago for a measly $890.

Do these kind of outlier prices for books in 9.8 affect the valuations at 9.2 and below? It's not a book that's hard to find in lower grades (actually, it's not hard to find in ultra-high grades either).

The jury is still out for this book. A 9.2 has popped up on ComicLink and a 9.0 on eBay. They both have pretty aggressive ask prices. So sellers have obviously taken note. We'll see about the buyers.

Though in this case I suspect any price increases would have more to do with movie hype than the Heritage sale.

I think it depends on market pressures and how many people find comfort in the new sales price.

The combination of lower grades creeping up in price, as well as movie buzz and $84K sale buzz could translate into stronger prices for 9.0/9.2 copies, but I agree too early to tell. I would suspect it would, especially if there is more than one copy selling at strong numbers.

I still feel bad letting go of my 9.2 :(

Me too. I sold it four years ago for a measly $890.

Do these kind of outlier prices for books in 9.8 affect the valuations at 9.2 and below? It's not a book that's hard to find in lower grades (actually, it's not hard to find in ultra-high grades either).

The jury is still out for this book. A 9.2 has popped up on ComicLink and a 9.0 on eBay. They both have pretty aggressive ask prices. So sellers have obviously taken note. We'll see about the buyers.

Though in this case I suspect any price increases would have more to do with movie hype than the Heritage sale.

I think it depends on market pressures and how many people find comfort in the new sales price.

The combination of lower grades creeping up in price, as well as movie buzz and $84K sale buzz could translate into stronger prices for 9.0/9.2 copies, but I agree too early to tell. I would suspect it would, especially if there is more than one copy selling at strong numbers.

As far as 9.0s go I know that path/arch all too well...sold my 9.0 in Aug 2013 for $1100 (GPA high at the time)...latest sale $3200 Jan 2016... :cry:

I doubt the $84K copy popped as much as the 9.8 Curator. A $22K sale way back in 2012, I wonder what it would fetch today?

The scanner settings are a bit too bright on the new 9.8. But both books look pretty spectacular.

Y8vomh.jpg

OtEpBP.jpg

I like the first copy without the little blue color fleck over the Black Panther. The Curator copy has the color fleck. Guess which one I would buy!

Both are amazing copies.

I prefer the Curator copy, not only for the pedigree (I grew up in Minnesota) but for the deep colors -- compare the whites on the two and you'll see what I mean.

Dan

Both are amazing copies.

I prefer the Curator copy, not only for the pedigree (I grew up in Minnesota)

It would be funnier if you'd said "I prefer the Curator copy, not only for the pedigree (I too work in a museum and am a transsexual)"

:baiting:

Both are amazing copies.

I prefer the Curator copy, not only for the pedigree (I grew up in Minnesota) but for the deep colors -- compare the whites on the two and you'll see what I mean.

Dan

Looks like sharper corners too

I would be proud to own either..... but I'm in the Curator camp as well...... even a scan can't deaden the gloss on that freak of nature....... what a brilliant example..... and the odd looking whatever, near the upper staple, is likely just a slab scuff. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(A friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Both are amazing copies.

I prefer the Curator copy, not only for the pedigree (I grew up in Minnesota)

It would be funnier if you'd said "I prefer the Curator copy, not only for the pedigree (I too work in a museum and am a transsexual)"

:baiting:

Hey! Enough about my private life!

Do people really think barring some spectacular love for the Black Panther that paying even half that number for a 9.8 is a good buy ?

..... It's got to be a buyer for whom this is "disposable" income...... as an investment, even partially, it would seem to be a long shot. It IS one of my favorite FF's inside and out...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Do people really think barring some spectacular love for the Black Panther that paying even half that number for a 9.8 is a good buy ?

..... It's got to be a buyer for whom this is "disposable" income...... as an investment, even partially, it would seem to be a long shot. It IS one of my favorite FF's inside and out...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Exactly. I think if I could realistically afford to spend almost 100k on a comic book, I wouldn't too much care whether it flopped or not.

In the words of Christopher Walken, "I'm a millionaire. If I lose 80 grand, I go get another 80. To me, it doesn't matter."

I remember one boardie with a lot of posts reviling everybody in comics general about 10 years ago for investing in comics as a retirement nest egg. Stock market is where it at he said. Silver and Gold keys and semi-keys have been very good to those who have bought in and a lot less volatile than the market in the last decade!

Have they been good to those who bought retail at the offering price and sold wholesale at the bid? Really? Of course maybe some of them have, but you really have to be careful generalizing.

And "a lot less volatile than the stock market in the last decade"? Despite the huge jumps/drops from one transaction to the next for the same comic? Do you understand the concept of continuity when applied to prices?

???