• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

I didn’t realise they’d picked a new Dr Who back in May, at least I’ve just read an article from back then.

Shows how interest and publicity have declined.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I've posted here before that I used to contribute artwork to the fanzine Doctor Who Bulletin which started way back in 1984. I picked up my copy of issue #1 in Forbidden Planet for, as I recall, 45p.

I sold my copy for about fifty quid about ten years ago but have always maintained an interest having been a regular contributor. Anyway, a seller listed a copy last month on eBay, which I watched, and it went for a whopping £438 quid :whatthe:

dwb1.thumb.PNG.e94a1cdeed05e642e6e1e5db1252990c.PNG

Not bad for a photocopied piece of 40 year old fan related bumf. 

Then, a second seller decides to have a go - possibly influenced by the prior sale but, likely disastrously, fails to add the word 'bulletin' to their listing. It goes for a comparatively paltry £52 (about the same as my copy ten years earlier):

Capture.thumb.PNG.fca3e68912bf676c2b62df89eabb43d7.PNG

There are two morals to this story:

1. Don't sell things ten years too early
  2. When you do, always quote the flippin title!

Here endeth the lesson.

Oh, and there's a proper Doctor on the way. 

davidtennant-doctorwho-b39023d.thumb.webp.679f784697f0de98d173a72a9f5fd9d9.webp

About time.

On 12/19/2022 at 4:34 PM, D84 said:

Fire the costume designer 

2145919231_The17thDoctor.thumb.jpg.324bcc6ceb8f630c925edf586ef4b6f0.jpg

I like it and hate it at the same time.  I like the "trench" coat t-shirt look. Unlike Jodi's, it much more in line with the modern Doctor's aesthetic. I really dislike the colors.

Edited by drotto

So, I have some friends at work who have been borrowing my classic series DVDs over the last year or so, working through everything surviving since the beginning in order.  They're currently up to Pertwee's last season.  And this week they said they're moving half way across the country in a month.  So I've been tasked with finding them one DVD from each of the 4th-7th Doctors, so they can at least see each of them once before they move away.  My question is, with one serial each for Tom Baker, Davidson, Colin Baker, and McCoy, which ones do you pick?

On 2/1/2023 at 9:04 AM, OtherEric said:

So, I have some friends at work who have been borrowing my classic series DVDs over the last year or so, working through everything surviving since the beginning in order.  They're currently up to Pertwee's last season.  And this week they said they're moving half way across the country in a month.  So I've been tasked with finding them one DVD from each of the 4th-7th Doctors, so they can at least see each of them once before they move away.  My question is, with one serial each for Tom Baker, Davidson, Colin Baker, and McCoy, which ones do you pick?

Tough to pick only one Tom Baker. 

My knee-jerk is City of Death but Tom’s era has the reputation of the “gothic” era but by the time of City the tone of the show has changed into something closer to the Davidson/Baker/McCoy eras. So to differentiate this pick from the others you might want to go with something earlier. 

During Hinchcliff’s time as producer I’d probably pick Talons of the Weng-Chiang. The rat is silly but all the performances are really solid (with the expectation of maybe Magnus).  Runner-up would be Pyramids of Mars.

I’d like to give a shout-out for the Williams produced Horror of Fang Rock. Absolutely one of my all-time favorite Who stories and would fully recommend it but I’m aware that others don’t like it nearly as much as I do. 

Sorry I can’t help with the other but I haven’t seen enough of those to give an opinion on which is best. 

Edited by Number 6

On 2/1/2023 at 5:04 PM, OtherEric said:

For Davidson I'd go for the Caves of Androzani, widely viewed as his best. I liked it, back in the day, and knew instinctively it was a 'step above the ordinary'. For McCoy, The Curse of Fenrick or Ghost Light. For Colin, I'd try any episode that doesn't end in a zoom in of his face. Wait, that's all of them...

Colin Baker Crash Zoom GIF by Doctor Who - Find & Share on GIPHY

Revelation of The Daleks or The Two Doctors.

@Number 6 is on the money for Tom.

On 2/1/2023 at 11:04 AM, OtherEric said:

Tom Baker: The Robots of Death

Peter Davison: The Caves of Androzani

Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy: Skip. They are both pretty :censored: Doctors.

On 2/1/2023 at 4:20 PM, D84 said:

Tom Baker: The Robots of Death

Peter Davison: The Caves of Androzani

Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy: Skip. They are both pretty :censored: Doctors.

I will readily admit Colin works better on the audios where you don’t need to look at his coat.

We shall simply need to agree to disagree about McCoy, though.  He’s one of my top three doctors, after Troughton and Smith.

Edited by OtherEric

To follow up:  I went with these:

Tom- City of Death.  It's not quite either my favorite or my choice for all time best.  It's very high on both lists, and I really do think it's as close to flawless as any serial in the classic series ever got.

Davidson- Caves of Androzani.  Which seems to be the consensus choice.

Colin- Vengeance on Varos.  I think it's actually some excellent television.  I'm far less certain it's actually good Doctor Who specifically, but what can you do?  And the cliffhanger is actually excellent, without a zoom on Colin.

McCoy- Remembrance of the Daleks.  I actually think Curse of Fenric and Ghost Light are probably slightly better, but I think they also both require you to know the character of Ace more going in.

Thank you all for your help.  My friends actually enjoyed City of Death so much they watched it in one night and are talking about maybe having time for a second batch. My tentative list is Genesis of the Daleks, Pyramids of Mars, The Five Doctors, The Two Doctors, Ghost Light, Curse of Fenric.  I'll only include Five & Two if they say they want to stick with one per doctor, and then I'll drop Mars and Ghost Light.

On 2/8/2023 at 2:47 AM, Max Carnage said:

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Genesis of the Daleks ?

Well, if we had been asked "List your top 10 Tom Baker stories" Genesis probably would have been mentioned a bunch.

There's a bunch of really good stories in Tom's era so if a person is asked to pick just one there's going to be quality material that doesn't get mentioned.

Heck, I'm surprised Brain of Morbius hasn't been mentioned yet.

But while Genesis and Brain are both very good, for me personally they just don't quite make the top spot.

On 2/8/2023 at 1:12 PM, Number 6 said:

Well, if we had been asked "List your top 10 Tom Baker stories" Genesis probably would have been mentioned a bunch.

There's a bunch of really good stories in Tom's era so if a person is asked to pick just one there's going to be quality material that doesn't get mentioned.

Heck, I'm surprised Brain of Morbius hasn't been mentioned yet.

But while Genesis and Brain are both very good, for me personally they just don't quite make the top spot.

Good enough that I'm swapping Brain in instead of Pyramids on my second list...

On 2/9/2023 at 8:40 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

No one's mentioned that Eldrad must live yet :boo:

Ridiculous, made-up name.