• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2023 at 11:28 PM, tv horror said:

First of all how are you keeping Steve, it's nice to see you still posting.:foryou: I also watched all three specials and while it was nice seeing David Catherine  and Bernard I have to agree with you it lacked any charm. I was reminded of the Spider-man Clone saga and the Peter and Ben parting. Peter you can go live your life and take MJ with you,  as you deserve a rest and I'll handle what comes next. Seriously I've lived my own life NEVER caring or even thinking about "waken" but these specials were a tale to far. Can you imagine little Jimmy handing in his homework claiming that Newton was of the Asian race.

And always nice to see a rare but welcome post from you too, Maurice :)

Yes, it was all a bit much wasn't it. It was a shame that Bernard's final character contribution was the offscreen attempted murder of force field protected moles but this is what happens when you place the crown jewels in the hands of those with a self-serving, playful disregard for history. As good as the on screen character was - or certainly could have been, if better developed - it appears the real puppet master was actually behind the camera.

On 12/11/2023 at 9:02 PM, tv horror said:

Are you sure it was MOLES he was hunting?  Or could it have been "WOMBLES"!:nyah:

FYv9JTqXoAArVdk.jpg

:bigsmile: They're not that far off moles actually, Wombles...

I just wanted to drop by to say one thing. 

There is only ONE doctor. 

NUMBER FOUR! :sumo:

doc.JPG

On 12/13/2023 at 8:34 PM, newshane said:

I just wanted to drop by to say one thing. 

There is only ONE doctor. 

NUMBER FOUR! :sumo:

doc.JPG

I like that he beholds the others with mild contempt. 

I also like that the other proper Doctor steadfastly avoids returning lest the memory of his tenure be tarnished by associating with the seemingly relentless box of horrors that the show became from the precise moment he left.

On 12/13/2023 at 9:20 PM, OtherEric said:

Everyone has their own favorite Doctor and everyone’s choice is valid.

With that said, Troughton was the best:

image.jpeg.eeab0c3185cb490a852037b35229ba1b.jpeg

The little priest, is he dead yet?

On 12/13/2023 at 3:20 PM, OtherEric said:

Everyone has their own favorite Doctor and everyone’s choice is valid.

With that said, Troughton was the best:

My personal favorite was the fifth doctor as portrayed by Peter Davison. That was my introduction to the Doctor on television as my local PBS station played them on Saturday nights (immediately after Are You Being Served). I will always hold a special warm teenage feeling for Janet Fielding from that season as well. 

image.png.8c05fc7e630e0833a826b0ead068ebbd.png

Edited by RedRaven

My three favorites are:

1. Tom Baker 

2. Davison

3. Tennant 

I grew up as a kid with Baker and Davidson, so I am partial. Tennant was just excellent. 

I haven't watched anything after Tennant, but I can say that I've never seen a bad doctor, even Colin Baker. 

But Tom Baker will always be heads above the rest in my eyes. For me...he IS Doctor Who. 

Sorry to divert the conversation, but I'm just now stumbling across this thread. 

Genesis of the Daleks is probably my favorite episode, but Earthshock is right up there! I love Davison, too! 

Edited by newshane

On 12/13/2023 at 11:25 PM, RedRaven said:

My personal favorite was the fifth doctor as portrayed by Peter Davison. That was my introduction to the Doctor on television as my local PBS station played them on Saturday nights (immediately after Are You Being Served).

I'd watched it for years prior, but that was when I really started paying attention.

OriginalArt-DWB7b.thumb.jpg.3b3ee13131dbd54a9d2dcf7841aafdc2.jpg

Some of the Davison episodes haven't held up that well, but there's something magical about it all still. I've quite enjoyed posting in this thread over the years but the participation has always been on the low side so it's nice to see some new faces.

And a nice reference to AYBS there by the way, Red. I won't repeat my Mrs Slocombe joke, as I got a strike the last time I did. At least that got someone's attention aybs-mrs.gif.97308a0e3c3d1688423643193993b28a.gif

On 12/13/2023 at 11:25 PM, RedRaven said:

I will always hold a special warm teenage feeling for Janet Fielding from that season as well. 

Yes. It's probably illegal to say it out loud nowadays, but it certainly added to the magic...

On 7/9/2022 at 6:03 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I'll never forget the day Nyssa threw off the red velvet choker though, and went all sultry maiden on my 18 year old brain

nyssa_9366.webp.702465444622b7209de1ccfc90eae125.webp

Fwwoooooaaarrr. 

On 12/14/2023 at 9:44 AM, 1Cool said:

Ok Boomer.gif

Oddly enough, Troughton's run was over before I was born... I just fell in love with his version of the doctor when I saw old episodes finally.

Based on the limited evidence on my original post, I can't call that an unfair assumption, though.

