• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2023 at 6:26 PM, OtherEric said:

And looking around I came across this:

We like Bill.

I find that the things that blow you away in life are the things where the magic dust settles on every element, and everyone plays their part to perfection. Everyone delivers at the top of their game. Flair crashes into talent and falls over exceptionality. The new Who may indeed turn out to be 'brilliant', to quote the spectacularly uninspiring and happily missed Whitterer's opening line, but the new theme is a dog. Not the type that follows you around in the park mind, but the type that gives you rabies and craps on your lawn.

Well, I remain optimistic about the new series.  One of the great truths about Doctor Who is it will sometimes amaze you beyond all hope.  And it will sometimes present garbage that you can't believe made it out into the world.  And it's very possible for both of those things to be in the same episode, and sometimes the very same thing within the episode.

I'm trying to remember who described "The Two Doctors" as "It's Robert Holmes finest hour.  Unfortunately, it runs two hours."

I may not care for the new theme but I'm not as bothered by it as others seem to be.

On 10/20/2023 at 6:46 PM, OtherEric said:

I may not care for the new theme but I'm not as bothered by it as others seem to be

Well that's me told, isn't it.

On 10/20/2023 at 7:05 PM, OtherEric said:

It really wasn’t meant to be, and I apologize if it came across as such.

Forget it, I was being childish. It's always important to recognise when you're being childish.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:03 PM, OtherEric said:

What’s the point of growing up if you can’t still be childish sometimes?

tom-baker-smiling.gif.bf29d9b592b9dd6e4088811570493f2e.gif

On 11/23/2023 at 11:00 AM, OtherEric said:

Sixty years ago to the day:

I been watching the first Doctor Who on Pluto Tv app and I am really enjoying it. It has aged well. This is my first time with the first Doctor and it tackles issues that still seem relevant today. 

I tried watching "The Star Beast" yesterday, but turned it off after 10 minutes. It's not that it was bad, but I just couldn't bring myself to care. They lost me during the horrendous writing in Capaldi's run and with them completely retconning the origin during Whittaker's Doctor, the show is dead to me.

I never thought there'd be a time in my life where new Doctor Who wouldn't get me excited.

On 11/27/2023 at 2:40 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

DrWhoIgiveup.gif.9d6d9a2e22dc27a5a3aabb17a6d88902.gif

Don't get me wrong, I liked him as the Doctor, but the stories were awful and Clara got more annoying as the episodes went on.

On 11/26/2023 at 8:02 AM, D84 said:

I tried watching "The Star Beast" yesterday, but turned it off after 10 minutes. It's not that it was bad, but I just couldn't bring myself to care. They lost me during the horrendous writing in Capaldi's run and with them completely retconning the origin during Whittaker's Doctor, the show is dead to me.

I never thought there'd be a time in my life where new Doctor Who wouldn't get me excited.

I hate to say it but I completely agree.  I tried to watch the new special last night and I got about 10 minutes in and had to change it to something else.  I was so excited to watch some new Dr Who but it just was so boring and just not what I expect from one of my favorite shows.  I never got around to finishing the last season and with this absolute turd muffin I just feel like the entire franchise is coming to a close.

In today.  I think this gives me the entire collection of mass market Doctor Who items produced for the US market in the 1960's... the Dell comic, the Avon novel, and the Famous Monsters with the article on the movie.  I presume there were movie posters and the like also produced, but I'm not aware of anything else intended for general availability:

Famous Monsters 44.jpg

OK, listen. I've watched all three specials now. Read that word specials in inverted commas. Like other members of the solitary group discerning I was, of course, hoping for a return to something resembling form after the lost years of Chibnall. Alas, whilst there has been some good moments, it hasn't worked for me at all. Possibly because it is not aimed at me, Who knows. There is an absence of intelligence, respect and continuity that leaves me isolated. I'm not going to go into detail you'll be pleased to hear, as I have done in the past, picking it apart, or post at length about how long I've followed the show, to what degree, and why it has been so important. I'll just say this: I saw the best, and the best was Peter Capaldi, speaking the words of Steven Moffat. Heaven Sent, they were.

Anyway, I don't like goodbyes either, so... see you on the other side.

6b6c0f2439f916fa2b30d58a91acd41183f75441_hq.gif.dabe524c40c35613c31e158bb201da78.gif

On 12/9/2023 at 9:36 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

OK, listen. I've watched all three specials now. Read that word specials in inverted commas. Like other members of the solitary group discerning I was, of course, hoping for a return to something resembling form after the lost years of Chibnall. Alas, whilst there has been some good moments, it hasn't worked for me at all. Possibly because it is not aimed at me, Who knows. There is an absence of intelligence, respect and continuity that leaves me isolated. I'm not going to go into detail you'll be pleased to hear, as I have done in the past, picking it apart, or post at length about how long I've followed the show, to what degree, and why it has been so important. I'll just say this: I saw the best, and the best was Peter Capaldi, speaking the words of Steven Moffat. Heaven Sent, they were.

Anyway, I don't like goodbyes either, so... see you on the other side.

6b6c0f2439f916fa2b30d58a91acd41183f75441_hq.gif.dabe524c40c35613c31e158bb201da78.gif

First of all how are you keeping Steve, it's nice to see you still posting.:foryou: I also watched all three specials and while it was nice seeing David Catherine  and Bernard I have to agree with you it lacked any charm. I was reminded of the Spider-man Clone saga and the Peter and Ben parting. Peter you can go live your life and take MJ with you,  as you deserve a rest and I'll handle what comes next. Seriously I've lived my own life NEVER caring or even thinking about "waken" but these specials were a tale to far. Can you imagine little Jimmy handing in his homework claiming that Newton was of the Asian race.