• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,409 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2023 at 12:18 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Oh man, that's disturbing - where would someone buy something like that? You know, just asking so I don't accidentally end up there... So anyway, any ideas on where? :shiftyeyes:

Pretty sure with the right key words you can find it on Aliexpress 😉

Even cheaper.   Some decent sales.  I think I posted this when it was $35.  They just marked the Obi Wan Three Pack down to $25 at 51% off. 

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Collection-3-75-Inch-Scale-F7790/dp/B09SBL687Z/

image.thumb.png.9003226555a04e0a7c5f4110c049ffbb.png

My Transformers Dying Ironhide and Prowl set finally shipped to me, weeks after being put out in stores early. Not a whole lot to say about this one. The extra deco on Ironhide is nice, but I haven't got much use for a battle-damaged version, and Prowl is an interesting variant for much the same reasons. I've already got both of these guys in the regular versions, but they're my favourite characters, so I felt compelled to buy this pack. I feel the whole 'dying' thing could have been done better, with Prowl having an alternate headsculpt with smoke and fire coming out of his mouth and eyes, as per the film. What we got makes me wonder just who it appeals to, besides those who missed out on Prowl and can't afford the insane prices the original goes for. The good thing about the set is no clear plastic to deal with. Not really a big issue for me, as all my bots stay in bot mode, but you still have to be wary, especially with the Prowl mold, if you're moving the legs. This eliminates that worry altogether. 

Here's a few pics of it still in the box. I've got no reason to take it out yet, but everything is clearly displayed. 

20230822_122845.thumb.jpg.97bc20034076fe79ad63fb39ba980fdf.jpg20230822_122922.thumb.jpg.c2ce2324cf30146d8035a3ac032b50b5.jpg20230822_122928.thumb.jpg.98f5e8e172b81089a2ef86cc942c409d.jpg

Edited by Cat

On 8/21/2023 at 10:47 PM, Cat said:

My Transformers Dying Ironhide and Prowl set finally shipped to me, weeks after being put out in stores early. Not a whole lot to say about this one. The extra deco on Ironhide is nice, but I haven't got much use for a battle-damaged version, and Prowl is an interesting variant for much the same reasons. I've already got both of these guys in the regular versions, but they're my favourite characters, so I felt compelled to buy this pack. I feel the whole 'dying' thing could have been done better, with Prowl having an alternate headsculpt with smoke and fire coming out of his mouth and eyes, as per the film. What we got makes me wonder just who it appeals to, besides those who missed out on Prowl and can't afford the insane prices the original goes for. The good thing about the set is no clear plastic to deal with. Not really a big issue for me, as all my bots stay in bot mode, but you still have to be wary, especially with the Prowl mold, if you're moving the legs. This eliminates that worry altogether. 

Here's a few pics of it still in the box. I've got no reason to take it out yet, but everything is clearly displayed. 

20230822_122845.thumb.jpg.97bc20034076fe79ad63fb39ba980fdf.jpg20230822_122922.thumb.jpg.c2ce2324cf30146d8035a3ac032b50b5.jpg20230822_122928.thumb.jpg.98f5e8e172b81089a2ef86cc942c409d.jpg

I think I mentioned it before, but my only problem with this set is that it doesn't go far enough! Indeed, I totally agree, we needed a headsculpt with smoke and fire pouring out of Prowl's mouth and eyes. That's the most iconic scene, the one that destroyed so many childhoods! I'm tickled this set exists at all, but really with they'd have made it even more graphic, but I realize that a Target store exclusive probably isn't going to go too hard on the robot gore.

I know a lot of folks are happy that the clear plastic is gone, and I totally understand why, but I think the painted windows look so dopey. That bright blue makes them look like a Fisher Price toy. 

Looking forward to the inevitable Ratchet/Brawn Death pack, hopefully we get some blast effects for Brawn's fatal shoulder injury!

On 8/23/2023 at 5:02 AM, F For Fake said:

I think I mentioned it before, but my only problem with this set is that it doesn't go far enough! Indeed, I totally agree, we needed a headsculpt with smoke and fire pouring out of Prowl's mouth and eyes. That's the most iconic scene, the one that destroyed so many childhoods! I'm tickled this set exists at all, but really with they'd have made it even more graphic, but I realize that a Target store exclusive probably isn't going to go too hard on the robot gore.

I know a lot of folks are happy that the clear plastic is gone, and I totally understand why, but I think the painted windows look so dopey. That bright blue makes them look like a Fisher Price toy. 

Looking forward to the inevitable Ratchet/Brawn Death pack, hopefully we get some blast effects for Brawn's fatal shoulder injury!

Yeah Brawn can be fun, Ratchet is obviously just going to be this same damaged mold again. It matches his damage pattern perfectly. Even though they're the same classes, I do hope they put a price cut on the theoretical second one. After all, Prowl is so big for a Deluxe, and Brawn is on the complete other end. It completely changes the consumer value proposition. But this is nu-Hasbro, so I doubt it. 

Maybe this one's just me, but if we're doing the Shuttle crew, why not do Windcharger and Wheeljack as well, and get dead versions of all the Autobots out there. Give them swappable heads with painted and black eyes. Make the dead one on a more extreme angle. 

