• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,169 posts in this topic

I have been seeing a bunch of random issues. Looking at a sellers inventory then trying to either use the sort feature just shows up blank on mobile,  as well as trying to pull up the side bar of sorting features just goes into a never-ending load. 

Ebay has been a mess lately. 

Admin, please delete.

I always thought ebay sent 1099s based on GROSS sales of over $20,000? Is that assumption incorrect?

I go to my seller hub and it states I don't get a 1099 for last year. My NET sales were under $20,000, so maybe it is in fact based on net rather than gross? Anyone know for sure?

Edited by Badlands

On 3/19/2024 at 10:20 AM, manetteska said:

Anyone else having issues with eBay the past few days?

I'll look up a comic then go to SOLD and it will say 0 items found. I then switch to COMPLETED and see a mix of sold and unsold items.

Now, depending on what I look up, even the COMPLETED filter doesn't work properly.

Example: American Splendor 1

0 completed listings

image.thumb.png.a1168639c714ea557c8eb3c11579010e.png

Then switch to Terapeak:

image.thumb.png.1098d328ed404fd44671b7db35e24949.png

There has been all kinds of issues with stupid eBay the last few weeks and they just continue. Our main account where we sell auto parts has a huge issue where from 3/14-3/17 they had their shipping API broken, so it was not pulling in the data from the USPS. I have reported this multiple times and it is taking their .10 cent programmers to fix it.

On topic, they did make a change with the "SOLD" listings and how people are viewing them. I am reading around that some people are not even able to see them at all. This platform is on the road to self destruct, because they have become their own worst enemy with the changes. We have been selling on here for over 20 years and I am just baffled with the incompetency that goes on.

I really don't know where all these books are coming from.  I just checked and there is a total of 11,114,351 items currently listed under comics on E-Bay.  That is up from 8,180,288 on January 10, 2024 and about 3 times what was available on 6/22/23 (4,034,932) and almost 4 times what was up for sale when I got curious and started writing the numbers down on 8/1/22 (2,901,256).  The number of items which sold over the previous 3 months has roughly stayed the same (1,530,000ish). 4x the amount of product is available in less than 2 years but the amount of buying has stayed the same.     

Edited by 1Cool

On 4/3/2024 at 1:14 PM, 1Cool said:

I really don't know where all these books are coming from.  I just checked and there is a total of 11,114,351 items currently listed under comics on E-Bay.  That is up from 8,180,288 on January 10, 2024 and about 3 times what was available on 6/22/23 (4,034,932) and almost 4 times what was up for sale when I got curious and started writing the numbers down on 8/1/22 (2,901,256).  The number of items which sold over the previous 3 months has roughly stayed the same (1,530,000ish). 4x the amount of product is available in less than 2 years but the amount of buying has stayed the same.     

I think there are at least two possible explanations, and the changes you describe may be some mix of the two. 

The last time I checked a couple of years ago, the search feature on Ebay was kind of wonky. Simply improving the search engine to catch desired results could explain a lot of it. If this is the case, the number of comics listed has been more stable than the search results imply. 

Another possible explanation is that people are dumping comics now that prices are tumbling. I know I cleaned out my PC and listed a bunch of books for sale that I was originally planning on keeping. You gotta do what you gotta do. 

On 4/5/2024 at 8:58 AM, Stefan_W said:

I think there are at least two possible explanations, and the changes you describe may be some mix of the two. 

The last time I checked a couple of years ago, the search feature on Ebay was kind of wonky. Simply improving the search engine to catch desired results could explain a lot of it. If this is the case, the number of comics listed has been more stable than the search results imply. 

Another possible explanation is that people are dumping comics now that prices are tumbling. I know I cleaned out my PC and listed a bunch of books for sale that I was originally planning on keeping. You gotta do what you gotta do. 

Option 2 seems to hold more weight when there is a steady progression in increases over the last couple years with a 25% increase since January.  The market for 95% of books is much worse than it's been in quite awhile and all the people who bought in to the speculation boom have to get out eventually.  Those that can wait will wait but those that need the cash (or see things getting worse) appear to be swamping E-Bay with listings - which E-Bay is facilitating with all the free listings for stores.  I've been getting 10,000 free listing for my 1.000 listing store for at least a year so I can see why people are just blitzing E-Bay with listings since it doesn't cost an additional penny.  But now it's so easy to be lost in the forest of trees that you need great books to be seen by anyone.  Heck, Whatnot seems like it's only there because E-Bay is so crowded.

Edited by 1Cool

On 4/5/2024 at 7:09 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

Does anyone use promoted listings? I've never used it but unless I'm mistaken are they asking for an additional 12% of sale in addition to the 15% already taken?

E-Bay sure seems to be pushing people to go that route by giving so many free listings that it make all your listings tough to get views so why not upgrade to the promotions.  E-Bay is the only one winning with all the extra fees.

Edited by 1Cool

On 4/5/2024 at 8:25 AM, 1Cool said:

E-Bay sure seems to be pushing people to go that route by giving so many free listings that it make all your listings tough to get views so why not upgrade to the promotions.  E-Bay is the only one winning with all the extra fees.

I guess I don't understand how it works. If I'm searching for x-men 50 and sort them by price, ain't I gonna see all the x-men 50s for sale regardless if a seller paid for promotion or not? hm

On 4/5/2024 at 1:31 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

I guess I don't understand how it works. If I'm searching for x-men 50 and sort them by price, ain't I gonna see all the x-men 50s for sale regardless if a seller paid for promotion or not? hm

Promoted Listings Standard | eBay

It sounds like you pick what the extra percent that E-Bay charges you and a bigger percent add on will get your stuff in the adds that people see when the log into E-Bay.  If you have nice books like X-Men 50 (or even better Spidey 50) then you will pop up in searches and get a ton of views even without the promotions.  Now if you are trying to sell run books then it could make sense to pay for the promotion for a few months here or alert people to your store.  I've never used it myself but I'm definitely thinking about it for the summer since sales have nose-dived and it would be good to get some extra views.

On 4/5/2024 at 4:09 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

Does anyone use promoted listings? I've never used it but unless I'm mistaken are they asking for an additional 12% of sale in addition to the 15% already taken?

You can set the rate

On 4/7/2024 at 7:29 AM, Tnexus said:

If you have an adblocker it blocks Promoted Listings. So in a weird way you may pay more to make the listing less visible.

Is “you” the seller or buyer? 

For the record I put up some books the last few days and they all have views. Most have watchers. 1 book already sold at BIN and I have a best offer for another. Not sure what paying extra for promotion would have done for me. (shrug) As mentioned selling for the correct price gets you the views.

On 4/7/2024 at 7:29 AM, Tnexus said:

If you have an adblocker it blocks Promoted Listings. So in a weird way you may pay more to make the listing less visible.

Can you please explain this, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around this concept