• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

...I did finally meet him briefly at a convention a few years ago (so I've met docs 5-7). He did a panel for about an hour which was fun and he was quite talkative, but one-on-one he definitely didn't have much to say. I just took my autograph and moved along after failing at some small talk. There wasn't even a line at his table, so I could've badgered him for a good 15-20 minutes, but he seemed like he just wanted to go back in his shell so I let him be :tonofbricks:

I'm glad it's not just me that happens to :)

Ah the British, you just need to understand them. Most of the British actors care more about stage work than television or movies. So to a British Actor, like Peter Davison, if all you are going to bring up to him to sign is Doctor Who and All Creatures Great and Small then in his mind all you know him for are those characters when he wants to be recognized for more.

Ummm... He had a decent guest role in Magnum PI. hm

(:

McCoy wasn't for me. But, I don't judge because I'm quite the Capaldi fan of recent. Jenna Coleman was the perfect companion for him. I'm interested to see how it all pans out now.

Jenna Coleman was the perfect companion :cloud9:

That's what I keep telling her in my dreams.

:luhv:

And - while I knew Davison was a big name, I had no idea of the drug problems. I need to do some Googling now!

Aw jeez, not Davison. I can't even google it. It seems this era of pulling back the curtain and exposing celebs "real" lives is hell-bent on destroying everyone I idolized as a kid.

I did google this and the only thing that I could find was Pete Davidson from SNL who has had a drug problem. This came up when I searched "Peter Davison drug addiction" so maybe that's what you saw? I never heard anything about this until now, so I'm hoping that's the case.

Nope we were talking about this in the late 90's as the next Doctor to go and this came up as common knowledge from our connected friends in England.

Interesting, guess I'l have to dig deeper to see what I can find.

...I did finally meet him briefly at a convention a few years ago (so I've met docs 5-7). He did a panel for about an hour which was fun and he was quite talkative, but one-on-one he definitely didn't have much to say. I just took my autograph and moved along after failing at some small talk. There wasn't even a line at his table, so I could've badgered him for a good 15-20 minutes, but he seemed like he just wanted to go back in his shell so I let him be :tonofbricks:

I'm glad it's not just me that happens to :)

Ah the British, you just need to understand them. Most of the British actors care more about stage work than television or movies. So to a British Actor, like Peter Davison, if all you are going to bring up to him to sign is Doctor Who and All Creatures Great and Small then in his mind all you know him for are those characters when he wants to be recognized for more.

So you need to bring something up to sign he is usually not recognized for that might be unusual for him to sign along with your Doctor Who item. For instance, Paul McGann stopped his line when I brought up the Paper Mask movie poster to sign. It was just the odd item he is not used to signing and he started talking about other films he did and made some suggestions to others I may like in Britain that he was not apart of. Jeremy Bulloch stopped his line when I brought the DVD cover up for the Doctor Who: Space Museum release. He didn't realize he was on the cover and it was for a role most people did not realize he did. Bulloch called his wife over to look at it and thanked for me for bringing something other than Boba Fett to sign then he went into detail on his role in the episode and Time Warrior and how great the first Sontaron was.

I have found this technique to work well with British actors

I am British lol But thanks for the sound advice. I'll bear that in mind next time I go to a con :) It would've been helpful the time I met Chris Barrie!

McCoy wasn't for me. But, I don't judge because I'm quite the Capaldi fan of recent. Jenna Coleman was the perfect companion for him. I'm interested to see how it all pans out now.

09-Dec-main-picDR_2420641a.jpg

09-Dec-main-picDR_2420641a.jpg

:D

What a woman!

I remember the Sylvester McCoy run at the time as being pretty bad. Saw some episodes again last year, for the first time since their original broadcasts, and they were even worse.

Just terrible.

wpid-dr-who-remembrance-daleks-aldred-mccoy.jpg

Sylvester McCoy last two seasons are fantastic. The Happiness Patrol, Survival, Battlefield, Curse of Fenric, and Remembrance of the Daleks. His last season is one of the three best seasons of Doctor Who. Ace is by far a top 5 companion and one of the three most influential ones on how modern companions purpose and growth.

