• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

7. Peter Davison - what can I say I hate the crowded Tardis. Arc of Infinity best episode

Was Chameleon too much? He was wasn't he? :sorry:

lol

Peter Davison was the best! "Action Hero" Dr Who ;) But yes, the Tardis was too crowded. They could've lost Adric much earlier, Kamelion was not a good idea and Tegan stayed around for too long. Should've brought Peri in sooner.

Guy - Pertwee was the unparalleled master of Venusian aikido! He routinely beat men (and various aliens) senseless. I've always thought of his as the "Action Hero" Doctor Who!

I really like Davison's era but all your points are true -- too many companions and while Tegan has some positives, none of them were that great.

(On the action hero front - when Susan sprains her ankle in "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" and is clearly in obvious pain, the loveable Bill Hartnell suggest the best solution is that she "needs a smacked bottom" for injuring herself in the first place lol)

Let alone Davison just could not act he was monotone all the time

I never really thought about it before, but his range was quite limited. His version of The Doctor wasn't much different to his vet, Tristan Farnon.

I only knew him from Doctor Who but I read an interview with him in DWM where he said he feels like he "played" as Tristan Farnon in a lot of things. (I guess he's quite shy and said even doing conventions and things now he sort of pretends he's Tristan).

The other part I found amazing - he said he regrets not being "all-in" for the role. I guess he was doing another show and some mini-series at the same time as Doctor? Do you have any context on that Ken? That seems crazy to me as it sure didn't happen on North American television that an actor was featured in multiple series concurrently.

Edited by roach04

7. Peter Davison - what can I say I hate the crowded Tardis. Arc of Infinity best episode

lol

Peter Davison was the best! "Action Hero" Dr Who ;) But yes, the Tardis was too crowded. They could've lost Adric much earlier, Kamelion was not a good idea and Tegan stayed around for too long. Should've brought Peri in sooner.

Guy - Pertwee was the unparalleled master of Venusian aikido! He routinely beat men (and various aliens) senseless. I've always thought of his as the "Action Hero" Doctor Who!

I really like Davison's era but all your points are true -- too many companions and while Tegan has some positives, none of them were that great.

(On the action hero front - when Susan sprains her ankle in "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" and is clearly in obvious pain, the loveable Bill Hartnell suggest the best solution is that she "needs a smacked bottom" for injuring herself in the first place lol)

I did like Pertwee. He had some great episodes and was always good at reversing the polarity of the neutron flow ;) I was too young to watch him the first time round.

Hartnell's Doctor was a bit heartless at times (no pun intended). I only ever watched the reruns but found myself preferring Troughton.

Let alone Davison just could not act he was monotone all the time

I never really thought about it before, but his range was quite limited. His version of The Doctor wasn't much different to his vet, Tristan Farnon.

I only knew him from Doctor Who but I read an interview with him in DWM where he said he feels like he "played" as Tristan Farnon in a lot of things. (I guess he's quite shy and said even doing conventions and things now he sort of pretends he's Tristan).

The other part I found amazing - he said he regrets not being "all-in" for the role. I guess he was doing another show and some mini-series at the same time as Doctor? Do you have any context on that Ken? That seems crazy to me as it sure didn't happen on North American television that an actor was featured in multiple series concurrently.

Davison had an issue with drugs for a long time. The fact he is still with us has surprised many. Not including if he was doing any stage production Davison was attached to three shows during that period Sink or Swim, Doctor Who, and All Creatures Great and Small.

Davison is second only to Troughton as most accomplished actor to accept the role of Doctor Who for the original series. Troughton was Britain's first television Robin Hood

Kamillion was a missed opportunity. I would have just had him transform at the beginning of each episode to a new person in time period clothing to fit in.

That would've been a good idea.

As far as Davison I am just not a fan of his companions and how many he had at one time it was just too much. The basis to suspend the show the first time was not because of Colin Baker but because of the Warriors of the Deep episode and the Mirka. Let alone Davison just could not act he was monotone all the time

See post above ;)

I thought McCoy's overall delivery ended up at the bottom of the pile and Colin Baker - whilst trying - came over as a bit hammy. Eccleston came over as a bit wooden.

McCoy wasn't for me. But, I don't judge because I'm quite the Capaldi fan of recent. Jenna Coleman was the perfect companion for him. I'm interested to see how it all pans out now.

lol

My interpretation of Davison's companions was there was subtle hints before they were about to move on. By Mawdryn Undead for example, Nyssa seems anxious right from the get go, as Teagan copes with the after effects from the last adventure. You almost know, Nyssa will be gone soon, to make way for Turlough. Speaking of which, Mark Strickson brought an intensity to the show, that I couldn't remember God knows when happened last. Once Janet Fielding got out of her Teagan wardrobe, I think she started to grow better as an actress on the show.

Imagine if they got Louise Jameson to return as Leela as a Davison companion like the producers wanted to. We would have gotten rid of Adric a lot sooner. :devil:

I did like Pertwee. He had some great episodes and was always good at reversing the polarity of the neutron flow ;) I was too young to watch him the first time round.

Hartnell's Doctor was a bit heartless at times (no pun intended). I only ever watched the reruns but found myself preferring Troughton. I got watch Pertwee as ironically the third doctor. I believe PBS starting playing Tom Baker episodes in NH around September '81. They would go up to The Invasion of Time and then just repeat to that same spot. By '83, they made it to the Davison era, then started airing the Pertwee ones late '85. I think they put out the few Hartnell/Troughton ones around '87, followed by Baker.

:news:

But my years can be off.

I really enjoyed the early Pertwee ones, somewhat more than the Baker ones after Mary Tamm left. Davison was the perfect "Easy does it" Doctor. The episodes were somewhat dream-like and well produced, for their budget.

