• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Heritage Auction

731 posts in this topic

Uh, wow. Terry and the Pirates gets this auction off to a rousing start.

Terry art is completely off my radar. Is this typical? Holy , the second one is going nuts too. Are these particularly special examples?

Must be because a 1939 Sunday piece went for about $5000 in may.

Terry art is completely off my radar. Is this typical? Holy , the second one is going nuts too. Are these particularly special examples?

Second one is very nice, and I don't watch these either but it seems like they went freaking nuts.

Fosters seemed a little soft at half the price of the Caniffs??

As I've always said, put a pretty girl on the page, and it's worth more!

If I'm a consignor, I'm really happy with this auctioneer.

I like him...he reminds of John Saxon... in glasses.

I am going to call him John Saxon from now on...

5a26360c8e68f90f7477dc062aa5992d.jpg

Obviously two determined bidders could take this one wherever, but I personally don't see $250-$400K. For me, even though he's still just a prototype in it, it's HOS 92 that is the "AF15" equivalent for Swamp Thing, and that is the one that would fetch the kind of money (possibly more) that you're talking about. Not only because of its significance, but because it is so well-drawn and iconic. To me, the ST 1 is neither the best nor the most memorable cover from the ST volume 1 run. It's just the first one, which will get a premium, to be sure, but I don't think to the extent you're ascribing.

Like I said, this one could end up anywhere, but, personally, I think it should go $150-$180K. I mean, I'd take either the XM 95 ($155K) or the ASM 98 ($179K) covers any day over this one, though I can see how the more art-oriented (vs. nostalgia-oriented) guys in the hobby (like Scott W.) would prefer this one. That said, to me, ASM 121 and GL 76 are unquestionably both in a totally different category than this one - those are covers to very key, historic books drawn by two indisputably A-list artists. HOS 92 would compare favorably vs. those two, but ST 1...no way in my book.

ST 1 went for $191K ($160K hammer). One last cut bid and response pushed it above the high end of my estimate (which represented a $150K hammer price).

The air is thin up there. I think a lot of art that people "think" is $250K+ is, more realistically, in the $150-$200K range.

Obviously two determined bidders could take this one wherever, but I personally don't see $250-$400K. For me, even though he's still just a prototype in it, it's HOS 92 that is the "AF15" equivalent for Swamp Thing, and that is the one that would fetch the kind of money (possibly more) that you're talking about. Not only because of its significance, but because it is so well-drawn and iconic. To me, the ST 1 is neither the best nor the most memorable cover from the ST volume 1 run. It's just the first one, which will get a premium, to be sure, but I don't think to the extent you're ascribing.

Like I said, this one could end up anywhere, but, personally, I think it should go $150-$180K. I mean, I'd take either the XM 95 ($155K) or the ASM 98 ($179K) covers any day over this one, though I can see how the more art-oriented (vs. nostalgia-oriented) guys in the hobby (like Scott W.) would prefer this one. That said, to me, ASM 121 and GL 76 are unquestionably both in a totally different category than this one - those are covers to very key, historic books drawn by two indisputably A-list artists. HOS 92 would compare favorably vs. those two, but ST 1...no way in my book.

ST 1 went for $191K ($160K hammer). One last cut bid and response pushed it above the high end of my estimate (which represented a $150K hammer price).

The air is thin up there. I think a lot of art that people "think" is $250K+ is, more realistically, in the $150-$200K range.

You were right on this one. I'm a little.. disappointed? As I personally like ST a lot. Ah well.

Soft results at profiles probably didn't help either.

Thanks for your thoughts Gene.

Just for the record I wasn't suggesting 150 on the special series, but I do think it will crack 100? (butt quote).

$65.7K on the Special Series. Special, but not $100K+ special.