On 8/22/2023 at 5:26 PM, Cat said:

Yeah Brawn can be fun, Ratchet is obviously just going to be this same damaged mold again. It matches his damage pattern perfectly. Even though they're the same classes, I do hope they put a price cut on the theoretical second one. After all, Prowl is so big for a Deluxe, and Brawn is on the complete other end. It completely changes the consumer value proposition. But this is nu-Hasbro, so I doubt it. 

Maybe this one's just me, but if we're doing the Shuttle crew, why not do Windcharger and Wheeljack as well, and get dead versions of all the Autobots out there. Give them swappable heads with painted and black eyes. Make the dead one on a more extreme angle. 

Absolutely, I'm all about it. Gimme all the dead bots you can!

Got a question for the thread here...I'm still a number of years away from having a space where I can display my figures, but in the meantime, I've still managed to accumulate a few dozen on-card X-Mens and related. Is there any kind of decent way to package and store these in boxes/tubs, without them getting crushed?

On 8/24/2023 at 10:32 AM, Cocomonkey said:

Got a question for the thread here...I'm still a number of years away from having a space where I can display my figures, but in the meantime, I've still managed to accumulate a few dozen on-card X-Mens and related. Is there any kind of decent way to package and store these in boxes/tubs, without them getting crushed?

If they are not in star cases then I would suggest smaller boxes that try to emulate the shipping boxes.  So you stack them on their sides at alternate positions.  Think of how they would be positioned to ship them.  Then put those smaller boxes in larger boxes. 

Also pack firmly but not tightly.  If there is too much space things bounce around. 

Picked up the Seance maquette during Dark Horse Direct's recent sale, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of all of the parts involved. I didn't buy it originally because I was afraid the price was solely related to the size, but it's actually fantastic construction with a great paint job. The exclusive pin and print were also high quality, and the packing was basically bulletproof. Makes me more likely to buy another figure for them should they ever do more characters I like, and I wish the old White Violin maquette wasn't such a high resale price. 

Seance.jpg

For MOTU collectors, would you concur that the commemorative series now 20ish years old is the closest retro we will get to the original 80 eight backs?

I finally was able to get to a WaMart the other day to check out the retro $18 figures but seem to recall the commemorative were the closest we will get as I don't have a small fortune laying around to dump into a NM slabbed 8 back Skeletor :cheers:

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 12.47.34 AM.png

On 8/24/2023 at 12:17 PM, Buzzetta said:

If they are not in star cases then I would suggest smaller boxes that try to emulate the shipping boxes.  So you stack them on their sides at alternate positions.  Think of how they would be positioned to ship them.  Then put those smaller boxes in larger boxes. 

Also pack firmly but not tightly.  If there is too much space things bounce around. 

Appreciate the advice, thanks! Will give that a try (and look into these star cases...).

On 8/24/2023 at 6:04 PM, Buzzetta said:

@comicwiz I remember you saying something about this but I cannot locate it.  What is your take on trying to match the variation of each weapon with the variation of each figure produced in each factory.  Is it worth the effort? 

368472184_6847524845266850_5379501985431261546_n.jpg

Short answer, no.

I know some of the contributors, and I realize they put time/effort into this, but it is pointless. It's a tiny data sample size, and Kenner had a replacement policy and program, which many parents and kids wrote into with letters to get replacement accessories/weapons sent to them after they lost theirs. Sometimes they claimed they were missing. Kenner never looked-up any matrix or list of what weapon went to which figure from which factory. The research is also deliberately exclusionary, because in instances where certain figures were matched-up with different weapon versions, the data sample did not include certain releases like the Trilogo. Because, certain people claimed, Trilogo's weren't always accurate and mismatched figures along with weapons at the factory. :shiftyeyes:

Edited by comicwiz

On 8/25/2023 at 10:20 AM, comicwiz said:

I know some of the contributors, and I realize they put time/effort into this, but it is pointless.

I suspect that some of them are interested in the vintage SW accessories just as accessories.  Not necessarily caring about matching them to the variant fig they go with but just wanting to recognize the accessory variants.

Back in the day I collected loose vintage SW figs and I ended up liking collecting genuine accessories more than the figs themselves. So many fakes out there, it was fun to get good at recognizing genuine accessories. 

I used to buy crappy condition figs that had rare accessories, just for the accessory.  Some of the bigger sellers on rebelscum used to clear out their stashes of common accessories and I'd buy those too.

I have a whole of them and they are my favorite part of my vintage SW collection.

I think that graphic just shows what basic weapon type and color came with the initial issues of each figure, so for that, it's very helpful.  I like to match mine up that way, but I'm still missing a couple because prices have gotten out of hand, and bootlegs (Ugh!) are becoming more and more common.  I don't care about the different mold variations among the stormtrooper guns (for example), just whether the figure initially came with the black one or the blue one.  That chart seems perfect for that, as far as I can tell.

On 8/25/2023 at 3:46 PM, Gonzimodo said:

I think that graphic just shows what basic weapon type and color came with the initial issues of each figure, so for that, it's very helpful.  I like to match mine up that way, but I'm still missing a couple because prices have gotten out of hand, and bootlegs (Ugh!) are becoming more and more common.  I don't care about the different mold variations among the stormtrooper guns (for example), just whether the figure initially came with the black one or the blue one.  That chart seems perfect for that, as far as I can tell.

"Releases" is probably a better word than "issues." (shrug)