• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Four Color Dells
4 4

516 posts in this topic

OK I found a couple of other late fifties issues that I had picked up at the flea markets for pennies back in the early seventies. Even then you didn't exactly come across these every day. But I loved finding them and tried to pick up issues that interested me. Once again I probably haven't paged through these since sometime back in the seventies so this thread is kind of fun.

First Woody Woodpecker #43 from 1957 with a story clearly inspired by Barks, The Perils of Port Rancid. GCD credits a Paul Weaver with the art and Carl Fallberg with the -script. I'm not too familiar with those names. By the fourth page the attempt to imitate Barks pretty much falls apart and the artwork gets pretty cartoony with little background.

Other features include Homer Pigeon (really wacky) and a Chilly Willy text feature rounded out with other Woody tales.

I also always loved the ads on the back of these Dells. This comic featured a great Schwinn Mark II and Jaguar. Man I would have loved one of those! Also, there is the reminder on the bottom of page 1 that Dell Comics are Good Comics in case Mom and Dad took a look!

165399.jpg.cfee1706f75f2f79021b3be650bdf9f6.jpg

165400.jpg.62cbd4bfed0799b814b8995a1a654cc8.jpg

165401.jpg.1925385974957e309740572c7c5ec6ef.jpg

Then here is Tom and Jerry #165 from 1958; still carrying the Our Gang flame as you look at the features. There's Tom and Jerry, Spike and Tyke, Barney Bear, and the Mouse Musketeers wrap it up other than a half page Droopy feature.

The oddest strip mid book is Wuff the Prairie Dog with a Coyote character that looks like someone's demented version of Wily E.!!

The back cover features an interesting ad for scotch tape and I love the writing on the cover from when these books were just a part of everyday kid life and treated as such. Whomever wrote this was clearly in need of some spelling help though!!

165402.jpg.31e74a0b9f9a39a4bc165b6a1b8386c8.jpg

165403.jpg.9248d2b51b596d8d9e810cf586b475d3.jpg

165404.jpg.0a5ed208e64350a1e873e270c84852cd.jpg

Wow, I haven't started a thread in years ... but though we have a nice long Four Color thread, we have no Dell dedicated thread and that's a shame.

Here are a couple of Indian Chiefs I picked up at the recent Baltimore Con.

By the way, thanks Scrooge for coming up with the idea for this thread. This has been fun and I'll be slowly pulling out books through the fall that I haven't looked at in years. I also realized that Gold Key has got quite a few fun and unique books as I've got the Dell and Gold Key runs stacked together. When I put the others back I was looking at a copy of Jet Dream. What a hoot!

Who knows what you'll find digging through those boxes? Maybe your own copy of Private Secretary :)

Private%20Secretary%201_zpsgnaluynq.jpg

Never seen that one before. Not exactly your typical Dell.

True that.

PrivateSecretary02fc100_zps7be05326.jpg

The final issue. I like both of these a lot even though they're almost opposites, style wise.

Uncluttered and nearly black & white vs. busy and awash in color.

Wow, I haven't started a thread in years ... but though we have a nice long Four Color thread, we have no Dell dedicated thread and that's a shame.

Here are a couple of Indian Chiefs I picked up at the recent Baltimore Con.

By the way, thanks Scrooge for coming up with the idea for this thread. This has been fun and I'll be slowly pulling out books through the fall that I haven't looked at in years. I also realized that Gold Key has got quite a few fun and unique books as I've got the Dell and Gold Key runs stacked together. When I put the others back I was looking at a copy of Jet Dream. What a hoot!

I agree, great idea for a thread Scrooge.

Also look forward to seeing many more of your books 40Yrs.

I actually like the photo covers. Especially the T V ones. They really evoke childhood memories.

My favorite are painted covers

Amen to that, brother....... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm surprised no one has posted any of the cool Photo Cover Dells that Big John Buscema illustrated.....some real decent books. GOD BLESS...

I looked through GCD and saw that most of Buscema's Dell work was in some high # Four Colors and the Roy Rogers series (neither of which I have in my collection).

I even see that Gaylord Du Bois wrote a bunch of the stories. Definitely something I'll be checking out and I'll post some when I get them (assuming not already posted).

You're in for a treat...... Big John obviously took that work very seriously..... GOD BLESS....

When did we start using the term "space cadet" as an insult?

... depending on your circles, it was possibly, a compliment....... seriously though, at least as far back as the mid 70's................ GOD BLESS....

When did we start using the term "space cadet" as an insult?

... depending on your circles, it was possibly, a compliment....... seriously though, at least as far back as the mid 70's................ GOD BLESS....

I think it had much to do with the rise of drug use in the sixties and seventies; I recall that being code for pot heads in the seventies. Paging Major Tom!!

Then here is Tom and Jerry #165 from 1958; still carrying the Our Gang flame as you look at the features. There's Tom and Jerry, Spike and Tyke, Barney Bear, and the Mouse Musketeers wrap it up other than a half page Droopy feature.

The oddest coolest (Corrected for accuracy.) strip mid book is Wuff the Prairie Dog....

Here are six more of my Tom and Jerry comics:

205 Random House File copy

06-12-2012104234PM.jpg

06-12-2012104237PM.jpg

06-12-2012104240PM.jpg

06-12-2012104243PM.jpg

210 Random House File copy

06-12-2012104247PM.jpg

06-12-2012104251PM.jpg

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

:bump: from the second page -

Yes. I too have noticed a distinct tendency on this board for posters to blow their wads within a few days of the start of a thread. Just no staying power.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

I love that we live in a world where an intended one-shot cartoon can lead to 3 follow-ups and a spin-off comic book series from a major title :o

# 10 -

Mouse%20Musketeers%2010_zpsuxugpsmd.jpg

# 11 -

Mouse%20Musketeers%2011_zpsvryhoap9.jpg

Great cover gags!

Here are scans of my MGM's Mouse Musketeers (not including the Four Colors of course):

06-08-201182853PM.jpg

06-08-201182856PM.jpg

06-08-201182859PM.jpg

06-08-201182903PM.jpg

Mouse_zpsgx2macxm.jpg

:juggle:

Edited by Hepcat