• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

My favorite story from the original series has to be "The Caves of Androzani" with Peter Davison.
That's probably my favorite Davison story.

Mawdryn Undead and Kinda rounding out the top three.

Like Kinda, Black Orchid had a heightened dream-like quality the production seemed to be going in (see Enlightenment.) Nyssa prancing around in her undies in Terminus was character farewell highpoint, as well as one's most satisfying departure in Earthshock. :devil:

I love Mawdryn Undead. One of the more complex plot lines (seems like there were a number of really "cerebral" stories around this time like Warriors' Gate, which still baffles me, and Castrovalva, another fave) and I enjoy that whole Turlough/Black Guardian cycle. Black Orchid was a nice, rare shot at a historical piece, which they'd pretty much abandoned at that point. Kinda, though, eek. Not a fan

Funny thing about Earthshock, I believe it was a mishap, but my PBS station bled over the audio to some opera at the end of the episode, so that, as the spaceship is hurtling toward Earth, you start hearing some totally out-of-place opera dialogue over the scene. It actually made it seem even more poetic. I think I taped over it the next time my station ran the Davison era and I realized the ending was actually supposed to be silent through the credits. I actually preferred the first way I saw it, even though it was definitely more "good riddance" than tears.

My favorite story from the original series has to be "The Caves of Androzani" with Peter Davison.
That's probably my favorite Davison story.

Mawdryn Undead and Kinda rounding out the top three.

Like Kinda, Black Orchid had a heightened dream-like quality the production seemed to be going in (see Enlightenment.) Nyssa prancing around in her undies in Terminus was character farewell highpoint, as well as one's most satisfying departure in Earthshock. :devil:

I love Mawdryn Undead. One of the more complex plot lines (seems like there were a number of really "cerebral" stories around this time like Warriors' Gate, which still baffles me, and Castrovalva, another fave) and I enjoy that whole Turlough/Black Guardian cycle. Black Orchid was a nice, rare shot at a historical piece, which they'd pretty much abandoned at that point. Kinda, though, eek. Not a fan

Funny thing about Earthshock, I believe it was a mishap, but my PBS station bled over the audio to some opera at the end of the episode, so that, as the spaceship is hurtling toward Earth, you start hearing some totally out-of-place opera dialogue over the scene. It actually made it seem even more poetic. I think I taped over it the next time my station ran the Davison era and I realized the ending was actually supposed to be silent through the credits. I actually preferred the first way I saw it, even though it was definitely more "good riddance" than tears.

Interesting that you mention this. There was a YouTube video I watched a few months ago that had something about a pirate broadcast during a Tom Baker episode where someone hijacked a PBS signal and ran something during it. Will try to find it and post the link.

Pertwee - Inferno is amazing. I also really like "The Time Warrior".and even though it's less famous, I've always liked "Carnival of Monsters". It's true - there's a lot of good Pertwee.

Amazing. Davison had a slew of either really good or really not good serials. "Caves of Androzani" still holds up as an all-timer. (And all these years later, I am still in love with Nicola Bryant...nowhere near a great companion, but man, 12-year old me loved her...wonder why...lol)

Interesting that you mention this. There was a YouTube video I watched a few months ago that had something about a pirate broadcast during a Tom Baker episode where someone hijacked a PBS signal and ran something during it. Will try to find it and post the link.

Tom Baker episode set in a lighthouse, hijacked by some guy in a Max Headroom mask.

Amazing. Davison had a slew of either really good or really not good serials. "Caves of Androzani" still holds up as an all-timer. (And all these years later, I am still in love with Nicola Bryant...nowhere near a great companion, but man, 12-year old me loved her...wonder why...lol)

It was really funny listening to the DVD commentary for this story during the regeneration scene. Peter Davison talked about how he was acting his heart out in the scene, all for naught because Nicola Bryant was leaning over in a low-cut top upstaging him.

Tom Baker episode set in a lighthouse, hijacked by some guy in a Max Headroom mask.

