• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modern ASM #667 variant sells for $9K

429 posts in this topic

Jdog is a pain in the .

No argument here. :whistle:

I argue with him from time to time ! I hate this book only cause I don't own it ! that's the absolute only reason. I missed the boat !

I don't hate the book. I really don't care about the book. As an issue from ASM (v.2), my only interest would be in flipping any copy I found.

If I wanted to buy a Dell'Otto cover, this one would be near the bottom of the list.

I really don't think he has to prove anything, the proof (for now) is in the pudding.

He wouldn't... if he didn't keep claiming "facts" about the book.

If there are 1000's of copies please tell me where they are? surely a $9,000 sale would cause someone to list some?

Nobody said there were thousands of copies. But we don't know exactly how many copies exist or where they all are now.

For now, if I was a speculator, I would say that the "hearsay" evidence is pointing to a Jdog win ! For now!

This book is rare and people want it and will pay for it, this happens all the time in this hobby. This book is the modern unicorn.

Many books, spanning all ages, were once considered to be rare, either relatively or absolutely... until they weren't. Buyer beware.

I personally need to see over 100 of these come out before i would say his numbers are off..

I don't need to see anything to believe his numbers are off.

You've yet to address the very real possibility of Marvel encouraged by this hooplah, commissioning Del'Otto for a rarer shinier variant, repeat process 10 times over, and this book collapsing 50%+ in value (still too high in many eyes).

Unlike many in the skeptics camp, I like and collect Modern. But this is so very silly. lol

Already done with several artists for several shops producing exclusive variants. Cratering in price across the board.

Can I get a list of the "official haters" of this book?

It seems the list has grown because of this thread.

What matters are the points being made, the substantive holes being poked by the growing number of skeptics and observers playing with this as if it were an insect curiosity, then crushing it for its fragility.

Defenders would best pipe down and let the thread die a natural death... but as it stands, the ridicule continues to mount.

No one wants to be the fool; even billionaires don't get to be that way by paying way over reasonable market for things, or don't last if they do.

What matters are the points being made, the substantive holes being poked by the growing number of skeptics and observers playing with this as if it were an insect curiosity, then crushing it for its fragility.

Defenders would best pipe down and let the thread die a natural death... but as it stands, the ridicule continues to mount.

No one wants to be the fool; even billionaires don't get to be that way by paying way over reasonable market for things, or don't last if they do.

I'm just glad to see the sheer amount of skepticism towards these non-#1, non-1st app. ballyhooed variants that can be out-done whenever Marvel/DC/etc. sees fit. The card market these days is rife with similar marketing schemes by companies like Topps, and it drives away modern collectors who see their mirage collectibles plummet in value once the next shinier thing comes along.

The fewer folks fall for this, the healthier our hobby.

What thread have you been reading ? Nobody has" poked holes" in jacksh!t. I'm the only one stating any facts, figures and actual sales and distribution data points, supported by links.

If your idea of "substantive" hole poking is funny gifs, snarky one-liners, and preposterous musings such as : "I believe there are cases of this book in a warehouse", then you have a very low standard of proof (but only for the position that you agree with , natch). The value is the value. Two or three sales of this book to well-heeled collectors a year will never "bring down the hobby". That is ridiculous rhetoric and you know it. What it sells for is neither right nor wrong. It was what it was, it is what it is, and it will be whatever it will be.

-J.

You've yet to address the very real possibility of Marvel encouraged by this hooplah, commissioning Del'Otto for a rarer shinier variant, repeat process 10 times over, and this book collapsing 50%+ in value (still too high in many eyes).

Unlike many in the skeptics camp, I like and collect Modern. But this is so very silly. lol

There are new variants every month. Some, purportedly rarer than this one upon release. The Vader Down #1 Zdarsky sketch comes to mind. How many copies of that are not the census after just one year ? About the same as the 667 that came out 5 years earlier? Wonder what's up with that. hm

Hasn't changed anything. This book didn't just suddenly become rare and valuable. It was discussed on other boards years before it became commonly discussed on these boards. Years. And you're right, it is silly. Silly that a few people would allow a book that sells a couple times a year to bother this much. :tonofbricks:

-J.

