• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

[Anyone that can dish it out to the Doctor and go one on one with him and annoy him is okay in my book. Personally we just need Ace back
I understand what you are saying, but it hinders the flow of the narrative and annoys the audience too. I found Ace very annoying, not Adric annoying, but pretty well up there with Harry (from the Tom Baker reign.)

Ace is the modern companion prototype. The companion has issues that must be faced and grows each story until eventually the companion comes full circle from growth and ready to go on their own no other companion did this in the original Who with exception of a distant second Turlough. That is why the last two seasons of McCoy are is special Ace's story needs to be finished.

I would throw Leela at you, but she was a savage right to the end wasn't she. lol

I never bought that abrupt stay at Galifrey, even as a six year old (Louise wanted to leave for a play.)

I think Turlough was the only companion, that had a great character arc from the old series and the rest were there as window dressing or eye candy (Nicola Bryant.)

Matt Smith is the worst doctor of the modern era.
I respect your opinion (YAH! No Capaldi hate,) but I felt Smith's personality fit perfectly in the tone of his stint.

Outside of the 5th series the rest of his era is exception of 50th Anniversary episode with bad series endings, Monty Python two parters, and worst send off ever. Capaldi is dark, brilliant, and fresh of breath air from Smith. Only issue with Capaldi era was the dumb odd couple opening with Pink and Coleman

Not a fan of the Matt Smith era.

Amy was fine. Why did they need to introduce Rory. I'm not really interested in going over the episodes of that era again.

Love Capaldi! I like dark. He has a lighter side that comes through as well.

I saw the Christmas special yesterday. It was entertaining. I'm not sure what to make of the new companion in the upcoming season trailer. Someone already beat her with an ugly stick. I hope she has a good personality.

I respect your opinion (YAH! No Capaldi hate,) but I felt Smith's personality fit perfectly in the tone of his stint.

Outside of the 5th series the rest of his era is exception of 50th Anniversary episode with bad series endings, Monty Python two parters, and worst send off ever. Capaldi is dark, brilliant, and fresh of breath air from Smith. Only issue with Capaldi era was the dumb odd couple opening with Pink and Coleman

All the Doctors of the modern era were great in their own way (except Ecclestone who was just ok). Whoever thought up the whole "regeneration" thing was a genius.

Capaldi is superb as The Doctor - love the darker tone - but you've hit the nail on the head with Smith IMO.

I'm with you on the companions also. I wasn't a fan of Ace... However now Goldeneye's mentioned it, I find myself wanting to go back and rewatch the last two seasons with McCoy.

Great thread!

Capaldi is superb as The Doctor - love the darker tone - but you've hit the nail on the head with Smith IMO.

I'm with you on the companions also. I wasn't a fan of Ace... However now Goldeneye's mentioned it, I find myself wanting to go back and rewatch the last two seasons with McCoy.

Great thread!

Stick with Happiness Patrol, Remembrance of the Daleks, Curse of Fenric, battlefield, and Survival the last season has no clunkers, but Ghostlight is not for everyone

Great thread!

Stick with Happiness Patrol, Remembrance of the Daleks, Curse of Fenric, battlefield, and Survival the last season has no clunkers, but Ghostlight is not for everyone

Thanks, will do.

All the Doctors of the modern era were great in their own way (except Ecclestone who was just ok). Whoever thought up the whole "regeneration" thing was a genius.

Ah Gerry Davis came up with it, he was the cocreator of the Cybermen. The whole thing was done because Hartnell was getting too sick to continue doing the role and they needed to replace him as the first doctor. So Davis thought up since the Doctor was an alien that he could die and regenerate whenever necessary

Eccleston was great and had a very clear, easy-to-understand accent, I found.

I am not a fan of Eccleston's Doctor myself mainly because he was too cool to be the Doctor, but his portrayal was what was needed for a whole new generation to be introduced to if too weird they would walk away

Eccleston was great and had a very clear, easy-to-understand accent, I found.

I am not a fan of Eccleston's Doctor myself mainly because he was too cool to be the Doctor, but his portrayal was what was needed for a whole new generation to be introduced to if too weird they would walk away

Yeah, that's why I wrote off the series at first when it came back on. Everything felt too slick and commercial right down to the Doctor. Once buzz around David Tennant started to materialize, my ears started to perk up again, but not enough to jump back on the bandwagon as by then I was in all things comics. What episodes I did try my girlfriend fought me over as she didn't get it. By Matt Smith, I wanted to start watching again, but I was so far behind. I don't like binge watching a show. I knew by Capaldi, that it was time to catch up, because the show isn't going anywhere but forward. My first episode was The Time of the Doctor and I have been scrambling to catch up ever since.

Biggest regret, giving up on the Doctor Who revival to watch every funnybook movies like Ghost Rider or Spider-Man 3 in theaters and DVD. I'm a little wiser now and won't buy into their hype years in advance now.

I like cerebral escapism, I found that last night with "The Beast Below" (Matt Smith) for the first time. I'll remember for a longer time than X-Men: Apocalypse.

Ah Gerry Davis came up with it, he was the cocreator of the Cybermen. The whole thing was done because Hartnell was getting too sick to continue doing the role and they needed to replace him as the first doctor. So Davis thought up since the Doctor was an alien that he could die and regenerate whenever necessary

I can't believe how they shoehorned a "War Doctor" in the Modern series and how much it worked.

Great thread!

Thanks, will do.

I'm thinking about picking up The Happiness Patrol & Remembrance of the Daleks too.

I Liked The Impossible Astronaut, Day of the Moon, Asylum of the Daleks and The Power of Three. I haven't seen all of them yet as I'm trying to savor them, but I am looking forward to Let's Kill Hitler, The Wedding of River Song, The Snowmen, The Name of the Doctor. I do admit Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and A Town Called Mercy doesn't linger with you as much and The Angels Take Manhattan was underwhelming.

Great thread!

It is isn't it. ;)

I can't believe how they shoehorned a "War Doctor" in the Modern series and how much it worked.

John Hurt is my Mother's favourite Doctor lol (She's watched almost every episode since it was first broadcast). She was hoping he'd get a spin-off...

Great thread!

Thanks, will do.

I'm thinking about picking up The Happiness Patrol & Remembrance of the Daleks too.

I've just remembered... The Happiness Patrol is the one with Kandyman!