• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,346 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I think it just boils down to aesthetics and personal taste, not much different from someone who specifically collects offerless/unpunched cards that just wants as clean a front as possible. Heck, I even knew of a person that would remove the GI Joe stickered offers like Super Trooper (bad example, that was a pretty ugly sticker), just to get a cleaner front. I think there's a little bit stronger argument for removing price stickers since they're not factory-original, but I'm not advocating for or against. I like to see them just like I love a date stamp on a comic, but it's up to the person who owns the item to do as they please. Many times those stickers come off and it looks worse because of the technique or tenacity of the glue, that's the real shame IMO.

In a perfect situation, I guess I'd prefer a totally clean card, devoid of stickers. But like I said, I certainly don't MIND a sticker, if it's still in nice shape and not plastered right over the character's face, or something. But as you mentioned, either scenario is vastly superior to a card that has been "cleaned" and now has a square that is discolored, or brighter than the rest of the card, or still has residue, etc. The effort to "improve" a piece often yields a much less desirable item. I guess my overall philosophy is to buy the nicest piece I can find, and whether it's stickered or not, just leave it alone!

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

In a perfect situation, I guess I'd prefer a totally clean card, devoid of stickers. But like I said, I certainly don't MIND a sticker, if it's still in nice shape and not plastered right over the character's face, or something. But as you mentioned, either scenario is vastly superior to a card that has been "cleaned" and now has a square that is discolored, or brighter than the rest of the card, or still has residue, etc. The effort to "improve" a piece often yields a much less desirable item. I guess my overall philosophy is to buy the nicest piece I can find, and whether it's stickered or not, just leave it alone!

I actually overpaid once for a store sticker on a card.  I knew I would never see it again on that particular card so I threw I did whatever it would take to win the bid.  It is one of the three AFA vintage figures I have saved still MOC.  As was said, it all depends on what is meaningful to the buyer. 

Edited by Buzzetta

7 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I love the store stickers!

Only exception is what someone else mentioned (gigantic ugly sticker that was usually a discount).

Patrick

19 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I actually overpaid once for a store sticker on a card.  I knew I would never see it again on that particular card so I threw I did whatever it would take to win the bid.  It is one of the three AFA vintage figures I have saved still MOC.  As was said, it all depends on what is meaningful to the buyer. 

Care to share a few more details? What was the figure/toy? And what store was the sticker from?

13 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this is actually my first graded figure. hard to plunge deep into this hobby AND comics at the same time, much as i would like to. had all the original 12 as a kid and still vividly remember the excitement of getting each one, and then the second wave of the 21 back characters. and i had a boba fett that i sent away for with proof of purchases. but never had one in the box, until now. 

Pretty much nowhere to go but down after that! One of the top figures in the hobby! :golfclap:

Went to a toy show this weekend. 

Wow!  Could not believe the turn-out and how toys were flying out the door. 

Did a run-through and identified some things for the 2nd pass.  On the 2nd pass, virtually every single piece was already sold. 

Heard people asking for things that I never hear interest on.  Lady asked for Bucky O'Hare.  

Pretty interesting time for toy collecting. 

Patrick

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I believe the symbol is for the currency yen, used in Japan.  That's all I know.

Big Boy, Inc., Japan. Think Bobs (they are). Also involved in gaming, and shoot offs like comics, and stuff. Listed in D&B. Note the BB symbol is absent the Bobs we all know, to avoid problems, but is used by Big Boy Inc, for their other stuff. I don't know if that helps or not. It does not appear to be a knock off BB, but you never know.

19 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Went to a toy show this weekend. 

Wow!  Could not believe the turn-out and how toys were flying out the door. 

Did a run-through and identified some things for the 2nd pass.  On the 2nd pass, virtually every single piece was already sold. 

Heard people asking for things that I never hear interest on.  Lady asked for Bucky O'Hare.  

Pretty interesting time for toy collecting. 

Patrick

Bucky O'Hare is awesome. They recently released new figures and I think the original creative team is working on new books.

2 hours ago, halbert said:

Any Hot Toy collectors on here? Or is that frowned upon?

I have a few. I think there are some posts about them in the Statue Collections topic. From what I've seen here I thought this was more vintage and some modern smaller figures.