Jdog is a pain in the .

I argue with him from time to time ! I hate this book only cause I don't own it ! that's the absolute only reason. I missed the boat !

I don't hate the book. I really don't care about the book. As an issue from ASM (v.2), my only interest would be in flipping any copy I found.

If I wanted to buy a Dell'Otto cover, this one would be near the bottom of the list.

I really don't think he has to prove anything, the proof (for now) is in the pudding.

If there are 1000's of copies please tell me where they are? surely a $9,000 sale would cause someone to list some?

Nobody said there were thousands of copies. But we don't know exactly how many copies exist or where they all are now.

For now, if I was a speculator, I would say that the "hearsay" evidence is pointing to a Jdog win ! For now!

This book is rare and people want it and will pay for it, this happens all the time in this hobby. This book is the modern unicorn.

Many books, spanning all ages, were once considered to be rare, either relatively or absolutely... until they weren't. Buyer beware.

I personally need to see over 100 of these come out before i would say his numbers are off..

good for you !

Already done with several artists for several shops producing exclusive variants. Cratering in price across the board.

And I imagine a rarer DO variant with even more breath-taking art would crater this baby to kingdom come. No worries, it might still go for a few grand.

If a better rarer product doesn't, that would just prove market artifice. Which never lasts anyhow.

Jdog is a pain in the .

good for you !

lol

Admittedly it is harder for RMA to post under his LARP accounts without making it too obvious that it is him (though he failed here). Makes it a little difficult to throw peanuts from the gallery and actually believe that he is making a valid counter point by simply saying "I don't believe you. You are wrong."

Hi RMA! :hi: You were wrong about the book in 9/2015 and you are quite evidently exponentially more wrong today. About tomorrow ? Who knows. But I'd wager still wrong. lol

-J.

Apparently I am a "hater"

Value is perceived by the audience.

His thanks for attention for this book feed his snake oil salesman hype machine. Like I said, I don't buy into it and even if what he said is true (concerning print run - which I do not buy into) it doesn't equate to a $10,000 value.

Btw... does anyone own the Original Art for the cover or the inked lines? I am wondering what that would go for since that is one of one.

First, it's a painting, not a pen and ink.

Second, your judgement about this book is severely compromised by your seller's remorse for (allegedly) selling the book without even realizing what you had at a fraction of its FMV even then. Yes, it is quite obvious you are jealous (angry, even) at what this seller got for his copy. How about an "attaboy" to him for his strong sale, and the few owners there are of this book for their good fortune, instead of constantly soiling your diapers over it?

"Snake oil hype machine" ? lol That's rich. Again, a simple Google search will show this book being discussed in other forums and websites, literally years before it became a regular topic here. Next time do better research.

-J.

In fairness, I'll grant that if this were issue #1000, I'd be singing a different tune. But #667? I'd be veeeeeeeeeery worried about holding.

Right after the devil's numero lol

:cloud9:

:devil:

:headbang:

Shoulda done it for #666, at least you get historic infamy that way instead of just being silly and panned lol

In fairness, I'll grant that if this were issue #1000, I'd be singing a different tune. But #667? I'd be veeeeeeeeeery worried about holding.

Shoulda done it for #666, at least you get historic infamy that way instead of just being silly and panned lol

A $9000 "pan".

Keep choking on that number for another 30 pages. (thumbs u

-J.

A $9000 "pan".

Keep choking on that number for another 30 pages. (thumbs u

-J.

J, since it's gonna skyrocket, get yours for 10k! And choke away while you're at it, you wordsmith you <3 :-* : )

His thanks for attention for this book feed his snake oil salesman hype machine. Like I said, I don't buy into it and even if what he said is true (concerning print run - which I do not buy into) it doesn't equate to a $10,000 value.

Btw... does anyone own the Original Art for the cover or the inked lines? I am wondering what that would go for since that is one of one.

