• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And its on to ComicConnect !

300 posts in this topic

I didn't realize that ComicConnect no longer accepts credit cards for auction winnings over $2500. Had to scramble to sell a book to pay my invoice!

They took my CC (shrug) .

That's strange. When I checked out, I reached the payment screen and it only gave me two options, check or money order, and there was a message that read they don't accept credit card payments for winnings exceeding $2500.

My total was just over 10K, and I had about 9K to spend. I emailed them and asked if I could pay 2K with a credit card and the rest by check, but they responded that they couldn't accept "partial payments".

No big deal, as I sold a book this morning to cover the difference. I was aware that Heritage had that policy, but didn't know that CC had gone that same route. It's a shame, I would have bid on more books the next night if I'd had the credit card option.

So if this is true, do buyers not get charged the 3% surcharge for higher value books anymore? hm

Buyers never paid the vig at CC. The consignor takes that hit.

I didn't realize that ComicConnect no longer accepts credit cards for auction winnings over $2500. Had to scramble to sell a book to pay my invoice!

That's strange. When I checked out, I reached the payment screen and it only gave me two options, check or money order, and there was a message that read they don't accept credit card payments for winnings exceeding $2500.

My total was just over 10K, and I had about 9K to spend. I emailed them and asked if I could pay 2K with a credit card and the rest by check, but they responded that they couldn't accept "partial payments".

No big deal, as I sold a book this morning to cover the difference. I was aware that Heritage had that policy, but didn't know that CC had gone that same route. It's a shame, I would have bid on more books the next night if I'd had the credit card option.

So if this is true, do buyers not get charged the 3% surcharge for higher value books anymore? hm

Yup. Figured out my mistake and changed my post. As a consignor it certainly makes a difference for a $10k book if you know for sure you won't have to pay that additional $300 when weighing your options vs. consigning with ComicLink.

and they also eat the Paypal fee too....

is this current ?

...they always have with me.... but there is a $ 500 limit..... which would likely rule you out....since you drop more than that for breakfast :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Being based in NY, I don't think CC is legally able to place a surcharge on a credit card payment. The same is true of Maine, from which CLink ships books, but not Illinois, where CLink accepts payments.

Yup. Figured out my mistake and changed my post. As a consignor it certainly makes a difference for a $10k book if you know for sure you won't have to pay that additional $300 when weighing your options vs. consigning with ComicLink.

I've talked with Steve about it in the past. His thinking is that bidders will bid higher if they don't have to pay the vig, more than making up for that extra 3% hit to the consignor. He may very well be right about that, but it would require widespread knowledge of the policy that I don't think exists at this point.

is this current ?

...they always have with me.... but there is a $ 500 limit..... which would likely rule you out....since you drop more than that for breakfast :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

What is he eating, truffles with sprinkled gold dust? ;)

I've talked with Steve about it in the past. His thinking is that bidders will bid higher if they don't have to pay the vig, more than making up for that extra 3% hit to the consignor. He may very well be right about that, but it would require widespread knowledge of the policy that I don't think exists at this point.

See my post above. To charge the 3%, they would need to set up a legal presence in a state that allows such charges, as CLink has done.

See my post above. To charge the 3%, they would need to set up a legal presence in a state that allows such charges, as CLink has done.

Before moving part of their operation to Maine, didn't CL get around that by simply calling it a 3% discount for paying with a check or money order, rather than a surcharge for using a credit card?

Before moving part of their operation to Maine, didn't CL get around that by simply calling it a 3% discount for paying with a check or money order, rather than a surcharge for using a credit card?

Actually, they can't do a cc surcharge in Maine either, which is why they need the IL address. But, yeah, I think the discount for cash approach is one that you see in states that don't allow cc surcharges. I'm not sure whether it always holds up if challenged or whether states differ in whether they allow it.

If a company wants to receive payment by credit card, they sign a merchant agreement with the card company. That agreement states that they can't advertise/charge a higher price to the credit card purchaser or the card company can cancel their agreement. The card companies maintain staff to help enforce this.

The one loophole that clink and some other companies take advantage of is to state only one price but to give a discount for cash. *wink, wink*

is this current ?

To say they eat the PP fee is not true. I'm almost sure they pass that on to the consigner. Certainly keeps me from consigning books with them.

I would prefer to see the buyer charged instead of the consigner. The buyer is paying 3% because he knows he has used the card and made that choice. But the consigner is paying 3% without any firsthand knowledge a card was used.

If a company wants to receive payment by credit card, they sign a merchant agreement with the card company. That agreement states that they can't advertise/charge a higher price to the credit card purchaser or the card company can cancel their agreement. The card companies maintain staff to help enforce this.

The one loophole that clink and some other companies take advantage of is to state only one price but to give a discount for cash. *wink, wink*

My understanding is that in the past few years, the cc companies have stopped trying to enforce banning merchants from imposing credit card surcharges. Visa and MasterCard now allow surcharges of up to 4%.

So, the key bar to imposing a cc surcharge is state law. NY and ME (along with Heritage's home state of TX) have those bans, but Illinois doesn't.

My understanding is that in the past few years, the cc companies have stopped trying to enforce banning merchants from imposing credit card surcharges. Visa and MasterCard now allow surcharges of up to 4%.

So, the key bar to imposing a cc surcharge is state law. NY and ME (along with Heritage's home state of TX) have those bans, but Illinois doesn't.

Not just giving up, it was part of a class-action lawsuit settlement in 2013.

Just 11 states have laws that ban the surcharges (CA and FL would be the next biggest besides the ones you mentioned)

is this current ?

To say they eat the PP fee is not true. I'm almost sure they pass that on to the consigner. Certainly keeps me from consigning books with them.

I would prefer to see the buyer charged instead of the consigner. The buyer is paying 3% because he knows he has used the card and made that choice. But the consigner is paying 3% without any firsthand knowledge a card was used.

This is apparently not true as I have heard the CC consignor's contract states that the consignor has the discretion as to whether credit cards or PP for any of their specific lots. Not sure if any consignor would want to limit their pool of potential bidders however. hm

And yes, I also believe that only non-fee bearing payments (i.e. no credit cards or PP payments) are supposedly accepted by CC for any invoices over $2,500 in order to protect the consignor. Either that, or CC might absorb the 3% fees themselves, if they do decide to accept fee-based payments for invoices over $2,500 from select customers. (shrug)