• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,472 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Still looking forward to catching up with the new series (11.) :) 

Indeed. But I shall miss the old chap.

There have been many great Doctors. But, and despite the writers and creators worst efforts, this one was the Doctor.

imageproxy.gif.cfcccd3500cf682b365101ed85532912.gif

14 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Still looking forward to catching up with the new series (11.) :) 

I'm interested to see how it evolves. If it's anything like series 8, I'll be "nope, don't like the new Doctor" at the start and "nah, she's ok" by the end. By the time we get to  regeneration, it'll be "that Doctor was excellent, the new one's gonna suck".

24 minutes ago, Batman said:

He was very good as The Doctor. Very. But Matt Smith was better :baiting:

Too public school upper class for me.

6 minutes ago, Batman said:

Quite probably. Stick to that Salford chap.

To paraphrase him, the ones from northern Gallifrey are the best.

I just received my U.S. release of Tom Baker Season 1 (season 12) on blu-ray from Amazon yesterday. 

I wish I could give this my whole- hearted recommendation...but I can’t. 

Here’s the GOOD:

Picture quality - considering the source material I wasn’t expecting a huge jump in quality.  I’ve only watched Robot so far and overall it looks as good as the DVD release, a few instances of it looking slightly better. No surprises there. The more recent supplemental material looks great. 

Extras - unlike Spearhead From Space, this includes all the supplemental material from the DVDs plus some that were only available on VHS or are completely new altogether.  Some might be jaded about extras being a cheap gimmick to get you to re-buy the same material over, but I’m partial to Who extras. DW is one of the few shows that when I re-watch a story I also re-watch all the extras as well. So this is a real plus for me. 

Size - the case for the blu-ray is the same size as one of the DVD cases. I was originally planning on selling my DVDs to offset what I paid for the blu-ray. So 5 DVDs can be replaced with 1 blu-ray case, a real space-saver. 

Ok, now here’s the BAD:

The UK release of this has been delayed. It seems that there’s a new extra that will be included on the UK release that’s not on the US release called Doctor Who Times (not the same as Tomorrow’s Times featurette on the Face of Evil DVD) It’s a complation of clips from different UK shows during the initial run of this season.  It may not be of huge interest to US viewers but the estimated run time for it is just shy of 44 minutes, so a substantial extra. 

What’s more, the reason the reason this extra wasn’t included in the US release is because BCC had a pre-sale quota. Because the quota wasn’t met, the feature wasn’t included. 

That’s important because it ties in with the next issue - future releases. I was kind of expecting that they might jump to the 1st season of Davidson or Pertwee before getting back to Baker Season 2. But the upcoming releases are Pertwee Season 4 (season 10), Baker Season 7 (season 18) and Davidson Season 1 (season 19). Apparently, Baker Season 2 (season 13) isn’t even on the BBC’s release radar...and if the the US pre-sales on the above Season aren’t strong, there may not be a US release of the rest of the Baker/Hinchcliff era. So basically, the popular seasons are going to get held hostage to push up the sales of less popular ones. 

Also, some are reporting an audio issue on episode 1 of the Sontaran Experiment (disc 2). I haven’t watched that one yet, won’t be able to get to it until this weekend. 

I’d love to give this my full support but at $50 per and considering the above I’m going to definitely take a wait-and-see approach. Very disappointed with BCC. Definitely won’t be getting rid of my DVDs until I get a better idea where this is going. 

Just to add a couple more things:

The episodes are presented in their original aspect ratio with the black bars on the sides, which is a BIG plus for me; I’m a stickler for that sort of thing. 

The menu is a CGI 3-D animation of the TARDIS interior, very nicely done and overall has a much cleaner look than the DVDs. 

Some are reporting that there is a noticeable bump in picture quality on Genesis of the Daleks and Ark in Space. I haven’t gotten that far yet so can’t confirm. I have the last Special Edition DVD release of Ark and that looked pretty darn good so it’s hard for me to imagine there being an improvement. We’ll see.

Overall, it really is a great set, it’s just the way BBC is choosing to release this that’s putting a damper on my enthusiasm. 

I really would like to have, at the very least, all of the Hinchcliffe stories on blu-ray. I would also like to buy the seasons that have Horror of Fang Rock and City of Death as those are two of my favorite stories. I’m probably good with my DVD copy of Image of the Fendahl, lol  

The rub is that the details of BBCs US release plans hadn’t really started trickling out until a couple of days ago. Had I known earlier, I would have done thing’s differently - probably would spent the $50 on the UK release and then invested in a region-free player as the UK will likely get all the seasons released on blu-ray eventually. 

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:23 AM, tv horror said:

I haven't TIME for this thread. :) However nobody beats the second Doctor.<3

patrick-troughton-second-doctor.jpg

Just finished "The Tenth Planet" and it's commentary.

I had no idea how difficult William Hartnell was to the cast and crew. Everybody seemed to breath a sigh a relief when Patrick came aboard.

Watching the Hartnell interview about being a pantomime, I kept thinking "What an a-hole." LOL

1 hour ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Just finished "The Tenth Planet" and it's commentary.

I had no idea how difficult William Hartnell was to the cast and crew. Everybody seemed to breath a sigh a relief when Patrick came aboard.

Watching the Hartnell interview about being a pantomime, I kept thinking "What an a-hole." LOL

Patrick Troughton was always one of my favorite doctors. 

33 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Patrick Troughton was always one of my favorite doctors. 

I was first exposed to T. Baker, then Davison, and finally (back to)  Pertwee, before Hartnell and Troughton.  So, I didn't appreciate Patrick's fun doctor as much at the time, as the bar was set pretty high (...and pretty low C. Baker and McCoy) with the first three I saw.  I think the companions played better off him, like the T. Baker/Davison years (sans Adric.)

Kind of interested in listening to "The Power of the Daleks" commentary now. I mean Anneke Wills was spilling the beans about everything, even in the documentaries.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:08 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Here is a pic. I got it on my Black Friday Christmas list.

Image result for Doctor Who: Tom Baker Complete First Season amazon

@NewEnglandGothic

That's a bit of a wait. :( 

But, I admit despite Harry being portrayed as a fool, and ho-hum "Sontaran Experiment," It'll be a pretty good watch. (thumbsu 

"Robot" being very sentimental to me because it's the first episode I ever watched of the series, then the "timeless" metaphor one "Ark in Space," the now classic "Genesis of the Daleks," and just the too-cool for a five-year-old "Revenge of the Cybermen" (loved the suits and music.

I literally thought these shows were real when I was six! lol