• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

(worship)

I grew up poor. lol

My father had to build me a TARDIS out of plywood and paint it blue.

He got sick of me using Kleenex boxes as TARDIS's.

I had to use Star War action figures as Doctor Who characters.

My grandmother knitted me long Tom Baker scarf.

I used a tire pressure gauge as a sonic screwdriver.

I did collect a lot of Target novelizations of Doctor Who episodes.

But there just wasn't any Who merchandise like there is now.

Especially, if you lived in New Hampshire.

So all this talk about Doctor Who from fans and I am not seeing any collectibles posted.

So what are your favorite three Doctor Who collectibles? Post pictures please

IMG_0050_zpstojbwznk.jpg

This is the original theatrical poster for Britain's release of Daleks Invasion of Earth 2150 AD. In the desired British Quad size 30" x 40". This poster is extremely hard to come by. The poster took me five years to find one. My friends knew the head of the official Peter Cushing fan club was downsizing his Peter Cushing collection and put me in touch with him. According to the owner Peter Cushing gave this poster to him directly.

As you can see I had the poster linen-backed, which was to remove the fold lines and sit flat, then the lines color touched by a profession poster restorer and framed. Restoration is not frowned up in the poster collecting world and what I had done was minimum restoration. In total I invested about $4,000 into this one.

IMG_0052_zpsrkq7n3me.jpg

This is the original theatrical poster for Britain's release of Dr. Who & The Daleks, this poster is a 3 Sheet and measures 40" x 81". This poster is harder to come by than the traditional British Quad and most likely would have been seen in places like the London Underground. This poster was in bad shape compared to the Dalek Invasion suffered from Acid Burn in a lot of areas. I sent that one off to get the acid burn removed, cleaned linen-back, fold lines removed/touched up, and framed. In total 3600 is invested in this poster. I have had friends offer their Doctor Who pinball machine for it.

IMG_0053_zpsaza3pymm.jpg

Ah this last item was convention exclusive for a convention that took place in 1984. Everyone listed on that sheet signed except for Mary Tamm who did not come to the show. Signed by 4 different doctors and a lot of deceased people. I knew about this collectible for years just couldn't find one at the right price. I stumbled upon it on my normal ebay search one day in luck for $200 last year. I clicked the Buy It Now button since Troughton's and Pertwee's signature alone goes for $200. I just have to get my framer to measure this one and make a frame. Around $70 will be the cost

I've got a 50th Anniversary one with more recent Companions and a Doctor. It is packed and ready to go out again should a few people make some appearances.

So all this talk about Doctor Who from fans and I am not seeing any collectibles posted.

IMG_0050_zpstojbwznk.jpg

This is the original theatrical poster for Britain's release of Daleks Invasion of Earth 2150 AD. In the desired British Quad size 30" x 40". This poster is extremely hard to come by. The poster took me five years to find one. My friends knew the head of the official Peter Cushing fan club was downsizing his Peter Cushing collection and put me in touch with him. According to the owner Peter Cushing gave this poster to him directly.

As you can see I had the poster linen-backed, which was to remove the fold lines and sit flat, then the lines color touched by a profession poster restorer and framed. Restoration is not frowned up in the poster collecting world and what I had done was minimum restoration. In total I invested about $4,000 into this one.

IMG_0052_zpsrkq7n3me.jpg

This is the original theatrical poster for Britain's release of Dr. Who & The Daleks, this poster is a 3 Sheet and measures 40" x 81". This poster is harder to come by than the traditional British Quad and most likely would have been seen in places like the London Underground. This poster was in bad shape compared to the Dalek Invasion suffered from Acid Burn in a lot of areas. I sent that one off to get the acid burn removed, cleaned linen-back, fold lines removed/touched up, and framed. In total 3600 is invested in this poster. I have had friends offer their Doctor Who pinball machine for it.

