• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,172 posts in this topic

On 6/30/2023 at 2:22 PM, Withering Wind said:

What you are looking for is called "eBay standard envelope".  I don't know if it is available for what you are selling but it is available for trading cards.  Note that it doesn't work like package tracking  but uses the limited tracking system they use for regular mail that "informs" your informed delivery notifications from USPS if you use that.

Thanks! I found me a link with more info:

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/choosing-a-carrier-and-service/ebay-standard-envelope

@electricprune

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 6/30/2023 at 1:02 PM, electricprune said:

Thanks, DP. I’ve looked and looked myself and have never found anything either. I sell cigar bands that can easily ship in an envelope with a stamp, but out of a couple thousand items I’ve sold on eBay, the two that “weren’t delivered” were stamped envelopes with no tracking.

I've bought some random trading cards that got sent in regular envelopes delivered by USPS, but the sellers used eBay's delivery service...If I recall, the shipping on them weren't that great though; they just got scanned when the local USPS had the item and in some cases arrived a day or two after that. Not sure if it's changed or if still an option or if it's only an option for trading cards.

Edit: Looks like @MR. Pontoon may have found that option...

Edited by 850chris

On 6/30/2023 at 2:34 PM, 850chris said:

I've bought some random trading cards that got sent in regular envelopes delivered by USPS, but the sellers used eBay's delivery service...If I recall, the shipping on them weren't that great though; they just got scanned when the local USPS had the item and in some cases arrived a day or two after that. Not sure if it's changed or if still an option or if it's only an option for trading cards.

Edit: Looks like @MR. Pontoon may have found that option...

Thanks guys! If I can figure it out from here, it will be a big help. Even if eBay would know the USPS had it, that might be enough to cover me. It would make me feel better, at least.

Looking for a little help with an annoying situation...

I've been buying comics (both BIN and auction) on Ebay for a decade now without any issues. Recently (maybe a month ago), I bought (via B/O) a comic, and as soon as I submitted the offer, I got a message from Ebay asking me what my preferred method of paying is ... I chose PP (thinking it's probably one of those things you have to resubmit every now and then. Well, I was surprised when there was no accept/decline/counter submitted ... I just automatically bought it right then. I swear, it was like the seller had some kind of automatic accept option for any offers over a certain amount.

So today, after ensuring that the seller does combined shipping, I messaged a seller for roughly 75% of the total cost of 3 comics. He messaged me back saying that he'll accept my offers, and that he'll be waiting for my offers on each of the listings. Unfortunately, once I started to submit the first offer, I got that same message, "What's your preferred method of payment?" I'm afraid that if I submit the offers, I'll automatically pay for each of the comics ... paying full shipping for each of them.

I messaged the seller the situation, but it's been almost a full day and I haven't heard beck from him. I'm afraid he thinks I'm trying to scam him or something.

I know I can just ask the seller to refund any extra shipping costs, but I really shouldn't have to do that.

What's going on?

On 7/1/2023 at 2:57 PM, Gaard said:

I've been buying comics (both BIN and auction) on Ebay for a decade now without any issues. Recently (maybe a month ago), I bought (via B/O) a comic, and as soon as I submitted the offer, I got a message from Ebay asking me what my preferred method of paying is ... I chose PP (thinking it's probably one of those things you have to resubmit every now and then. Well, I was surprised when there was no accept/decline/counter submitted ... I just automatically bought it right then. I swear, it was like the seller had some kind of automatic accept option for any offers over a certain amount.

So today, after ensuring that the seller does combined shipping, I messaged a seller for roughly 75% of the total cost of 3 comics. He messaged me back saying that he'll accept my offers, and that he'll be waiting for my offers on each of the listings. Unfortunately, once I started to submit the first offer, I got that same message, "What's your preferred method of payment?" I'm afraid that if I submit the offers, I'll automatically pay for each of the comics ... paying full shipping for each of them.

I messaged the seller the situation, but it's been almost a full day and I haven't heard beck from him. I'm afraid he thinks I'm trying to scam him or something.

I know I can just ask the seller to refund any extra shipping costs, but I really shouldn't have to do that.

What's going on?

All of what your saying is true! I haven't tried to do multiple listings, yet when it first happened to me on an offer, those were my first thoughts!! Which I don't have an answer too, and since I haven't yet ever done a group listing by, at least you're comfortable with asking for those fees back. I guess there would be proof with ebay in the emails enough to get your money back, if you had to go that route? Sounds "difficult", or more that it should be or has been in the past.

Let me know how it goes? TBH I don't think that it is anything intended maliciously by the seller, given your reaction? But I've set auto accepting offers before, but haven't listed often more than one thing, but :makepoint: my point is this would be good to know as a seller on my end as well :cheers: 

On 7/1/2023 at 3:57 PM, Gaard said:

What's going on?

Ebay's new stupid auto pay.

If it asks how you want to pay upfront when you are making the offer you will be charged if the offer is accepted.

