• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

I've been hoping for a new story where the Doctor goes back in time to an earlier point in the Cybermen development. How cool would it be to see some of the 1970s Cybermen designs again. :cloud9:
Ahhh...

Revenge of the Cybermen.

My first exposure to them. :cloud9:

Loved their cold musical theme too.

Now CGC could really improve the Cybermats too.

I've been hoping for a new story where the Doctor goes back in time to an earlier point in the Cybermen development. How cool would it be to see some of the 1970s Cybermen designs again. :cloud9:

True - much better than the modern designs.

Yeah, the modern designs are too robotic to me. I guess that is part of the Cybermen story that they have "evolved" to more machine parts than man over time. That's why I'm hoping to see them again earlier in their evolution

True - much better than the modern designs.

Yeah, the modern designs are too robotic to me. I guess that is part of the Cybermen story that they have "evolved" to more machine parts than man over time. That's why I'm hoping to see them again earlier in their evolution

"DELETE. DELETE. DELETE." :facepalm:

I'm curious to hear what people's absolute favorite Doctor Who episode was from the original series.

Only one choice.

Any Doctor.

I'm still happy with "The Talons of Weng-Chiang."

Ah very simple for me Inferno. A very unique story concept used only once in Doctor Who in which two side by side universes are being affected by a similar situation in which two stories are going on simultaneously. The fun they have with the characters in both.

I will open this by saying I am a fan of New Who, but I have not been able to get into the older stuff. I certainly respect the story telling, doctors, etc. that has established this universe, but the production qualities and special effects (yes I know it was lower budget mainly 60's and 70's TV) are just a major roadblock for me. Even marginal special effects in larger budget modern TV can get to me at times. I guess I am overly sensitive to those types of things.

Any hints as how to get past some of that to enjoy the great parts. I see the older stuff, and really do want to try some of it.

I grew up watching all of the original Dr. Who shows and would be reluctant to seriously watch any of them now (I will occasionally have one on in the background when I'm doing something else) - it's not just the lack of budget, that can't be helped, but a lot of the writing was poor.

Then again - every season of the new incarnation has had some right stinkers.

I will open this by saying I am a fan of New Who, but I have not been able to get into the older stuff. I certainly respect the story telling, doctors, etc. that has established this universe, but the production qualities and special effects (yes I know it was lower budget mainly 60's and 70's TV) are just a major roadblock for me. Even marginal special effects in larger budget modern TV can get to me at times. I guess I am overly sensitive to those types of things.

Any hints as how to get past some of that to enjoy the great parts. I see the older stuff, and really do want to try some of it.

I was six when I started back in '81 and wasn't really exposed to the newest special effects movies at the time like Raiders or Star Wars. All I had was Battlestar, Buck Rogers, Knight Rider on TV and an occasional viewing of King Kong or The Most Dangerous Game. So, my demands were low and I used a lot of my imagination.

But, I see your issue now with episodes like Davison's "Terminus" (I really can't get past that giant space dog) or even the enhanced effects of "Enlightenment."

My advice is too stick with the more relevant episodes like "Genesis of the Daleks" for maximum enjoyment. "Pyramids of Mars" has some creaky moments, but is still pretty good. Early Pertwee is cool retro in an Austin Powers way, as early T. Baker's gothic stories still work.

Hope this helps. :)

I'm curious to hear what people's absolute favorite Doctor Who episode was from the original series.

Only one choice.

Any Doctor.

Ah very simple for me Inferno. A very unique story concept used only once in Doctor Who in which two side by side universes are being affected by a similar situation in which two stories are going on simultaneously. The fun they have with the characters in both.

(thumbs u

Only one choice.

Any Doctor.

The one that always stays with me is Logopolis. The first two episodes have this intriguing sci-fi element with the Tardis in the Tardis on a loop, the "new" Master and The Watcher, whilst the whole thing is set in a field next to a motorway. It's a shame the last two episodes devolve into the typical "on another planet" affair.

Only one choice.

Any Doctor.

The one that always stays with me is Logopolis. The first two episodes have this intriguing sci-fi element with the Tardis in the Tardis on a loop, the "new" Master and The Watcher, whilst the whole thing is set in a field next to a motorway. It's a shame the last two episodes devolve into the typical "on another planet" affair.

Yeah - I caught that on the Horror Channel last year when they were repeating various episodes. I'd seen it when it was originally broadcast but had forgotten about it- think that it is the first Tegan episodes. The TARDIS bit on a loop is indeed great.

I always thought that it was great and creepy at the same time that the Master could kill people by shrinking them. Or turning them into dolls - whatever that power was.

