• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:25 PM, kdoginohio said:

just started watching Black Mirror and I couldn't figure out where I had seen this actress before, then it dawned on me that it was Jodi Whitaker!doh!

Was watching Broadchurch Series 2 the other day myself.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:12 PM, Number 6 said:

That’s important because it ties in with the next issue - future releases. I was kind of expecting that they might jump to the 1st season of Davidson or Pertwee before getting back to Baker Season 2. But the upcoming releases are Pertwee Season 4 (season 10), Baker Season 7 (season 18) and Davidson Season 1 (season 19). Apparently, Baker Season 2 (season 13) isn’t even on the BBC’s release radar...and if the the US pre-sales on the above Season aren’t strong, there may not be a US release of the rest of the Baker/Hinchcliff era. So basically, the popular seasons are going to get held hostage to push up the sales of less popular ones. 

That's just crazy.  They should at least go to "Invasion of Time" for some continuity of a run.

There's a lot of great ones like "...Fang Rock," "Brain of Morbius," "Pyramids of Mars," "Face of Evil," not mention fun ones like "Android Invasion," "Hand of Fear" and Invisible Enemy" (I might be saying some of their names wrong.)

That's a shame, if they do this.

8 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Capaldi for the win, mate! (thumbsu 

My ever changing favourites list:

1. Capaldi

2. T. Baker

3. Davison

4. Smith

5. Pertwee

I have difficulty merging the old Doctors with the new when it comes to favourites. It's almost a completely different show these days with its huge budget and all-star cast of has-beens.

Old:

1. Davision

2. T. Baker

3. Pertwee

New:

1. Smith

2. Capaldi

3. Tennent

1 hour ago, Batman said:

I have difficulty merging the old Doctors with the new when it comes to favourites. It's almost a completely different show these days with its huge budget and all-star cast of has-beens.

Old:

1. Davision

2. T. Baker

3. Pertwee

New:

1. Smith

2. Capaldi

3. Tennent

I feel that way myself Batman. They're two different things really. Here's mine:

Old:

1. Baker

2. Davison

3. Pertwee

Baker wins on charm, Davison second as he was the doc when I really got into it. I may have imagined it, but he had hidden depths.

New:

1. Capaldi

2. Smith (almost ties for first)

3. Tennent

I know, I know. Recent order and all that. Capaldi is the Doctor.  Matt Smith nailed old man in young body. I adored him. Tennent 'upped the game' after Eccleston's 'no idea what to do here really' year. I will always love the Tennent years.

I'm sure Jodi will be great in her own way. But, despite society's attempts to tell us otherwise, men and women are different creatures. And the Doctor's a bloke. 

2 hours ago, Batman said:

Old:

1. Davision

2. T. Baker

3. Pertwee

New:

1. Smith

2. Capaldi

3. Tennent

To me it's the same show, just formatted differently for a new era (shorter). If you told me 30 years ago episodes would be as long as "The Sontaran Experiment" or "The Black Orchid," I wouldn't have not have believed it.

One of the other things is that it grew up with you too.  You could watch it when you were a kid and watch the more adult stories in the new series as a grown-up. Wish, I jumped back on the bandwagon 18 years ago.  Instead, I started collecting comics and here I am, talking about Doctor Who.

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

1. Capaldi

2. Smith (almost ties for first)

3. Tennent

I know, I know. Recent order and all that. Capaldi is the Doctor.  Matt Smith nailed old man in young body. I adored him. Tennent 'upped the game' after Eccleston's 'no idea what to do here really' year. I will always love the Tennent years. 

Yes, Tennent was definitely a good one, if not great. 

10 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Yes, Tennent was definitely a good one, if not great. 

No, he was great. Greater than great in fact. He brought the depth, energy and danger to the role that had only been hinted at prior (I liked where McCoy seemed to be heading pre cancellation). Eccleston just 'acted' the part. I liked him, but he was just acting. 

The Doctor never really developed in the original series. The charm of the lead actors carried the role. Or not. The new series brought new possibilities and started to develop the character to what we have today.

I've been more than just a fan down the years. I'm interested to see how Jodie presents herself, and conveys her past in a way that works. Matt Smith managed to convey his former,  bodily older selves, in a convincing way. Tom Baker was in there somewhere. I want to see how Jodie presents herself as the next step from Capaldi. 

:wishluck:

10 hours ago, tv horror said:

How could you not like Patrick as the Doctor, there was one episode were the aliens were going to kill him and he said "You can't kill me...I'm... I'm a genius!"<3

I'd certainly like to see more of his stories. A shame most of the recordings got erased back then.

after Eccleston's 'no idea what to do here really' year.

I, of course, was happy with his Mancunian interpretation of the character, and look forward to an equally-northern take, next series.

Edited by Ken Aldred

The Doctor never really developed in the original series. The charm of the lead actors carried the role. Or not. The new series brought new possibilities and started to develop the character to what we have today.

I think Colin Baker tried to incorporate a lot of the past Doctors into his personality, whereas most of the previous ones tried to be individual but was obstructed by a bad-fashion sense and a depleting budget.

10 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I think Colin Baker tried to incorporate a lot of the past Doctors into his personality, whereas most of the previous ones tried to be individual but was obstructed by a bad-fashion sense and a depleting budget.

He did!

Ah, poor old Colin. 

He started so brightly....

69646f79fbdaea7171be88df232c2aeb3eb5a92d_00.gif.10c459ea1e9c4616ea44b1b15778b360.gif

...and ended so badly.

7wMx.gif.23e09117211e0c6a4564f7c564f6639a.gif

But he gave us the cat brooch, so cements his place in Gallifreyan history :cloud9:

872673050_catcloseup.jpg.a3c7fb140211a7a5e169912b0a81d50b.jpg

Just now, NewEnglandGothic said:

Just saying.

Tom Baker's "Genesis of the Daleks" was the best put-together DVD of "special features" for the entire series.

Too bad "Stones of Blood" didn't get that kind of treatment. lol 

They're getting right on it ;) 

1 minute ago, Batman said:

He was an funny one. Started a bit crazy, then just went a bit odd.

Sparky wasn't all bad though...

Oh, Colin Baker. Right, sorry. 

8 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Just saying.

Tom Baker's "Genesis of the Daleks" was the best put-together DVD of "special features" for the entire series.

Too bad "Stones of Blood" didn't get that kind of treatment. lol 

But do they have the right to make those special features hm

1640930330_doctordecisions(2).gif.7657b7f7137028a6a04746cf950849ac.gif

Edited by Get Marwood & I