Two ways around it.

Have the seller make one listing for all the books you want.

I think if the seller sends a counter offer you will not be charged if you accept.

It is a stupid idea and no, you can't opt out as either a buyer OR seller.

Trust me, I tried.

They are working pretty hard to get that extra 30 cents per transaction.

On 7/1/2023 at 3:57 PM, Gaard said:

What's going on?

It may depend on the browser you’re using. I had the same issue a few months ago using safari but when I chose a preference through the app, I actually got a new window asking “save preference”, chose yes and it’s been fine since. eBay doesn’t always fix glitches after an update so having different methods of visiting the site may be the best option 

On 7/1/2023 at 5:09 PM, Timmay said:

Ebay's new stupid auto pay.

If it asks how you want to pay upfront when you are making the offer you will be charged if the offer is accepted.

Two ways around it.

Have the seller make one listing for all the books you want.

I think if the seller sends a counter offer you will not be charged if you accept.

It is a stupid idea and no, you can't opt out as either a buyer OR seller.

Trust me, I tried.

They are working pretty hard to get that extra 30 cents per transaction.

Yep. Just went to Ebay's "community" and read all about this new rule. Stoopid!

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/automatic-payments/m-p/33549843

On 7/1/2023 at 6:00 PM, Gaard said:

Yep. Just went to Ebay's "community" and read all about this new rule. Stoopid!

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/automatic-payments/m-p/33549843

Yes this just happened to me through the app.  Fortunately I only wanted one item and was happy my offer was accepted. However when presented with it again later with a desire to make offers on multiple items, I just opened up a new ebay account and it allowed me to make the offers without prompting me to select a payment method.  

I think I'll probably just have to message the seller to offer a lot sale if that account gets brought under autopay.

Looking for some feedback on a situation I got here.

So I have this buyer seems really interested in a very high price slab I have on Ebay. Frequent messages about what my best offer is without making an offer despite replying that he could make one. They've only been on Ebay for bit over a year. Location is China but they claim their shipping address is in New Chastle Delaware which is known as a tax shelter. Looking at their feedback it looks great. Never sold anything but 100% as a buyer with wonderful glowing feedback from mostly comics and collectibles type sellers. Has 329 transactions with positive feedback. I'm inclined not to take seriously out of caution but what would you do? 

Edited by MGsimba77

On 9/4/2023 at 8:11 PM, MGsimba77 said:

So I have this buyer seems really interested in a very high price slab I have on Ebay. Frequent messages about what my best offer is without making an offer despite replying that he could make one. They've only been on Ebay for bit over a year. Location is China but they claim their shipping address is in New Chastle Delaware which is known as a tax shelter. Looking at their feedback it looks great. Never sold anything but 100% as a buyer with wonderful glowing feedback from mostly comics and collectibles type sellers. Has 329 transactions with positive feedback. I'm inclined not to take seriously out of caution but what would you do? 

I'd 1 call ebay, or chat with them to double and triple check

2nd isn't there a global shipping program with ebay? Where you ship to eBay center for over seas sales, and they take care of the rest? Global shipping program? I'd look into that, but 

That said, other than those reassurances that ebay will have your back, I'd pass.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/4/2023 at 9:29 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'd 1 call ebay, or chat with them to double and triple check

2nd isn't there a global shipping program with ebay? Where you ship to eBay center for over seas sales, and they take care of the rest? Global shipping program? I'd look into that, but 

That said, other than those reassurances that ebay will have your back, I'd pass.

Yeah but global shipping wouldn't be involved. His shipping address is supposed to be Delaware which is known to be a tax haven. Just raises some red flags. Upon checking with Ebay everything looks good with him including the shipping address. 

On 9/4/2023 at 8:55 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah but global shipping wouldn't be involved. His shipping address is supposed to be Delaware which is known to be a tax haven. Just raises some red flags. Upon checking with Ebay everything looks good with him including the shipping address. 

If you have ebays response in wiriting or a screenshot, but I'll admit idk enough, it is just what I do know is little  :cheers:

Maybe others will chime in if your not in a rush. :) 🙏 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/5/2023 at 9:11 AM, MGsimba77 said:

Buyer is most likely using a freight forward service (which will combine packages etc before shipping it to China). If you are comfortable with the buyer - then should be ok. Note that your responsibility ends when package delivered in Delaware (google address and make sure to use signature service is more than $750). What buyer does afterwards is his respon

On 9/5/2023 at 8:50 AM, Poka said:

Buyer is most likely using a freight forward service (which will combine packages etc before shipping it to China). If you are comfortable with the buyer - then should be ok. Note that your responsibility ends when package delivered in Delaware (google address and make sure to use signature service is more than $750). What buyer does afterwards is his respon

Sure thanks. Just some hesitation from reading a few Ebay horror stories on here from seller experience. Example - seller receives return that ends up being something other than what was shipped out, etc.

Appreciate the feedback.