I still remember his dry subtle "An apple a day keeps the..." burn.

lol

My interpretation of Davison's companions was there was subtle hints before they were about to move on. By Mawdryn Undead for example, Nyssa seems anxious right from the get go, as Teagan copes with the after effects from the last adventure. You almost know, Nyssa will be gone soon, to make way for Turlough. Speaking of which, Mark Strickson brought an intensity to the show, that I couldn't remember God knows when happened last. Once Janet Fielding got out of her Teagan wardrobe, I think she started to grow better as an actress on the show.

Imagine if they got Louise Jameson to return as Leela as a Davison companion like the producers wanted to. We would have gotten rid of Adric a lot sooner. :devil:

Adric is cooler than people give him. I think most people are annoyed because he acts like the average teenager if you know something you gloat and he act d like a fanboy

Hartnell's Doctor was a bit heartless at times (no pun intended). I only ever watched the reruns but found myself preferring Troughton.

All true for me too! Too young for 1st round Pertwee and much preferred Troughton to Hartnell. I think the everlasting beauty of the show is that everyone can have their favourites and in terms of Doctor Who, there is no "wrong answer". Every Doctor (and companion and episode and serial) is somebody's favorite.

That's what makes it so incredible.

McCoy wasn't for me. But, I don't judge because I'm quite the Capaldi fan of recent. Jenna Coleman was the perfect companion for him. I'm interested to see how it all pans out now.

Jenna Coleman was the perfect companion :cloud9:

...I think the everlasting beauty of the show is that everyone can have their favourites and in terms of Doctor Who, there is no "wrong answer". Every Doctor (and companion and episode and serial) is somebody's favorite.

Even McCoy!?! :o

And - while I knew Davison was a big name, I had no idea of the drug problems. I need to do some Googling now!

Aw jeez, not Davison. I can't even google it. It seems this era of pulling back the curtain and exposing celebs "real" lives is hell-bent on destroying everyone I idolized as a kid.

I did finally meet him briefly at a convention a few years ago (so I've met docs 5-7). He did a panel for about an hour which was fun and he was quite talkative, but one-on-one he definitely didn't have much to say. I just took my autograph and moved along after failing at some small talk. There wasn't even a line at his table, so I could've badgered him for a good 15-20 minutes, but he seemed like he just wanted to go back in his shell so I let him be :tonofbricks:

...I think the everlasting beauty of the show is that everyone can have their favourites and in terms of Doctor Who, there is no "wrong answer". Every Doctor (and companion and episode and serial) is somebody's favorite.

Even McCoy!?! :o

I really thought I liked McCoy through his first season but I think it was more of a "hey, he's not Colin Baker!" reaction. By the second season the romance was over and his schtick quickly began to rub me the wrong way. The only episode of his that is even barely watchable for me was the Dalek anniversary episode.

And - while I knew Davison was a big name, I had no idea of the drug problems. I need to do some Googling now!

Aw jeez, not Davison. I can't even google it. It seems this era of pulling back the curtain and exposing celebs "real" lives is hell-bent on destroying everyone I idolized as a kid.

I did google this and the only thing that I could find was Pete Davidson from SNL who has had a drug problem. This came up when I searched "Peter Davison drug addiction" so maybe that's what you saw? I never heard anything about this until now, so I'm hoping that's the case.

...I did finally meet him briefly at a convention a few years ago (so I've met docs 5-7). He did a panel for about an hour which was fun and he was quite talkative, but one-on-one he definitely didn't have much to say. I just took my autograph and moved along after failing at some small talk. There wasn't even a line at his table, so I could've badgered him for a good 15-20 minutes, but he seemed like he just wanted to go back in his shell so I let him be :tonofbricks:

I'm glad it's not just me that happens to :)

Jenna Coleman was the perfect companion :cloud9:

That's what I keep telling her in my dreams.

I did google this and the only thing that I could find was Pete Davidson from SNL who has had a drug problem. This came up when I searched "Peter Davison drug addiction" so maybe that's what you saw? I never heard anything about this until now, so I'm hoping that's the case.

Nope we were talking about this in the late 90's as the next Doctor to go and this came up as common knowledge from our connected friends in England.

...I did finally meet him briefly at a convention a few years ago (so I've met docs 5-7). He did a panel for about an hour which was fun and he was quite talkative, but one-on-one he definitely didn't have much to say. I just took my autograph and moved along after failing at some small talk. There wasn't even a line at his table, so I could've badgered him for a good 15-20 minutes, but he seemed like he just wanted to go back in his shell so I let him be :tonofbricks:

I'm glad it's not just me that happens to :)

Ah the British, you just need to understand them. Most of the British actors care more about stage work than television or movies. So to a British Actor, like Peter Davison, if all you are going to bring up to him to sign is Doctor Who and All Creatures Great and Small then in his mind all you know him for are those characters when he wants to be recognized for more.

So you need to bring something up to sign he is usually not recognized for that might be unusual for him to sign along with your Doctor Who item. For instance, Paul McGann stopped his line when I brought up the Paper Mask movie poster to sign. It was just the odd item he is not used to signing and he started talking about other films he did and made some suggestions to others I may like in Britain that he was not apart of. Jeremy Bulloch stopped his line when I brought the DVD cover up for the Doctor Who: Space Museum release. He didn't realize he was on the cover and it was for a role most people did not realize he did. Bulloch called his wife over to look at it and thanked for me for bringing something other than Boba Fett to sign then he went into detail on his role in the episode and Time Warrior and how great the first Sontaron was.

I have found this technique to work well with British actors