Second, your judgement about this book is severely compromised by your seller's remorse for (allegedly) selling the book without even realizing what you had at a fraction of its FMV even then. Yes, it is quite obvious you are jealous (angry, even) at what this seller got for his copy. How about an "attaboy" to him for his strong sale, and the few owners there are of this book for their good fortune, instead of constantly soiling your diapers over it?

"Snake oil hype machine" ? lol That's rich. Again, a simple Google search will show this book being discussed in other forums and websites, literally years before it became a regular topic here. Next time do better research.

-J.

I have no sellers remorse on this. I have made some excellent decisions in buying and selling comics and I have made some poor decisions in buying and selling comics. It comes with the territory.

You don't know me well enough as a person to understand the things I actually have remorse for or reflect upon sadly in this life. Believe me, if we were to ever sit down and talk face to face upon the things that bring me remorse and sadness it would dwarf any and every little piece of stapled newsprint you have ever handled.

However you are an arrogant piece of work. I would use a couple of stronger phrases but I want this post in this thread, directed specifically toward you to stay posted and not be scrubbed so it can serve as a reminder to ME as to what you really are.

And I imagine a rarer DO variant with even more breath-taking art would crater this baby to kingdom come. No worries, it might still go for a few grand.

If a better rarer product doesn't, that would just prove market artifice. Which never lasts anyhow.

It probably won't happen though as people would see it coming. Even a 1:1000 these days doesn't draw much attention.

I've heard the argument, "If the book isn't as rare as it's claimed to be, where are all the copies? Why aren't they out there being sold?"

Sometimes, it's possible to own something and not be aware of it's value. I just realized a short time ago I own this gem. (Image is from MCS, and not my copy).

995541.jpg

3 recent sales for well over $200 on eBay for raw copies, 2 listed on there now (1 raw, one graded 9.8). Only 12 total on the census, 10 in 9.8. A beautiful variant from a talented artist that I can "assume" or "speculate" is rare, due to the lower print run of the title (it was selling half of what ASM was at that time, and I picked up my copy at a different shop than my LCS shop at the time -- even in New Orleans, I don't think a shop was ordering the title in enough quantities to get this particular variant -- or so I've been told from my "sources"). ;)

I had no clue this book was selling for this much until someone listed one in the sales forum here (someone quickly bought it). I found mine tucked away in my Adventure run, surrounded by relatively worthless issues -- and this is from someone who separates anything higher value away from the more common stuff.

Sometimes, even people who follow this market closely, just aren't aware of every trend. My father-in-law just sold a Legion Hughes Supergirl variant on eBay -- he had no clue it was worth anything either until I asked him if he owned it (he collected everything Legion and is a completist -- but he doesn't have this Adventure). Is it possible there are ASM completists who own the Del'otto book, but aren't active sellers or flippers who aren't aware of the book's current value? (As has been pointed out, the people on these message boards are a fraction of the collecting community -- the local LCS I went to had a large customer base and many, many ASM collectors, some of whom would get first dibs on variants due to their large ordering -- but who didn't know -- or didn't care -- about the message board here or CGC graded books). Absolutely. Is it possible that there are those collectors out there with the book who do know but who simply aren't going to sell? (I've toyed with selling my Adventure myself, but would rather not break up my run). Absolutely as well. Again, all speculation, which is what 98% of this thread is.

As I said earlier, six years is a fraction of time in the comic book collecting world. Captain Marvel was once the biggest selling character in the world (outpacing Superman). The X-Men went from cancelled, to the biggest Marvel property, to essentially shoved to the sidelines over a long period of time. Rob Liefield was once the king of the comics world with Youngblood #1 -- and now he's a object of ridicule. Time will be the final arbiter on how the book in question holds up.

-J.

I have no sellers remorse on this. I have made some excellent decisions in buying and selling comics and I have made some poor decisions in buying and selling comics. It comes with the territory.

You don't know me well enough as a person to understand the things I actually have remorse for or reflect upon sadly in this life. Believe me, if we were to ever sit down and talk face to face upon the things that bring me remorse and sadness it would dwarf any and every little piece of stapled newsprint you have ever handled.

