• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And its on to ComicConnect !

300 posts in this topic

Seriously !!! What in the F went on with the Tec 32 !?!?

$8,088 !!!!

Do you think sometimes bidders get a "win at all cost" mentality when it comes to auctions? It is almost as if they feel that this is a competition and they must "win", even if it means spending more on a book than the FMV. I am not talking about an extra 5 or 10%, but crazy money on books that are not super rare or top graded (just something they decide they want).

What really amazes me is when someone bids more on a book than they could buy it for on the internet in the same grade or better. It is if they just want to "win"!

Wonder Women #1 CGC 9.0 sells for 291 000$!!

Link:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=677327

Guessing Hariri picked that one up.

Is that the ultra rich collector who lives in the Middle East?

yes, the dude with the "Impossible Collection"

Great looking book....I guess when you have unlimited funds it's Christmas all year long!!

Seriously, what does that do to other Wonder Womans?

Is this just an outlier?

Do you calculate the points rule?

Is WW 1 now 32K a point ?

161K for a 5.0 ?

Will dealers price it like this? Or does it stick closer to 10-20 K a point

Come home to your new papa, White Mountain Mad #1...ink smears and all :cloud9:

mad1a_f.jpg

Nice pick up!

I remember back when Mike Grissmer had the WM Mad run, although I can`t remember if it included the #1.

These outlier sales should not affect normal copies unless the market decides to allow it

Yep.

Sellers may try to market them but it all depends on whether they sell at those prices.

My opinion is that I don't think it's reasonable to take arguably the nicest available copy of any book (which almost always carries a premium and is in a world of it's own) and price all lower grade copies along the same model.

If there were two guys battling it out for this copy that doesn't really affect a 5.0 as if they wanted a 5.0 they could have bought it a long time ago.

Still shocked the 7 barely cracked $40K (conserved or not). The book was beautiful.

I don't think the #2 received enough love either. Even conserved, I expected it to go for more than $25K.

There is more to the price than just the conserved designation. Historically, cleaned covers would eliminate some bidders as well.

This is Action Comics 7 Roy, scarce in any grade and condition. Can one opt to be picky ?

They're tough but not impossible. My old 1.8 unrestored sat on CC for a while before it was auctioned and sold.

There was a restored Bats #1 8.0 that sold for $50K a few years ago and everyone marveled why it went so cheap. It had a cleaned cover.

I just think in this fickle market, lots of collectors discount comics with cleaned covers no matter what they are.

These outlier sales should not affect normal copies unless the market decides to allow it

Yep.

Sellers may try to market them but it all depends on whether they sell at those prices.

My opinion is that I don't think it's reasonable to take arguably the nicest available copy of any book (which almost always carries a premium and is in a world of it's own) and price all lower grade copies along the same model.

If there were two guys battling it out for this copy that doesn't really affect a 5.0 as if they wanted a 5.0 they could have bought it a long time ago.

I agree with your points. Sometimes books do come back to Earth as soon as the 2 buyers battling for a specific issue get their copies. For instance, 2 years ago an 8.0 copy of Brenda Starr #14 sold for over $16k in a CC auction. The FMV for that book prior to that sale was less than $5k. Obviously 2 (or perhaps 3) bidders went after that book very aggressively. A few months later a 7.5 copy sold for over $12k. Now that presumably the 2 main buyers got their semi-HG copies, the recent 7.5 copy sold for slightly over $5k in the HA auction. The book has still doubled in value compared to sales from 4 or 5 years ago, but apparently not at the astronomical numbers we saw with the 2014 and 2015 sales.

Was underbidder on More Fun 101 and will never bid from my phone again without glasses....never saw cover cleaned detail on description... and never more happier to be the underbidder :grin:

So what will you tell CC if the winning bidder backs out and they contact you as the 2nd highest bidder to see if you still want the book? :grin:

Yep.

Also, besides being a 9.0, the WW#1 was a Solicitation Copy with unique documents. But maybe he would've paid the same for a regular 9.0.

Yep.

Also, besides being a 9.0, the WW#1 was a Solicitation Copy with unique documents. But maybe he would've paid the same for a regular 9.0.

Personally I don't think the province effected the final hammer. It was a 9.0 that aurguable had a 9.2-9.4 appearance in my opinion. It was a spectacular copy.

Yep.

Personally I don't think the province effected the final hammer. It was a 9.0 that aurguable had a 9.2-9.4 appearance in my opinion. It was a spectacular copy.

Agreed, super copy

Agree. the old 9.0 has been the top census copy since it was first graded and hasn't been on the market in over a decade. I was already thinking it was a $250K copy and I agree that this one is better looking than the other 9.0

Very likely this stays the best known copy.

Agree. the old 9.0 has been the top census copy since it was first graded and hasn't been on the market in over a decade. I was already thinking it was a $250K copy and I agree that this one is better looking than the other 9.0

Very likely this stays the best known copy.

I'm sure we'll see soon enough! If this is the "best" WW1 then I agree for sure. I thought there was a nicer one for some reason..

I didn't realize that ComicConnect no longer accepts credit cards for auction winnings over $2500. Had to scramble to sell a book to pay my invoice!

They took my CC (shrug) .

That's strange. When I checked out, I reached the payment screen and it only gave me two options, check or money order, and there was a message that read they don't accept credit card payments for winnings exceeding $2500.

My total was just over 10K, and I had about 9K to spend. I emailed them and asked if I could pay 2K with a credit card and the rest by check, but they responded that they couldn't accept "partial payments".

No big deal, as I sold a book this morning to cover the difference. I was aware that Heritage had that policy, but didn't know that CC had gone that same route. It's a shame, I would have bid on more books the next night if I'd had the credit card option.

I didn't realize that ComicConnect no longer accepts credit cards for auction winnings over $2500. Had to scramble to sell a book to pay my invoice!

They took my CC (shrug) .

That's strange. When I checked out, I reached the payment screen and it only gave me two options, check or money order, and there was a message that read they don't accept credit card payments for winnings exceeding $2500.

My total was just over 10K, and I had about 9K to spend. I emailed them and asked if I could pay 2K with a credit card and the rest by check, but they responded that they couldn't accept "partial payments".

No big deal, as I sold a book this morning to cover the difference. I was aware that Heritage had that policy, but didn't know that CC had gone that same route. It's a shame, I would have bid on more books the next night if I'd had the credit card option.

So if this is true, do sellers not get charged the 3% surcharge for higher value books anymore? hm

P.S. I guess they never did if the buyer paid by check, however, now they know for sure they won't have to pay the 3% when selling a high dollar book.