Yes, that's it. Here's an interesting video I found about it that I didn't see before:

The Horror of Fang Rock was interrupted on their PBS station. I was watching WGN that day and it got interrupted as well all I said was what The and everything went back to normal. PBS'S hijack was much more successful

Pertwee - Inferno is amazing. I also really like "The Time Warrior".and even though it's less famous, I've always liked "Carnival of Monsters". It's true - there's a lot of good Pertwee.

The Sea Devils, The Daemons, Ambassadors of Death, Frontier in Space, The Silurians and, of course, Spearhead from Space with the Autons crashing through the department store windows. So much great stuff in the Pertwee era.

My PBS station never showed Hartnell or Troughton episodes, they just started back over at Pertwee after they'd run through a cycle, but there was a station up in North Carolina which one of my friends in school was occasionally able to pick up with his antenna that showed those episodes from the 60's. He had The Time Meddler and The Mind Robber on tape with the most wretched quality, but that was like black & white gold to us to be able to see those super-old stories that I'd only read about in books.

Tried to watch the new series starting with Christopher Eccleston, but didn't really get into it. Might give it another try at some point.

I'd recommend starting with Season 2 and David Tennant. It's more likely to hold your interest.

Having said that, the two parter "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances" from Season 1 are superb.

Kinda, though, eek. Not a fan.

I just had a look online for a pic of that awful snake puppet they used. Turns out the 2011 DVD release has a new CGI snake...

snakecompare.jpg

Aw man, snake-puppet was boss. Did they muck around with Snakedance, too? I quite like that one, but haven't grabbed it on DVD yet.

I just had a look online for a pic of that awful snake puppet they used. Turns out the 2011 DVD release has a new CGI snake...

snakecompare.jpg

Aw man, snake-puppet was boss. Did they muck around with Snakedance, too? I quite like that one, but haven't grabbed it on DVD yet.

The CGI effects inserted in are a special feature you can watch the show with or without the changes

snakecompare.jpg

The CGI effects inserted in are a special feature you can watch the show with or without the changes

Normally I'm against, new effects on an older show, but I like the option to have a choice, especially when some effects haven't aged so well, ummm... Enlightenment or The Invisible Enemy for example.

Tried to watch the new series starting with Christopher Eccleston, but didn't really get into it. Might give it another try at some point.

I'd recommend starting with Season 2 and David Tennant. It's more likely to hold your interest.

Having said that, the two parter "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances" from Season 1 are superb.

I concur that "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances" were great episodes.

"Mummie? Is that you? Mummmmmie?"

:fear:

7. Peter Davison - what can I say I hate the crowded Tardis. Arc of Infinity best episode

Was Chameleon too much? He was wasn't he? :sorry:

lol

Kamillion was a missed opportunity. I would have just had him transform at the beginning of each episode to a new person in time period clothing to fit in

As far as Davison I am just not a fan of his companions and how many he had at one time it was just too much. The basis to suspend the show the first time was not because of Colin Baker but because of the Warriors of the Deep episode and the Mirka. Let alone Davison just could not act he was monotone all the time

Let alone Davison just could not act he was monotone all the time

I never really thought about it before, but his range was quite limited. His version of The Doctor wasn't much different to his vet, Tristan Farnon.

7. Peter Davison - what can I say I hate the crowded Tardis. Arc of Infinity best episode

Was Chameleon too much? He was wasn't he? :sorry:

lol

Peter Davison was the best! "Action Hero" Dr Who ;) But yes, the Tardis was too crowded. They could've lost Adric much earlier, Kamelion was not a good idea and Tegan stayed around for too long. Should've brought Peri in sooner.

Kamillion was a missed opportunity. I would have just had him transform at the beginning of each episode to a new person in time period clothing to fit in.

That would've been a good idea.

As far as Davison I am just not a fan of his companions and how many he had at one time it was just too much. The basis to suspend the show the first time was not because of Colin Baker but because of the Warriors of the Deep episode and the Mirka. Let alone Davison just could not act he was monotone all the time

See post above ;)

I thought McCoy's overall delivery ended up at the bottom of the pile and Colin Baker - whilst trying - came over as a bit hammy. Eccleston came over as a bit wooden.