• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2023 at 3:44 PM, Michael Browning said:

I looked at it very closely and the blue and black are both very vibrant and don't appear to be sun faded, which is why I believe it's a spoilage copy. It may be a case of the printing press not having the right amount of the Y color which would leave a hint of yellow, but the red is definitely not there at all. I think the yellow is just from the paper, though.

Here is an interior page comparison. I hadn't read this book in years so I had forgotten how funky the colors are. 
You can clearly see both copies have same color here. I think its sun fade now as well. Where I thought it wasnt 
is because all the colors inside the comic are messed up. Thats they way it is I think for all copies. 

20231006_235037.jpg

20231006_235043.jpg

On 10/6/2023 at 9:24 PM, fastballspecial said:

Its not at least I think its not.  I thought it was too, but the interior pages are missing the color as well on several pages. If not convinced I can post you some interior pics.

All also grab another copy somewhere so I can compare interiors. 

I am not 100% convinced yet, but both arguments make sense here. Let me dig for awhile 
and see what I can find. 

I think in general they print the covers separately because they're on different stock, but that might not be the case with that issue, if it had glossy interiors.

On 10/7/2023 at 12:38 AM, OtherEric said:

I think in general they print the covers separately because they're on different stock, but that might not be the case with that issue, if it had glossy interiors.

The only way they might print the covers and interiors together is if they use the exact same paper and there is only one version of the issue.

On 10/29/2023 at 7:54 AM, Michael Browning said:

I have never seen the Stridex issues in the wild, but I’ve picked up the bottom issue in collections a few times.

The other two I find every few years, but tough in NM as they are just paper inserts. 

The Stridex book even came with the letter from Stridex. You had to request a copy thru the mail. 
Ive seen it online, but never in person. 

On 10/29/2023 at 1:16 PM, fastballspecial said:
On 10/29/2023 at 7:54 AM, Michael Browning said:

I have never seen the Stridex issues in the wild, but I’ve picked up the bottom issue in collections a few times.

The other two I find every few years, but tough in NM as they are just paper inserts. 

The Stridex book even came with the letter from Stridex. You had to request a copy thru the mail. 
Ive seen it online, but never in person. 

I too have found the X-men 1 with Wolverine on the cover at the used bookstore. I didn't pick it up, it was one of those I looked up when I saw it, but it didn't light any fires lol

I've passed on so much over the years a 3.0 Wolverine 145 Nabisco variant comes to mind, but I thought back in 2016 it was common enough to find higher. I was so new, but it happens, I still think it's cool yall can do something with them

Here’s one that I have never found in the wild and probably never will. Chuck #2 Convention Exclusive. After many years of searching everywhere, I bought my copy on eBay and paid a huge price for it - almost as much as I did for the original art. The only copy I’d ever seen before the one I bought recently was one on Amazon for $1,000 and I sure wasn’t paying that.

chuck2.jpeg

IMG_2956.jpeg

On 10/29/2023 at 6:10 PM, Michael Browning said:

Here’s one that I have never found in the wild and probably never will. Chuck #2 Convention Exclusive. After many years of searching everywhere, I bought my copy on eBay and paid a huge price for it - almost as much as I did for the original art. The only copy I’d ever seen before the one I bought recently was one on Amazon for $1,000 and I sure wasn’t paying that.

chuck2.jpeg

IMG_2956.jpeg

Hey I'm so glad you posted about this. You bought my copy. Thanks for you purchase. I'm glad I sold it to you. Key Collector shortly thereafter updated this sale to their site. I had no idea about a $1,000 copy on Amazon. It's one of those rarities where it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I got it earlier this year around June from a guy who got it for free at SDCC 2008. I thought I would never see him again but he messaged me this weekend and sure enough I found another copy (he kept one for himself). The copy I got on Saturday however is not as nice as the one you bought as it has a top corner bend crease.

On 10/30/2023 at 2:16 AM, littledoom said:

Hey I'm so glad you posted about this. You bought my copy. Thanks for you purchase. I'm glad I sold it to you. Key Collector shortly thereafter updated this sale to their site. I had no idea about a $1,000 copy on Amazon. It's one of those rarities where it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I got it earlier this year around June from a guy who got it for free at SDCC 2008. I thought I would never see him again but he messaged me this weekend and sure enough I found another copy (he kept one for himself). The copy I got on Saturday however is not as nice as the one you bought as it has a top corner bend crease.

Thank you for selling it to me! The original art was fairly cheap and I got it for my wife a few years ago. She was a big fan of the show and we always watched it together. I love to match up my art with the comics, so I’d been searching for this issue for YEARS. I also appreciate you giving me a great deal on it. It really pleased my wife to finally see a copy. 😊