I've always had mixed feelings about Logopolis. I thought Tom Baker should have been done by Destiny of the Daleks. I mean Invasion of Time should have been a decent enough farewell and it would have added some depth to The Power of Kroll, if he regenerated by then. A new actor should have been given the chance to work on more Modern ones like The Leisure Hive, The Keeper of Traken, Warrior's Gate and Logopolis. That's just my 2c

I love Tom Baker in the role, but it just never fit perfectly at a point. Has anyone ever felt this way? :shrug:

Doctor Who was created as a production on a shoestring budget on taxpayers dollars. The show in the early years was never about trying to make the most outlandish effects. The show was about putting together a great story, superb actors, and music to deliver a show that is believable. The thing with Doctor Who is find a writer that you like and go from there.

Sure the first seasons suffer from serials that are extended to multiple episodes that could have been watched over 4 episodes, but that is just how it goes.

So writers you can research and in no order

1. Terry Nation - Keys of Marinus, Genesis of the Daleks

2. Kit Pedler/Gerry Davis - Tomb of the Cybermen,

3. Bryan Hayles - Curse of Peladon,

4. Robert Holmes - Spearhead From Space, Brain of Morbius, Deadly Assassin

5. Malcolm Hulke - DW & the Silurians, Sea Devils

6. Douglas Adams - Pirate Planet, City of Death

7. Ian Briggs - Curse of Fenric, Dragonfire

8. Ben Aarnovitch - Battlefield, Remembrance of the Daleks

I was six when I started back in '81 and wasn't really exposed to the newest special effects movies at the time like Raiders or Star Wars. All I had was Battlestar, Buck Rogers, Knight Rider on TV and an occasional viewing of King Kong or The Most Dangerous Game. So, my demands were low and I used a lot of my imagination.

But, I see your issue now with episodes like Davison's "Terminus" (I really can't get past that giant space dog) or even the enhanced effects of "Enlightenment."

My advice is too stick with the more relevant episodes like "Genesis of the Daleks" for maximum enjoyment. "Pyramids of Mars" has some creaky moments, but is still pretty good. Early Pertwee is cool retro in an Austin Powers way, as early T. Baker's gothic stories still work.

Aw c'mon! First someone trashes the Myrka, now you're beating up on the Garm?! Maybe it's just my love of big dopey things, but I really liked these guys :sorry:

Doctor Who was created as a production on a shoestring budget on taxpayers dollars. The show in the early years was never about trying to make the most outlandish effects. The show was about putting together a great story, superb actors, and music to deliver a show that is believable. ...

Mostly I'm lurking through this thread, but, superb actors? Isn't someone forgetting the frequent presence of OTT villains (some of whom I'm sure I remember twirling their mustaches on camera)? And that guy chewing scenery in those episodes?

; )

Aw c'mon! First someone trashes the Myrka, now you're beating up on the Garm?! Maybe it's just my love of big dopey things, but I really liked these guys :sorry:

The scenes with the Myrka in Episode Three were also later used by former BBC One controller Michael Grade during his appearance on Room 101 as an example of why he found Doctor Who pathetic and took it off the air.

Only one choice.

Any Doctor.

Yeah - I caught that on the Horror Channel last year when they were repeating various episodes. I'd seen it when it was originally broadcast but had forgotten about it- think that it is the first Tegan episodes. The TARDIS bit on a loop is indeed great.

I always thought that it was great and creepy at the same time that the Master could kill people by shrinking them. Or turning them into dolls - whatever that power was.

You're right! Tegan's first appearance was in Logopolis.

The Master's weapon...

Tissue Compression Eliminator

Doctor Who was created as a production on a shoestring budget on taxpayers dollars. The show in the early years was never about trying to make the most outlandish effects. The show was about putting together a great story, superb actors, and music to deliver a show that is believable. ...

Mostly I'm lurking through this thread, but, superb actors? Isn't someone forgetting the frequent presence of OTT villains (some of whom I'm sure I remember twirling their mustaches on camera)? And that guy chewing scenery in those episodes?

; )

And the fact that taxpayers dollars were nowhere near that TARDIS, the jelly beans or that snazzy car that Jon Pertwee had. :whistle:

; )

I liked the OTT villains. The Master was the (ahem) master of them all.

The scenes with the Myrka in Episode Three were also later used by former BBC One controller Michael Grade during his appearance on Room 101 as an example of why he found Doctor Who pathetic and took it off the air.

Grade really had an unrelenting beef with the show similar to Mary Whitehouse. Like an astute manager told me years ago, if someone really wants to fire you, they'll find a reason. I would think the Myrka was really a bit of a cheap shot on his part but more of an example as he built a case against the show in general. It's not like the beast was so unforgivably horrible that its lameness reverberated through the series and brought the show to its knees several years later. Colin Baker was also singled out by Grade as particularly horrible. He just unapologetically hated the show and its unlikely anything the cast and crew did would ever make him happy.