• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,177 posts in this topic

The upcoming superhero movie The Flash been done and locked for several months now as it awaits its June 16 release. It has many fans inside the studio, including new DC co-head James Gunn, who called it “probably one of the greatest superhero movies of ever made.”

Now it has fan outside the studio walls in actor, superstar and cinema-saver Tom Cruise. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Cruise has seen the movie and loved it so much that he cold-called the movie’s director, Andy Muschietti, to rave about it.

In late February, according to several sources, Cruise had a meeting with Warner Bros Discovery CEO David Zaslav, where the mogul mentioned how great the movie was. Cruise, curiosity piqued, then asked to see it. Zaslav acquiesced to the request, and a copy of the movie was sent over to Cruise.

But as an insider says, this was no casual messengering. A Warners employee brought the movie to Cruise’s home in Beverly Hills and stayed until the actor finished watching The Flash. It is unclear on what format Cruise watched it, whether it was digital or film. When Cruise finished, the movie was given back to the messenger who returned it to the studio.

Cruise was so taken by what he saw that soon after, he reached out to Muschietti. It was a call out of the blue for the director. Cruise is said to have raved about the movie, saying something to the effect that Flash is “everything you want in a movie” and “this is the kind of movie we need now,” according to insiders.

Any more traction on the Grant Gustin rumor that he’s replacing Ezra Miller? It would be awesome, but it also smacks of fanboy conspiracy theory.

On 3/17/2023 at 6:22 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Any more traction on the Grant Gustin rumor that he’s replacing Ezra Miller? It would be awesome, but it also smacks of fanboy conspiracy theory.

I think it is all fanboy conspiracy.  I don't see Gunn/WB pulling Gustin up to the "Big Leagues".

On 3/17/2023 at 5:02 PM, media_junkie said:

I think it is all fanboy conspiracy.  I don't see Gunn/WB pulling Gustin up to the "Big Leagues".

That's kind of my thought too - which is a shame. I think Ezra's Barry Allen doesn't come across nearly as good as Grant Gustin. I think if you put Grant Gustin in a Hollywood-budgeted suit and fed him great material, he'd rise up.

On 3/17/2023 at 9:48 PM, Dr. Balls said:

That's kind of my thought too - which is a shame. I think Ezra's Barry Allen doesn't come across nearly as good as Grant Gustin. I think if you put Grant Gustin in a Hollywood-budgeted suit and fed him great material, he'd rise up.

Hard disagree from me. There's a reason he's never been in a movie.

On 3/20/2023 at 8:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Hard disagree from me. There's a reason he's never been in a movie.

That's probably true. Typecast, maybe? Agent can't close a deal or at least one that is worth a squirt? I don't disagree that there's a reason he's not getting pushed. I mean, his only project during the Flash is some sort of made-for-Netflix movie about training a police dog. :wavingwhiteflag:

However, DC miscasts heroes either by poor choosing or trying to wedge concepts and dialogue into actors that can't deliver it in a way to help the film (if it could be delivered at all by any actor). Jason Momoa as Aquaman? Will Smith as Deadshot? Literally everyone in WW84? Atrocious acting by people who are 100% proven that they can perform better in other projects. Thinking Grant Gustin could pull it off is just as reasonable as thinking that Pedro Pascal could stink up the room as Maxwell Lord.

On 3/20/2023 at 6:47 PM, Dr. Balls said:

That's probably true. Typecast, maybe? Agent can't close a deal or at least one that is worth a squirt? I don't disagree that there's a reason he's not getting pushed. I mean, his only project during the Flash is some sort of made-for-Netflix movie about training a police dog. :wavingwhiteflag:

However, DC miscasts heroes either by poor choosing or trying to wedge concepts and dialogue into actors that can't deliver it in a way to help the film (if it could be delivered at all by any actor). Jason Momoa as Aquaman? Will Smith as Deadshot? Literally everyone in WW84? Atrocious acting by people who are 100% proven that they can perform better in other projects. Thinking Grant Gustin could pull it off is just as reasonable as thinking that Pedro Pascal could stink up the room as Maxwell Lord.

He only has written-for-CW-TV acting skills. That's really all.

The difference being that Momoa and Smith can convincingly act in overly-dramatic situations. Momoa exudes the personality of New 52's Aquaman, despite character design changes.

On 3/21/2023 at 5:24 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

He only has written-for-CW-TV acting skills. That's really all.

You're not wrong there. That's a point I can agree with. Based on only my intuition, I think he could rise above that - but it's an uphill argument for sure. The CW stuff - as fun and limited as it can be - tends to really tie people down. Stephen Amell might be the only one to get any beyond-CW attention after Arrow. Jesse Martin was always pretty good pre-Flash, but if you've watched this final season - they sure didn't do him any favors on the way out. Candice Patton, who I've never liked as Iris seems to be a pretty decent actress despite that, I think she'll probably end up somewhere.

Back to the Ezra Flash, I'm excited to hear everyone's opinion on it. It does look good, and it would be nice for DC fans to finally get some solid direction established. Marvel seems to be faltering, it will be interesting to see if DC can spend the next year or so capitalizing on that.

On 3/21/2023 at 9:52 AM, Dr. Balls said:

You're not wrong there. That's a point I can agree with. Based on only my intuition, I think he could rise above that - but it's an uphill argument for sure. The CW stuff - as fun and limited as it can be - tends to really tie people down. Stephen Amell might be the only one to get any beyond-CW attention after Arrow. Jesse Martin was always pretty good pre-Flash, but if you've watched this final season - they sure didn't do him any favors on the way out. Candice Patton, who I've never liked as Iris seems to be a pretty decent actress despite that, I think she'll probably end up somewhere.

Back to the Ezra Flash, I'm excited to hear everyone's opinion on it. It does look good, and it would be nice for DC fans to finally get some solid direction established. Marvel seems to be faltering, it will be interesting to see if DC can spend the next year or so capitalizing on that.

Melissa Benoist did a really good job in the Waco movie as a cult member. Though she also starred in Patriots Day as the wife of a terrorist and was more subdued in that role. I could see her doing more serious roles like that post-Supergirl.

Agreed on the next year being very telling. The previous WB Studios execs made a huge mess for the company, and then received their golden parachutes afterwards. Those left standing have a heck of a hill to climb.

On 3/21/2023 at 9:52 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Marvel seems to be faltering, it will be interesting to see if DC can spend the next year or so capitalizing on that.

Well, The Flash is the only DC film coming out anytime soon that has a chance at being profitable. Could DC be hiring people to sing its praises because it's actually good? Hard to tell, could just be to puff out the movie's chest as it somehow relates to Gunn's kinda-old-kinda-new-yet-still-confusing DCU.

On 3/21/2023 at 8:17 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Well, The Flash is the only DC film coming out anytime soon that has a chance at being profitable. Could DC be hiring people to sing its praises because it's actually good? Hard to tell, could just be to puff out the movie's chest as it somehow relates to Gunn's kinda-old-kinda-new-yet-still-confusing DCU.

Is Aquaman still on the slate for this year? I had read that Joker 2 is the only thing DC has for films in 2024, which kinda halts the momentum.

On 3/21/2023 at 8:08 AM, Bosco685 said:

Melissa Benoist did a really good job in the Waco movie as a cult member. Though she also starred in Patriots Day as the wife of a terrorist and was more subdued in that role. I could see her doing more serious roles like that post-Supergirl.

That's good news, I'll have to check that out when I get time - she did Supergirl quite well, it'd be nice to see how she does on something else.

On 3/21/2023 at 10:17 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

After Shazam, I think all the DCU films this year are going to struggle.  They will do better than Shazam, but do not see either of them clearing $650 million at this point.  The DCEU and all associated with it are dead.  Yet to see if Gunn can revive it.

On 3/21/2023 at 3:36 PM, drotto said:

After Shazam, I think all the DCU films this year are going to struggle.  They will do better than Shazam, but do not see either of them clearing $650 million at this point.  The DCEU and all associated with it are dead.  Yet to see if Gunn can revive it.

C'mon...you don't think Blue Beetle is gonna' follow in Aquaman's footsteps and clear a cool billion? 

On 3/22/2023 at 6:05 AM, Bosco685 said:

Artist Lee Bermejo has created the cover for the limited steelbook

FrwefpGXwAEOacW.thumb.jpeg.0d812b67e4716aba2c449b75134976f4.jpeg

Same artist that worked on Zack Snyder's Justice League.

1. That doesn't look like Miller's Flash at all. lol
  2. There's a Bermejo Steelbook? The only one I'm aware of is Jim Lee's (which is for Josstice League).

I'm not real familiar with the modern DC books, was the choice to go with a brunette Supergirl just a style choice, or is there a brunette Supergirl in the DC universe now?

I have nothing against brunettes, I was just curious.