• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,663 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2023 at 4:59 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Here's a Lego video while you hobby ... a YouTuber I subscribe to that mostly discusses Magic and collectible card games has revealed his horde of sealed product 

He also does give some decent financial insights (again insights, not advice) and/or dialogues for those who appreciate some musings (and it's at least worth a gander since he was a stockbroker in the 2000s). I used to love watching his videos when I was a MTG player in 2016-2020.

Edited by Skylath

And next up, a couple more additions to my slowly growing McF DC collection. Most of what Todd puts out is still clearly not my thing, but if he's going to release more classic character designs with vanilla sculpts, I'll keep buying. This Riddler is gorgeous, maybe my favorite DC figure he's released so far. More like this, please!

IMG_5152.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG

IMG_5154.JPG

It hurts my heart that anyone wouldn't instantly identify the Baseball Furies! Is "The Warriors" no longer taught in our schools??? What has happened to this country?

"Warriors, come out and plaaaaaaay." 

I've been very tmepted to grab this, but $275 is little steep. Look great, tho'.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/product/variationdetails/88090

8e4f7104-261e-4cf0-9f77-950aed24128f.jpg

On 9/12/2023 at 9:03 AM, F For Fake said:

It hurts my heart that anyone wouldn't instantly identify the Baseball Furies! Is "The Warriors" no longer taught in our schools??? What has happened to this country?

"Warriors, come out and plaaaaaaay." 

I cried a little when I read that post. 

As was rumored, Titans Return Fortress Maximus is coming back. He sold out at Pulse in under 15 minutes, but is still up at BBTS (and presumably EE, amongst others) for those that need him.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/32707?o=1

I missed out on this guy back when he was being clearanced at Ollie's (I didn't get back into TF collecting until WFC) so I jumped on this one.

On 9/12/2023 at 10:42 PM, F For Fake said:

And next up, a couple more additions to my slowly growing McF DC collection. Most of what Todd puts out is still clearly not my thing, but if he's going to release more classic character designs with vanilla sculpts, I'll keep buying. This Riddler is gorgeous, maybe my favorite DC figure he's released so far. More like this, please!

IMG_5152.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG

IMG_5154.JPG

Where did you find Catman? 

I won't touch Hot Toys for multiple reasons:

• The materials the figures are made from degrades too quickly.  Sometimes it just degrades over time all by itself, but more often it degrades if you have the figure in any kind of pose where the joints are bent.  I don't want action figures that I have to pose like statues.
  • Even if you do want to pose them the articulation is absolutely terrible.
  • Most faces are squarely in the Uncanny Valley.  A few aren't, but the great majority are.  Sabine there looks like she almost avoided the Uncanny Valley, but not entirely.  She's definitely better than most and somewhere on the upwards slope out of the Valley on the way towards complete photorealism.
  • They take up too much space.  I much prefer the 1:12 scale for the space reason, or for lines where large creatures or vehicles are integral to the brand then the 1:18 scale.  Ever seen the Hot Toys sixth scale Millennium Falcon they made for a con a few years back?  That thing takes up an entire large room and demonstrates why the sixth scale doesn't work for lines where vehicles are an important part of the line.
Edited by fantastic_four

For those who haven't seen the Hot Toys sixth scale Millennium Falcon here it is.  VERY impressive, but nothing any of us would normally have room for.  They never sold this and only made one for display.  Not sure if they still have it, but I'm guessing they do.

Hot-Toys-Millennium-Falcon-Full-Preview-

1.jpg

On 9/13/2023 at 2:31 PM, Cat said:

Where did you find Catman? 

I got a bundle from McFarlane's website, included these two and a "Gold Patina" Superboy, which I'll probably sell. At the time I placed the order, Catman and Riddler seemed to be sold out everywhere, so I probably ended up overpaying. Oh well. 

Because I dumped on Hot Toys yesterday I'd like to clarify I LOVE that company.   I respect that they exist and the work they do, and whenever they release any new action figures I'm always interested in seeing them.  But I can't buy them due to the bad articulation and poor durability.

The Hot Toys figures I've been most on the fence about are the Ahsoka figures.  I debated buying those for months.  However, that rubbery material that they put over elbow and knee joints that are exposed which you can see on the Clone Wars Ahsoka below crack if you leave the figures in a bent-arm pose.  So whenever you see Hot Toys figures in poses flexing those joints hardcore Hot Toys collectors know not to leave them in that pose or the skin will crack.  Both figures are also squarely in the Uncanny Valley, although it's highly minimized with her alien look defined by her multi-colored montrals and lekku.

I love that Hot Toys is doing what they do in covering joints with skin because it really does improve the look of action figures...but it just isn't working.  I hope they eventually perfect it in a durable way.  :wishluck:

ahsoka-tano_star-wars_gallery_63d98f1b7a

174586772_10157957948387344_421158220496

Edited by fantastic_four

I used to be all in on Hot Toys. I was an early adopter, my first figures being the Colonial Marines from Aliens. This was back when a brand new Hot Toys figure was about $80. They didn't have rights to the likenesses at that point, so they weren't totally screen accurate, but the attention to detail on the costume design was unreal. It was my first experience with hyper-detailed, high-end collectible "dolls" like that. In subsequent years, I picked up several more. I ended up selling them all off when my focus changed, and I wanted to fund the purchase of some vintage pieces.

As for the issues with the material, it is largely a case by case basis. There are definitely instances of figures with "rubbery" costumes exhibiting signs of "weeping". Not sure if that's due to uncured plastic or what. There are also sometimes issues with figures that have joints hidden by fleshy rubber cracking if they are held in certain positions.

However, I don't think it's the majority of figures. Many have held their shape for many years with no problems. I'd say just do some research on any particular figure you're interested in, in order to gauge whether or not there are concerns.

As for articulation, I don't really "play" with my toys, so however I pose them initially is how they're going to stay. And I also tend to keep them in a bland vanilla pose. So articulation isn't an issue for me.

As for Sabine Wren, I only know this character from the Ahsoka show, which we just started watching last week. I am familiar with Ahsoka from having watched Clone Wars all those many years ago, but I don't know any of these other new characters, who apparently were on another show or something and have a fan following. So, no interest in the character. I'm sure it'll be a nice likeness from HT.