However you are an arrogant piece of work. I would use a couple of stronger phrases but I want this post in this thread, directed specifically toward you to stay posted and not be scrubbed so it can serve as a reminder to ME as to what you really are.

(thumbs u

I have my own thoughts about you as well. Your extreme negative passions about this book speak for themselves, in spite of your statements to the contrary. I have never seen you go on and on and on about the sale of any one book, as I have now witness you do at least three times with this one. Never.

As to your personal travails, no I do not know you personally or to what you are referring but if I have said something to trigger a memory then I sincerely apologize for that , it obviously was not intentional.

Feel free to PM if you need to vent anything further . I've never blocked anybody and I never will.

-J.

-J.

It's sad to see someone with a modicum of intellect value reputation so little and continue to dig his own grave with choice passive-aggression. These boards would be zero fun for me if I had to keep that up endlessly and spend that much time being disrespected.

First time I've been told to choke on an internet forum lol

I've heard the argument, "If the book isn't as rare as it's claimed to be, where are all the copies? Why aren't they out there being sold?"

Sometimes, it's possible to own something and not be aware of it's value. I just realized a short time ago I own this gem. (Image is from MCS, and not my copy).

995541.jpg

3 recent sales for well over $200 on eBay for raw copies, 2 listed on there now (1 raw, one graded 9.8). Only 12 total on the census, 10 in 9.8. A beautiful variant from a talented artist that I can "assume" or "speculate" is rare, due to the lower print run of the title (it was selling half of what ASM was at that time, and I picked up my copy at a different shop than my LCS shop at the time -- even in New Orleans, I don't think a shop was ordering the title in enough quantities to get this particular variant -- or so I've been told from my "sources"). ;)

I had no clue this book was selling for this much until someone listed one in the sales forum here (someone quickly bought it). I found mine tucked away in my Adventure run, surrounded by relatively worthless issues -- and this is from someone who separates anything higher value away from the more common stuff.

Sometimes, even people who follow this market closely, just aren't aware of every trend. My father-in-law just sold a Legion Hughes Supergirl variant on eBay -- he had no clue it was worth anything either until I asked him if he owned it (he collected everything Legion and is a completist -- but he doesn't have this Adventure). Is it possible there are ASM completists who own the Del'otto book, but aren't active sellers or flippers who aren't aware of the book's current value? (As has been pointed out, the people on these message boards are a fraction of the collecting community -- the local LCS I went to had a large customer base and many, many ASM collectors, some of whom would get first dibs on variants due to their large ordering -- but who didn't know -- or didn't care -- about the message board here or CGC graded books). Absolutely. Is it possible that there are those collectors out there with the book who do know but who simply aren't going to sell? (I've toyed with selling my Adventure myself, but would rather not break up my run). Absolutely as well. Again, all speculation, which is what 98% of this thread is.

As I said earlier, six years is a fraction of time in the comic book collecting world. Captain Marvel was once the biggest selling character in the world (outpacing Superman). The X-Men went from cancelled, to the biggest Marvel property, to essentially shoved to the sidelines over a long period of time. Rob Liefield was once the king of the comics world with Youngblood #1 -- and now he's a object of ridicule. Time will be the final arbiter on how the book in question holds up.

Did you really just compare this book (which literally just became a thing a few months ago after it was mentioned by CBSI members) to a Spider-Man comic that was selling for $1000+ raw less than a year after its release? doh!

Congrats on your book though it's definitely one of the coolest Darkseid variants out there! (thumbs u

-J.

It probably won't happen though as people would see it coming. Even a 1:1000 these days doesn't draw much attention.

A 300 print Wonder Woman variant was released a few weeks ago and nobody noticed and nobody cared because a hype train wasn't following behind it.

Did you really just compare this book (which literally just became a thing a few months ago after it was mentioned by CBSI members) to a Spider-Man comic that was selling for $1000+ raw less than a year after its release? doh!

Congrats on your book though it's definitely one of the coolest Darkseid variants out there! (thumbs u

-J.

:facepalm: