• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

Well....I think what lethal_collector means was the list here on the Boards was the first attempt (that I have at least seen) to quantify and rank the books in any meaningful way. Yes CBSI went out to 100, but you'll notice that the list pretty much falls apart anyway after the first 15 or so books due to the inherent volatility in the variant market (which is why we kept it at 12 here to only catalogue the "best of the best"). But CBSI obviously took its cues from the list on the Boards.

-J.

I assume you took cues from then from their Top 10 and Variant Heat Check topics which first started in Feb. 2015? Oh, they mimicked that based on the old Wizard Top 10. But even before that Overstreet had a top list by age. But yes, you were the first to do a comic list.

:screwy:

:foryou:

Well....I think what lethal_collector means was the list here on the Boards was the first attempt (that I have at least seen) to quantify and rank the books in any meaningful way. Yes CBSI went out to 100, but you'll notice that the list pretty much falls apart anyway after the first 15 or so books due to the inherent volatility in the variant market (which is why we kept it at 12 here to only catalogue the "best of the best"). But CBSI obviously took its cues from the list on the Boards.

-J.

I assume you took cues from then from their Top 10 and Variant Heat Check topics which first started in Feb. 2015? Oh, they mimicked that based on the old Wizard Top 10. But even before that Overstreet had a top list by age. But yes, you were the first to do a comic list.

Didn't say anything about all comics lists in general.

Ranking all time modern variants based on value, no, I don't see where that has been done before publicly..

(Different than a weekly variant "heat check" or monthly "Top 10".) (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

^^

-J.

Didn't say anything about all comics lists in general.

Ranking all time modern variants based on value, no, I don't see where that has been done before publicly..

(Different than a weekly variant "heat check" or monthly "Top 10".) (thumbs u

-J.

Oh snap.

Not sure if anyone posted this new list form another site. Updated on 10/16.

Don't agree with their ordering and top 10 rankings though. lol

http://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/most-valuable-comic-books-modern-age.html

Updated in 10/16?

The top 10 is a joke if thats the case. EoS 2 at number 4? Maybe a year ago, not now.

That site is not driven to help us, it's to help them buy things, so take it all in with a grain of salt.

Okay WTF, that seriously dilutes what we are trying to do here. I want proof of that $3,500 EoS Land variant sale, they've been selling at what $500ish? *mega facepalm*

THey don't even record the highest X-23 1 D'O sales price either if they are going by the biggest single sale.

Jerome

Okay WTF, that seriously dilutes what we are trying to do here. I want proof of that $3,500 EoS Land variant sale, they've been selling at what $500ish? *mega facepalm*

THey don't even record the highest X-23 1 D'O sales price either if they are going by the biggest single sale.

Jerome

They're talking about the 9.9 sale of the EoSV #2 from over a year ago. It looks like they pretty much base the list off from "highest price ever paid" for a book, regardless of when that was, or whether or not it was an outlier.

But yeah, a lot of their sales price data is wrong.

ASM 688 Campbell also should have been on that list, along with WD #100 red foil/lucille, etc. It just seems to be "anti-variant" for some reason.

-J.

Jerome

They're talking about the 9.9 sale of the EoSV #2 from over a year ago. It looks like they pretty much base the list off from "highest price ever paid" for a book, regardless of when that was, or whether or not it was an outlier.

But yeah, a lot of their sales price data is wrong.

ASM 688 Campbell also should have been on that list, along with WD #100 red foil/lucille, etc. It just seems to be "anti-variant" for some reason.

-J.

Agreed. It was very strange list, considering it was just updated a couple of weeks ago. lol:roflmao:

WTF is up with the minimum values? Y the Last Man #1 minimum value $1. For what, a copy used as toilet paper? Totally meaningless numbers all around on this list.

WTF is up with the minimum values? Y the Last Man #1 minimum value $1. For what, a copy used as toilet paper? Totally meaningless numbers all around on this list.

That's still quality toilet paper lol

Totally agree. It should be cover price but even that isn't without flaws in the concept.

Just leave minimum value off.

I didn't read all 40 pages of this but I'm wondering if anyone mentioned Spawn #185 B/W sketch variant or Spawn #223 Kudranski Variant.

We need more robust search. All the other forums I frequent have a search option within threads. 2c

You can search within threads?

I didn't read all 40 pages of this but I'm wondering if anyone mentioned Spawn #185 B/W sketch variant or Spawn #223 Kudranski Variant.

We need more robust search. All the other forums I frequent have a search option within threads. 2c

You can search within threads?

Not on here. Some other forums you can.

#185 is on the list. Here is the last ranking:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9303163&fpart=37