• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 9.8 on Comic Connect - sold for 15k

417 posts in this topic

SevenSeas%205%20CGC%208.5_zpstx4azf4n.jpg

SevenSeas%205%20CGC%208.5%20back_zpsplfvta0u.jpg

Mmmmmm! Beautiful, and so tough!

Will somebody explain to me again why Hulk 1 fetches more in the marketplace than this comic? Something to do with a skewed demand curve perhaps?

???

I know. And Hulk is even green on the cover of Hulk 1! :cry:

The yellowing comes from oils that have transferred from the interior inks over time and migrated into the cover.

Hmmmm. Migrating oils you say? As opposed to environmental factors such as heat and humidity? Is the migrating oils theory the generally accepted one these days?

???

I believe that heat would help the oils separate from the inks and increase migration, but the yellowing itself (in this case) I am almost 100% sure due to oil migration.

It's very common on publishers that used cheaper materials to save money on production (SA Marvel being the most popular one but also Fox, etc).

tth2 was primarily a highest graded DC collector back in the day and he understands that market well. Probably better than most (although I disagreed with him on what an Adventure #247 would sell for in high grade).

For him to say that a SA Marvel would eclipse a SA DC is a big thing. It takes a lot for a DC collector openly admit that. lol

I know people like to speculate but I'd eat my shorts on video if a Showcase #4 ever broke $1MIL. Heck, I'd eat my 1/2 my shorts if it went for half of that. I can't even believe people are thinking along those lines.

So a highest graded Showcase #4 is going to sell for as much as an Amazing Fantasy #15 or a Hulk #1 in top grade?

People, time for a reality check. This is the Flash. lol

tth2 was primarily a highest graded DC collector back in the day and he understands that market well. Probably better than most (although I disagreed with him on what an Adventure #247 would sell for in high grade).

For him to say that a SA Marvel would eclipse a SA DC is a big thing. It takes a lot for a DC collector openly admit that. lol

I know people like to speculate but I'd eat my shorts on video if a Showcase #4 ever broke $1MIL. Heck, I'd eat my 1/2 my shorts if it went for half of that. I can't even believe people are thinking along those lines.

So a highest graded Showcase #4 is going to sell for as much as an Amazing Fantasy #15 or a Hulk #1 in top grade?

People, time for a reality check. This is the Flash. lol

True, the Flash has always been a lower tier superhero.

However, truth is, Hulk 1 nearly tripled in price the past two years. It had such a significant bump in value that it almost seemed strange how it jumped so fast.

Of course, it was a real jump and has sustained that level for a while.

I might be a bit over zealous with the Flash popularity growing but it has seen big jumps in recent times.

I thought HG examples of SC4 are pretty rare also so could be close but clearly I'm mistaken.

All I wanted was a discussion on why and some data.

Thanks! :)

However, truth is, Hulk 1 nearly tripled in price the past two years. It had such a significant bump in value that it almost seemed strange how it jumped so fast.

In actuality, Hulk #1 didn't really jump in price fast. It's just that while other keys were climbing nobody had seen a Hulk #1 9.2 sell in some time.

All I wanted was a discussed on why and some data.

Anybody really in the market for big books (buying or selling) is going to keep this sort of data close to their vest.

For example, Hulk #1 in 8.0 was a $70K book two years ago. It just wasn't public knowledge until the CC sale this week.

Regarding Hulk 1 jumping fast, less than 2 years ago I found a Hulk 1 5.5 for a boardie.

He bought it for $7k which was close to value then. It's now almost 20k. That was where I got the huge jump from.

Thanks

The yellowing comes from oils that have transferred from the interior inks over time and migrated into the cover.

Hmmmm. Migrating oils you say? As opposed to environmental factors such as heat and humidity? Is the migrating oils theory the generally accepted one these days?

???

I believe that heat would help the oils separate from the inks and increase migration, but the yellowing itself (in this case) I am almost 100% sure due to oil migration.

It's very common on publishers that used cheaper materials to save money on production (SA Marvel being the most popular one but also Fox, etc).

St John was the king of this. He used the cheapest production process possible and, as a result, his books often suffer from this type of staining (along with miscuts and other woes). Including, unfortunately, many copies of St John romance books with Matt Baker covers.

Anybody really in the market for big books (buying or selling) is going to keep this sort of data close to their vest.

As we used to say on the eBay chat board years ago: "Them what's knows, won't say. And them what's says, don't knows."

Wait ... was that us or was it the pirates in Treasure Island? hm

As we used to say on the eBay chat board years ago: "Them what's knows, won't say. And them what's says, don't knows."

Wait ... was that us or was it the pirates in Treasure Island? hm

Makes sense. People usually share data on here but I get it on the really high end

I don't play in that end of the pool but I love observing from the sidelines if possible

Regarding Hulk 1 jumping fast, less than 2 years ago I found a Hulk 1 5.5 for a boardie.

He bought it for $7k which was close to value then. It's now almost 20k. That was where I got the huge jump from.

Thanks

Where were you three years ago when I had to pay $2k more than that for my 5.5 Hulk 1? lol

-J.

Thanks

Where were you three years ago when I had to pay $2k more than that for my 5.5 Hulk 1? lol

-J.

Shouldn't have paid the white page premium

Thanks

-J.

Shouldn't have paid the white page premium

I thought it was a "no marvel chipping" premium. :tonofbricks:lol

-J.

Thanks

-J.

Really? Wow. I'm going to check the date right now...

Maybe I'm wrong

Thanks

-J.

Really? Wow. I'm going to check the date right now...

Maybe I'm wrong

Definitely within the past two years and no more.

It was in line with GPA at the time.

However, a month later the book exploded

Looks like all the boardies who said this would go for 10-12k were spot-on... it's at 10k now with 3 hrs to go.

Whoever picks this up at this price just saved a SPOONload of $$$$$

It can still jump significantly if two people get into a bidding war at the end...unlikely but could happen

Insane grade for this SA key of keys! It's a graded 9.8 (by CBCS tho...)

ComicConnect Showcase #4

sho1.3359a_zpsszlpsjcu.jpg

What an absolute POS!

The best place for that comic is in the trash can.

Restored 9.8's! :eyeroll:

What a bush league move by Voldemort.

I think any of you should be bullied and made fun of if you bid on this disgrace.

Tell us how you really feel lol

I am sorry but those books are a disgrace to the comic hobby.

I would have more respect for an X-Force #1 in with CGC .5 incomplete green label than ever having any kind pride in owning that SC 4 or Hulk #1 in a voldemort 9.8 restored grade.

Only an absolute insufficiently_thoughtful_person and knows nothing about money would bid on these throw up copies

Find me the trash can is where I would appreciate those books.