McCoy is a top 3 doctor from the original series. Just because the show was taken off the air while he was the Doctor does not make him the worst. The Show went off the air on a high and was canceled because of Two reasons on big guy at the BBC hated the show and finally got into position and Star Trek the Next Generation came around making the effects of this show look terrible and not able to compete

I remember the Sylvester McCoy run at the time as being pretty bad. Saw some episodes again last year, for the first time since their original broadcasts, and they were even worse.

Just terrible.

I think I liked The Happiness Patrol the best out of the whole run. It's the only one I remember as it was the last Who episode I watched on PBS in '91. But, I didn't love it mind you. lol

It just had the old style Who storytelling. I was surprised to see it going for a pretty penny on DVD on eBay.

Sylvester-McCoy-as-Doctor-Who.jpg
That sweater vest.

:facepalm:

I remember how irritated I was with question marks on the collars of later Baker episodes.

I know McCoy couldn't have been to happy with it either.

I would've reserved the facepalm for Bonnie Langford lol

Sylvester-McCoy-as-Doctor-Who.jpg
That sweater vest.

:facepalm:

I remember how irritated I was with question marks on the collars of later Baker episodes.

I know McCoy couldn't have been to happy with it either.

I would've reserved the facepalm for Bonnie Langford lol

lol

I just felt they were too exaggerating the show at that point, from the actors to the story.

They should have been grounding it more in somewhat reality if they didn't the resources or money (see Jon Pertwee.)

I'm really trying not to make fun of McCoy to his fans either, but instead of a regeneration, we got a degeneration of everything across the board right down to the charm of the series.

Let's be honest, there was always some kind of magic going on with the five previous Doctors (especially Troughton through Davison) that made us forget about the poor production values.

Just terrible.

I think I liked The Happiness Patrol the best out of the whole run. It's the only one I remember as it was the last Who episode I watched on PBS in '91. But, I didn't love it mind you. lol

It just had the old style Who storytelling. I was surprised to see it going for a pretty penny on DVD on eBay.

Yeah the ones that are out of print releases in the United States are going for some nice change. The truth is you are better off buying the United Kingdom release which is PAL and having a region free Blu Ray player or region free 4KUHD player upconvert the PAL signal which has more lines than NTSC to 2K or in my case 4K.

By the way buying the releases from the UK was also cost saving

So all this talk about Doctor Who from fans and I am not seeing any collectibles posted.

So what are your favorite three Doctor Who collectibles? Post pictures please

IMG_0050_zpstojbwznk.jpg

This is the original theatrical poster for Britain's release of Daleks Invasion of Earth 2150 AD. In the desired British Quad size 30" x 40". This poster is extremely hard to come by. The poster took me five years to find one. My friends knew the head of the official Peter Cushing fan club was downsizing his Peter Cushing collection and put me in touch with him. According to the owner Peter Cushing gave this poster to him directly.

As you can see I had the poster linen-backed, which was to remove the fold lines and sit flat, then the lines color touched by a profession poster restorer and framed. Restoration is not frowned up in the poster collecting world and what I had done was minimum restoration. In total I invested about $4,000 into this one.

IMG_0052_zpsrkq7n3me.jpg

This is the original theatrical poster for Britain's release of Dr. Who & The Daleks, this poster is a 3 Sheet and measures 40" x 81". This poster is harder to come by than the traditional British Quad and most likely would have been seen in places like the London Underground. This poster was in bad shape compared to the Dalek Invasion suffered from Acid Burn in a lot of areas. I sent that one off to get the acid burn removed, cleaned linen-back, fold lines removed/touched up, and framed. In total 3600 is invested in this poster. I have had friends offer their Doctor Who pinball machine for it.

IMG_0053_zpsaza3pymm.jpg

Ah this last item was convention exclusive for a convention that took place in 1984. Everyone listed on that sheet signed except for Mary Tamm who did not come to the show. Signed by 4 different doctors and a lot of deceased people. I knew about this collectible for years just couldn't find one at the right price. I stumbled upon it on my normal ebay search one day in luck for $200 last year. I clicked the Buy It Now button since Troughton's and Pertwee's signature alone goes for $200. I just have to get my framer to measure this one and make a frame. Around $70 will be the cost

Edited by Goldeneye