• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My #1 GA Comic of 2016

218 posts in this topic

Not the most expensive, but not that easy to find. I have been wanting to fill the issue #15 slot in my Planet Comics run for quite a while, 2016 is the year that it happened! :)

IMG_20160825_1917492_zpsjxsnfxsw.jpg

Super nice book. Owning a 15 is quite an accomplishment. (thumbs u

Not the most expensive, but not that easy to find. I have been wanting to fill the issue #15 slot in my Planet Comics run for quite a while, 2016 is the year that it happened! :)

IMG_20160825_1917492_zpsjxsnfxsw.jpg

The toughest to get and the hardest to let go!

After mulling it over, I'd probably have to pick this one -- three-hole punch and all. A book I didn't know existed until I saw if for sale.

lf_zpsiocvl6nu.jpg

:cloud9:

In May 1941 an obscure pulp was published in Toronto by Victory Publishing. On its cover is a rather crude rendering of an unknown Canadian costumed superhero named Rock Thunder by none other than Ted Steele. Ted was a prolific artist in the Bell Features publishing stable in Toronto during the war years. He contributed such characters such as Speed Savage (the White Mask) for Triumph Comics.

Rock Thunder thus currently remains an enigma. However some information has come to light regarding this elusive book and I would suggest that albeit a pulp, it is significantly historic in the realm of Canadian Golden Age pop culture for a few reasons:

First, ROCK THUNDER….1st Canadian costumed superhero rendered by Ted Steele after Wolf Savage in April 1941. Rock appeared a scant two months after Canada’s first superhero appeared in Better Comics # 1 in March of 1941 name Iron Man by Vern Miller.

Secondly, This hero preceeded Nelvana, Johnny Canuck, Freelance, Thunderfist, et al

Third, Rock Thunder may have been a crude prototype of the White Mask, (AKA Speed Savage)

Notice the Canadian Ace Hi Action in the title and compare that with the 1945 Speed Savage One-Shot where it states Canadian Ace of Action underneath the title

The book screams Canadian, right down to the Maple Leaf on Rock Thunder’s Chest. The costume with the boots, gloves, and the two guns are similar to that of the later costume donned by Speed Savage. The title is emblazoned with the colours of the Union Jack, that was contemporaneously Great Britain’s flag. Remember, Canada was a British commonwealth nation in 1941.

The tome is both fascinating and uber-rare, with only one other known copy in existence in a private collection. Victory is an esoteric book that is now only coming to light as a hidden gem in the arena of the Canadian Golden age of comics.

RAD84099201669_16116_zpskdc8zrz3.jpg