• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

Matt Smith is the worst doctor of the modern era.
I respect your opinion (YAH! No Capaldi hate,) but I felt Smith's personality fit perfectly in the tone of his stint.

Outside of the 5th series the rest of his era is exception of 50th Anniversary episode with bad series endings, Monty Python two parters, and worst send off ever. Capaldi is dark, brilliant, and fresh of breath air from Smith. Only issue with Capaldi era was the dumb odd couple opening with Pink and Coleman

All the Doctors of the modern era were great in their own way (except Ecclestone who was just ok). Whoever thought up the whole "regeneration" thing was a genius.

Ah Gerry Davis came up with it, he was the cocreator of the Cybermen. The whole thing was done because Hartnell was getting too sick to continue doing the role and they needed to replace him as the first doctor. So Davis thought up since the Doctor was an alien that he could die and regenerate whenever necessary

I can't believe how they shoehorned a "War Doctor" in the Modern series and how much it worked.

John Hurt is my Mother's favourite Doctor lol (She's watched almost every episode since it was first broadcast). She was hoping he'd get a spin-off...

That would be awesome if he did get a spinoff or at least one more episode.

Anybody seen the Who spin-off, 'Class'?

I just noticed that they were showing it late on the BBC tonight.

I'd missed the start so I'm listening to some Bowie on the radio.

Bowie would have made a great Doctor.

I just watched the end of Ep1. Interesting...

Looks like Class is where they put the more "adult entertainment" that Dr Who can't show. Hey... hang on... didn't we used to have a show like that...? hm

Yes he would!

Thanks for the heads up. I've just switched over. It doesn't look like it's repeated and my internet connection is to poor for I-player.

Might be able to get it through Catch-Up TV?

Looks like Class is where they put the more "adult entertainment" that Dr Who can't show. Hey... hang on... didn't we used to have a show like that...? hm

Ah Torchwood - some of it was really good but I didn't really like the last one where people couldn't die. It was too 'Americanized' :shy:

Children of Earth was far superior.

Ah Torchwood - some of it was really good but I didn't really like the last one where people couldn't die. It was too 'Americanized' :shy:

I'm in the middle of Children of Earth right now, for my 4th or 5th time. It is my favorite Torchwood story by far. :cloud9:

Man I left town for 5 days and missed a ton of good stuff. Agreed - this thread is amazing.

Random thoughts:

(1) Love Jenna Coleman. Clara was just ok in my books - but love Jenna lol

(2) Martha Jones ruled. I think the writers/producers/somebody was too in love with Rose bc poor Martha had a lot of "she's not Rose" vibe to her series.

(3) Loved Donna Noble. I'm actually ok with the Doctor "falling in love" with the companion like he did with Rose but Donna was so great bc she was just like his drinking buddy. And her ending was so sad - more so than any of the other current companions.

(4) McCoy - Curse of Fenric is an all-time classic to me.

Probably missed a few other things in my 6 pages of catch up! (BTW - those posters are awesome!)

^ Not a fan that Dr Who became Dr Soap. But I watch the new series on its own (frenetic) merits.

Like you said in #2, Martha was too mopey about Doctor being stuck on Rose.

And like you said in #3, Donna was great (although in part it might have been that I was relieved about a companion not in love/wanting to "dance" with doc for a change).

#4 Curse of Fenric was probably McCoy's best imo, too.

Great memorabilia in this thread the past few days !

Yes he would!

Thanks for the heads up. I've just switched over. It doesn't look like it's repeated and my internet connection is to poor for I-player.

Might be able to get it through Catch-Up TV?

Thanks! I'll have a look into that. Our setup is so old, the Skybox isn't connected to the phone line.

Torchwood had its ups and downs IMO. There was nothing unwatchable, it's just some episodes/runs were a lot better than others.

I need to jump on the Torchwood bandwagon sometime.

I think you'd like it (thumbs u

All this talk about great McCoy episodes really has my curiosity piqued. I don't recall them being that good but I'll rewatch with an open mind.

I watched the second half of Class Ep1 and all of Ep2 last night. I can't say I was impressed. It just seemed a little naff. The stories were fairly basic, the acting was sub-Dr Who and the producers have obviously gone for a Sci-Fi channel over-the-top gore approach. I'll carry on watching it though... I'm waiting for Mickey to make a guest appearance ;)

All this talk about great McCoy episodes really has my curiosity piqued. I don't recall them being that good but I'll rewatch with an open mind.

I watched the second half of Class Ep1 and all of Ep2 last night. I can't say I was impressed. It just seemed a little naff. The stories were fairly basic, the acting was sub-Dr Who and the producers have obviously gone for a Sci-Fi channel over-the-top gore approach. I'll carry on watching it though... I'm waiting for Mickey to make a guest appearance ;)

The Master turning into a cat was one of the lowest points of the entire series. Enjoy that. :devil:

The Master turning into a cat was one of the lowest points of the entire series. Enjoy that. :devil:

doctor-who-survival-master-yellow-eyes-fangs-cheetah-review-last-episode.jpg

I've been hoping for a new story where the Doctor goes back in time to an earlier point in the Cybermen development. How cool would it be to see some of the 1970s Cybermen designs again. :cloud9:

True - much better than the modern designs.