IMG_0053_zpsaza3pymm.jpg

Ah this last item was convention exclusive for a convention that took place in 1984. Everyone listed on that sheet signed except for Mary Tamm who did not come to the show. Signed by 4 different doctors and a lot of deceased people. I knew about this collectible for years just couldn't find one at the right price. I stumbled upon it on my normal ebay search one day in luck for $200 last year. I clicked the Buy It Now button since Troughton's and Pertwee's signature alone goes for $200. I just have to get my framer to measure this one and make a frame. Around $70 will be the cost

I've got a 50th Anniversary one with more recent Companions and a Doctor. It is packed and ready to go out again should a few people make some appearances.

Yeah I am border line on this one if I want the other Doctors to sign this poster or just leave it alone

Yeah I am border line on this one if I want the other Doctors to sign this poster or just leave it alone

I don't think I would! I love it as is.

I don't think I would! I love it as is.

I would leave it - part of the charm is the fact that the sigs match the poster and event. Obviously cannot get Mary Tamm anymore - but that would be the only one worthwhile to add (to me) ..... .

some of my faves...

I am an "old school" fan - and my kids love the new ones.

My daughter and I go to a local con every year -

hanging on a wall somewhere - is one from the 50th anniversary - when they had three doctors there ( Baker, Davidson, McGann) --- and we got a picture together with sigs...

The individuals - I try and get them to add in some quote from the show - pictures are through the frame and glass - so a little grainy.....

7C5E559D-25BC-4F2B-91B5-733A91368C9F.jpg

7D79BCE7-9684-4A41-B511-7484AA7CDE6E.jpg

73DEF36C-E6C6-4D78-B753-28C465158CA1.jpg

IMG_0050_zpstojbwznk.jpg

IMG_0052_zpsrkq7n3me.jpg

IMG_0053_zpsaza3pymm.jpg

You might get away with having Matt Smith sign it, since he was on the poster 33 years ago.

Time travelers.

hm

I liked Martha Jones.

Me too. Would have her back in the show in a second.

I never understood why she "left".

Rose was a tough act to follow and her story was not as complicated to tell. They really used Martha as much as they could besides we got Donna Noble best companion of the new series so far

I liked Martha Jones.

Rose was a tough act to follow and her story was not as complicated to tell. They really used Martha as much as they could besides we got Donna Noble best companion of the new series so far

I was indifferent to Rose (an ok character but not a fan of Billie Piper) and I didn't like Donna Noble lol I was very thankful when Amy Pond came along.

I liked Martha Jones.

I was indifferent to Rose (an ok character but not a fan of Billie Piper) and I didn't like Donna Noble lol I was very thankful when Amy Pond came along.

Amy Pond's character was ruined by Moffet from from season 6 on in just bad decision after bad decision of no BBC head telling a fanboy to control himself. Let alone they kept her on a half season more than they should of. Matt Smith is the worst doctor of the modern era.

Anyone that can dish it out to the Doctor and go one on one with him and annoy him is okay in my book. That is what makes Donna Noble back.

Personally we just need Ace back to finish her story

Edited by Goldeneye

I liked Martha Jones.

Yup, Amelia Pond was probably the best written companion of the Modern Series. Lust aside (Jenna Coleman, a close second in character development,) you cannot beat the fairy tale of Amy Pond's life. Jenna Coleman had a literal uphill battle to follow-up that act. But, the producers did a great job "introducing" her before her Clara even showed up. I did enjoy Rose as one of the more traditional companions, but she didn't mesh as smoothly as Karen Gillian did with Matt Smith.

[Anyone that can dish it out to the Doctor and go one on one with him and annoy him is okay in my book. Personally we just need Ace back
I understand what you are saying, but it hinders the flow of the narrative and annoys the audience too. I found Ace very annoying, not Adric annoying, but pretty well up there with Harry (from the Tom Baker reign.)

[Anyone that can dish it out to the Doctor and go one on one with him and annoy him is okay in my book. Personally we just need Ace back
I understand what you are saying, but it hinders the flow of the narrative and annoys the audience too. I found Ace very annoying, not Adric annoying, but pretty well up there with Harry (from the Tom Baker reign.)

Ace is the modern companion prototype. The companion has issues that must be faced and grows each story until eventually the companion comes full circle from growth and ready to go on their own no other companion did this in the original Who with exception of a distant second Turlough. That is why the last two seasons of McCoy are is special Ace's story needs to be finished.