• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 9.8 on Comic Connect - sold for 15k

417 posts in this topic

My question would be if professional chemical cleaning is detectable then it must alter the books appearance/feel in some manner so while it might render it visually more appealing do you think it would truly help restore a "newsstand" quality to the book?

I think it would, if the staining was treatable with cleaning. In this case I believe it would be.

But I'm not trying to figure out whether I would restore this book or not. The answer is obviously to keep it as is.

I'm just trying to have a hypothetical discussion to figure out whether a newsstand fresh book from 70- years ago would actually look 'fake' because we've become so accustomed to seeing 70 year old, well preserved copies with at least some form of aging. That is our paradigm unfortunately, because time travel is not an option. lol

As an interesting point, John Verzyl, who owns nearly every Edgar Church Timely book except maybe 6 issues (he assembled the entire collection over the decades) keeps one raw book on hand at shows just to show customers how white and clean a Church book can be. I can't remember the exact issue, and I believe it's an above average example of the Pedigree as not all copies are as White as that particular issue he uses but every time I've seen him pull it out I have to take a double take because the book actually looks like a photocopy recreation. Even though I've handled 1000's of old books (as many of you have) I still am not used to seeing a book with pages as white as snow, from cover to cover, right through the whole book.

Again, I'm not trying to validate or invalidate the IGB books (I'm trying to remain unbaised about the discussion) but I am trying to ascertain whether we realize what newsstand 50 and 70 year old books look like.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

We live in a new age now! Thanks to certification beauty is often in the holder. many nowadays just buy the label not the book!

In this case (no pun intended) few people think this CBCS beauty will be worth more than 12k...

But the concept of taking a ragged POS copy and turning it into a Voldemort 9.8 (factoring in the issues of extreme glossing and thickness which may or may not be happening) is fascinating to me.

Me too, I'm trying to figure out what this original copy was. It seems to me that it's shady AF if it's purposely not discussed in the context of the value of this book. What was the source? An already resto'd CGC 9.2 that was simply re-subbed to CBCS - that's just wrong :devil: To take a worthless POS book and turn it into a high-grade wonder takes a lot of man-hours and it's not cheap if done well/professionally.

It seems wrong to me, but maybe it isn't. I like to read the discussions and try to suss out where everyone is coming from in order to form my own opinion.

I think this comes down to the motivation behind the restoration. Is it to take something worthless and make it valuable? Or is it to preserve a piece of history, in this case - one of THE icons of the Silver Age. If the restoration was requested by someone who couldn't afford the 9.6 and wanted something as presentable for less, then I nod my head in acceptance. Who knows, benefit of doubt and all, maybe the owner just wanted a 9.2 and it came out way better than expected. That's just luck...or CBCS over-grading ;)

It is a valuable process. Please consider that going forward.

That's one of the reasons I keep coming back to these boards. There are a lot of people on here that want to have an honest discussion and hash these things out. :foryou:

so why is that extreme restored 9.8 Hulk 1 at 42k and the showcase is at 8k.

not only that but why not bid on the unrestored copy then.

9.8 restored 42.5k

8.0 universal 55k

so why is that extreme restored 9.8 Hulk 1 at 42k and the showcase is at 8k.

not only that but why not bid on the unrestored copy then.

9.8 restored 42.5k

8.0 universal 55k

Exactly. That Hulk #1 winner is going to have serious buyer's remorse IMHO.

DC buyers are smarter :baiting:

(worship)

Of course, there's also the small fact that point for point, Hulk 1 is worth huge multiples of Showcase 4.

I don't think there are enough recent sales in enough grades on Showcase 4 to validate that statement.

Both comics have seen a surge in pricing, but the frequency of Hulk 1 sales is far higher than Showcase 4.

I am confident at minimum that Hulk 1 point for point does not sell for "huge multiples" of Showcase 4.