• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,434 posts in this topic

Has anyone sighted Scrooge lately? I've missed him around threads like this one.

:hi: I'm around ... just busy. Found a little time to scan a couple of recent arrivals that might be of interest -

OurGang26.jpg

Cool - nice to see you posting again. :hi:

I'm partial to those OG issues with Barks and Kelly. Unappreciated gems, some of those B^5 (Barks Barney Bear and Benny Burro) stories.

Morris Gollub, who painted many later Tarzan covers for Dell.

Thanks! Never heard of him. But I like his work on this cover a lot! Never too old to learn new things...

:hi: I'm around ... just busy. Found a little time to scan a couple of recent arrivals that might be of interest -

OurGang26.jpg

Great cover!

LoneRanger6.jpg

More Gollub? That guy had such a great style(s). His covers are so eye-catching with such solid figures - almost like posters.

Late last year, I have started to accumulate issues of Tomahawk (aim is full run up to 50 and get cheapies all the way up to 100). Not terribly hard to get run but not everywhere and about as quintessential Atom Age genre-uniqueness as Rex, the Wonder Dog, this has turned out to be a pleasant endeavor. Here's # 25 -

Tomahawk25.jpg

I really like Atomic Age Tomahawks, and pick one up now and then when the price is right. Here's a couple of mine:

Tomahawk22.jpg

Tom41.jpg

Just got this one from the VCC. There seems to be a disagreement between Overstreet and GCD about this being a Toth cover, but it certainly looks like his lines and dynamic posing. Also has Toth and Kane art inside.

AAW117_zps4ec43d4d.jpg

Edited by JohnT

That's Infantino and Giella for the cover and it is a very good one even if it's not Toth. (thumbs u

Nice change of pace to see Swan drawing Tomahawk! :applause:

Tomahawk22.jpg

Just got this one from the VCC. There seems to be a disagreement between Overstreet and GCD about this being a Toth cover, but it certainly looks like his lines and dynamic posing. Also has Toth and Kane art inside.

AAW117_zps4ec43d4d.jpg

Looks more like Toth than some of the other covers credited to him. The only other DC artist it could be is Infantino, but he's not associated with this title and it looks more like Toth anyway.

That's Infantino and Giella for the cover and it is a very good one even if it's not Toth. (thumbs u

Didn't see this until after I had posted. I bow to adamstrange's knowledge of this era, but definitely has a Toth look to it. Their styles were very close at this time.

Didn't see this until after I had posted. I bow to adamstrange's knowledge of this era, but definitely has a Toth look to it. Their styles were very close at this time.

I particularly like this title so I have looked at the art quite closely -- this cover always looked like Infantino to me. One of the best, if not THE best identifiers of Toth art is Jim Vadeboncouer, and he has this explicitly listed this issue as "not Toth" and indicates it's Infantino & Giella. He has had multiple conversations with Toth to discuss covers where there was disagreement as to his involvement and I have never found a good reason to question his judgment.

Toth and Dan Barry set the style for the early 50s and were widely imitated, making it hard at times to distinguish their work from others.

AllAmWestToth.jpg

Interesting debate, and I'm certainly no expert. When I think of a Toth cover I think of that freeze-frame action shot, similar to this one.

Definitely Toth on both of those, though there are elements in there that Infantino later incorporated into his art (e.g. the loose linework/inking of the hands).

AAW117_zps4ec43d4d.jpg

Looks more like Toth than some of the other covers credited to him. The only other DC artist it could be is Infantino, but he's not associated with this title and it looks more like Toth anyway.

Carefully placed date stamp on this one. :D