Baker is Doctor Who in my mind  and he always will be.  I grew up watching it on PBS and waiting with baited breath for the next week's episode.  Tennant would have to be 2nd and Smith would have to be 3rd but he is way behind #1 & #2.

On 12/13/2023 at 11:35 PM, newshane said:

But Tom Baker will always be heads above the rest in my eyes. For me...he IS Doctor Who.

I suspect that most people of a certain age would agree with you. I find it hard to compare the new with the old in a way, as the show is very different now to what it was. Tom Baker is the Doctor, yes, but so is Peter Capaldi, for me. They occupy equal status in my mind, but in their different eras, if that makes sense. 

There will always be good and great Doctor Who, I suspect. The last three specials each had some really good moments and, though they were a sea change in quality from the Chibnall era, I found them oddly superficial. Tennant was too human, quaking where Capaldi would've just shrugged, solved and ate chips. The bigeneration thing doesn't work for me at all, but I've always disliked big grand, modern attempts at rewriting the basics. The idea that there are now two current Doctors, each with separate - from the point of splitting - lives, experiences and memories, is a dilution that I do not like. That's very different to 15 Doctors flying around in their respective time streams, each with only their knowledge of their own and predecessors experiences. I suppose I'm a bit old fashioned in that respect though. I like there to be one Spider-Man, not a thousand spread across multiple universes.

I'm not a fan of RTDs fondness for ridiculous silliness being used to overcome a plot issue. Need a TARDIS for each Doctor? Just hit it with a big hammer. Maybe that would have worked back when I was ten. I do think, in a way, RTD is making the show for families now. Much has been written about his focus on diversity and, whilst I'm all for it in many ways, I do think he's laid it on with a trowel this time. I suspect he's revelling in it to a degree. I'd prefer he revelled a little more in the storytelling myself. 

Overall, I much prefer an older actor to play the Doctor as they carry a sense of gravity. Or mavity, I should say. And I like the series to be cleverly written. He didn't always get it right, but Moffat had an intelligence in his writing that I miss. His humour, too, was more intelligent than slap stick. 

Anyway, I said I wasn't going to bang on but here I am starting to bang. I know what I'd like to see, but I know that I'm unlikely to see it again now. That's OK. I got to see it while it was the best it could be (for me). That'll do. 

On 12/14/2023 at 5:12 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I'd watched it for years prior, but that was when I really started paying attention.

OriginalArt-DWB7b.thumb.jpg.3b3ee13131dbd54a9d2dcf7841aafdc2.jpg

Some of the Davison episodes haven't held up that well, but there's something magical about it all still. I've quite enjoyed posting in this thread over the years but the participation has always been on the low side so it's nice to see some new faces.

And a nice reference to AYBS there by the way, Red. I won't repeat my Mrs Slocombe joke, as I got a strike the last time I did. At least that got someone's attention aybs-mrs.gif.97308a0e3c3d1688423643193993b28a.gif

Yes. It's probably illegal to say it out loud nowadays, but it certainly added to the magic...

I still have one of your Doctor Who pages on my wall of art behind my work desk at home from when you gave it to me in the Giving Tree thread.  I'll have to take a scan of it so others can see all the details you put into the various characters that made up the Doctor Who universe.

On 12/14/2023 at 6:38 PM, 1Cool said:

I still have one of your Doctor Who pages on my wall of art behind my work desk at home from when you gave it to me in the Giving Tree thread.  I'll have to take a scan of it so others can see all the details you put into the various characters that made up the Doctor Who universe.

Blimey, I'd forgotten that. A few of them escaped. Looking forward to being reminded which it was :)

I wasn't into Doctor Who as a kid. It wasn't the Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers scfi I liked. I remember seeing the Baker shows on PBS, but just skipped by them, as it didn't interest me.

Then, 2005, and Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor on SciFi Channel. I decided, for whatever reason, to DVR them. I didn't really watch them, just kept recording them. Then, Spring that year, my allergies were KILLING me. I'd wake up every night, can't breathe, get up, wash my face, and take an allergy pill. While waiting for it to kick in, I started watching them. Loved it.

Kept watching till the middle of Capaldi. The writing got so atrocious, I couldn't anymore. Haven't watched it since, probably won't. 

But I still have great memories, and can watch the 9th through 11th Doctors any time I want, so there's that.

My whole family was into it during that time. So much so, I built a TARDIS in the backyard. Gone now(damn Mother Nature!) but used it as storage for the pool stuff during the winter for many years.

Oh, and David Tenant is may favorite.

20151015_151958_IMG_1816.JPG

20151029_174628_IMG_1846.JPG

20151030_100931_IMG_1852.JPG

20151121_124920_IMG_1879.JPG

20151122_163222_IMG_1896.JPG

20151122_164444_IMG_1897.JPG