• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modern ASM #667 variant sells for $9K

429 posts in this topic

I've heard the argument, "If the book isn't as rare as it's claimed to be, where are all the copies? Why aren't they out there being sold?"

Sometimes, it's possible to own something and not be aware of it's value. I just realized a short time ago I own this gem. (Image is from MCS, and not my copy).

995541.jpg

3 recent sales for well over $200 on eBay for raw copies, 2 listed on there now (1 raw, one graded 9.8). Only 12 total on the census, 10 in 9.8. A beautiful variant from a talented artist that I can "assume" or "speculate" is rare, due to the lower print run of the title (it was selling half of what ASM was at that time, and I picked up my copy at a different shop than my LCS shop at the time -- even in New Orleans, I don't think a shop was ordering the title in enough quantities to get this particular variant -- or so I've been told from my "sources"). ;)

I had no clue this book was selling for this much until someone listed one in the sales forum here (someone quickly bought it). I found mine tucked away in my Adventure run, surrounded by relatively worthless issues -- and this is from someone who separates anything higher value away from the more common stuff.

Sometimes, even people who follow this market closely, just aren't aware of every trend. My father-in-law just sold a Legion Hughes Supergirl variant on eBay -- he had no clue it was worth anything either until I asked him if he owned it (he collected everything Legion and is a completist -- but he doesn't have this Adventure). Is it possible there are ASM completists who own the Del'otto book, but aren't active sellers or flippers who aren't aware of the book's current value? (As has been pointed out, the people on these message boards are a fraction of the collecting community -- the local LCS I went to had a large customer base and many, many ASM collectors, some of whom would get first dibs on variants due to their large ordering -- but who didn't know -- or didn't care -- about the message board here or CGC graded books). Absolutely. Is it possible that there are those collectors out there with the book who do know but who simply aren't going to sell? (I've toyed with selling my Adventure myself, but would rather not break up my run). Absolutely as well. Again, all speculation, which is what 98% of this thread is.

As I said earlier, six years is a fraction of time in the comic book collecting world. Captain Marvel was once the biggest selling character in the world (outpacing Superman). The X-Men went from cancelled, to the biggest Marvel property, to essentially shoved to the sidelines over a long period of time. Rob Liefield was once the king of the comics world with Youngblood #1 -- and now he's a object of ridicule. Time will be the final arbiter on how the book in question holds up.

Did you really just compare this book (which literally just became a thing a few months ago after it was mentioned by CBSI members) to a Spider-Man comic that was selling for $1000+ raw less than a year after its release? doh!

Congrats on your book though it's definitely one of the coolest MotU variants out there! (thumbs u

-J.

Do you want to specifically refute anything I posted, or would you like to take potshots instead? If I said anything that was factually inaccurate, then please, have at it.

If you bother to actually read what I wrote and listen to the point, it's that the future of this book -- and your Del'otto -- and pretty much every comic book -- is uncertain. If you own it because you love the book for what it is and not for the value, then you're good. If you love your book because it's a $9000 book and will retain that value, then you're speculating on the future, and there's no way you can guarantee that. doh!

ETA: You edited your post to say "Darkseid" variant, where you posted MotU variant in your initial reply. Did you really not recognize Darkseid on the cover? I could make a snarky comment about actually knowing about what you're referring to before commenting on it, but I'll let it slide. :sumo:

Exactly, the concern for holders isn't X numbered variant by artist Blah.

DO is going to be making more variant covers, and there's zero guarantee 667 will be the greatest rarest Spidey variant for all time. In fact... that's laughable.

I am getting a lotta kicks out of this thread, fwiw. Hope springs eternal baby !

I've heard the argument, "If the book isn't as rare as it's claimed to be, where are all the copies? Why aren't they out there being sold?"

Sometimes, it's possible to own something and not be aware of it's value. I just realized a short time ago I own this gem. (Image is from MCS, and not my copy).

995541.jpg

3 recent sales for well over $200 on eBay for raw copies, 2 listed on there now (1 raw, one graded 9.8). Only 12 total on the census, 10 in 9.8. A beautiful variant from a talented artist that I can "assume" or "speculate" is rare, due to the lower print run of the title (it was selling half of what ASM was at that time, and I picked up my copy at a different shop than my LCS shop at the time -- even in New Orleans, I don't think a shop was ordering the title in enough quantities to get this particular variant -- or so I've been told from my "sources"). ;)

I had no clue this book was selling for this much until someone listed one in the sales forum here (someone quickly bought it). I found mine tucked away in my Adventure run, surrounded by relatively worthless issues -- and this is from someone who separates anything higher value away from the more common stuff.

Sometimes, even people who follow this market closely, just aren't aware of every trend. My father-in-law just sold a Legion Hughes Supergirl variant on eBay -- he had no clue it was worth anything either until I asked him if he owned it (he collected everything Legion and is a completist -- but he doesn't have this Adventure). Is it possible there are ASM completists who own the Del'otto book, but aren't active sellers or flippers who aren't aware of the book's current value? (As has been pointed out, the people on these message boards are a fraction of the collecting community -- the local LCS I went to had a large customer base and many, many ASM collectors, some of whom would get first dibs on variants due to their large ordering -- but who didn't know -- or didn't care -- about the message board here or CGC graded books). Absolutely. Is it possible that there are those collectors out there with the book who do know but who simply aren't going to sell? (I've toyed with selling my Adventure myself, but would rather not break up my run). Absolutely as well. Again, all speculation, which is what 98% of this thread is.

As I said earlier, six years is a fraction of time in the comic book collecting world. Captain Marvel was once the biggest selling character in the world (outpacing Superman). The X-Men went from cancelled, to the biggest Marvel property, to essentially shoved to the sidelines over a long period of time. Rob Liefield was once the king of the comics world with Youngblood #1 -- and now he's a object of ridicule. Time will be the final arbiter on how the book in question holds up.

Did you really just compare this book (which literally just became a thing a few months ago after it was mentioned by CBSI members) to a Spider-Man comic that was selling for $1000+ raw less than a year after its release? doh!

Congrats on your book though it's definitely one of the coolest Darkseid variants out there! (thumbs u

-J.

Do you want to specifically refute anything I posted, or would you like to take potshots instead? If I said anything that was factually inaccurate, then please, have at it.

If you bother to actually read what I wrote and listen to the point, it's that the future of this book -- and your Del'otto -- and pretty much every comic book -- is uncertain. If you own it because you love the book for what it is and not for the value, then you're good. If you love your book because it's a $9000 book and will retain that value, then you're speculating on the future, and there's no way you can guarantee that. doh!

I got your point. Which is why I pointed out that the 667 has been notoriously tough to track down since it first came out and quite expensive very early. Expensive modern variants are slab bait. I'm not telling you anything you don't know. If you have a 667, odds are you worked for it and paid well for the privilege, and know exactly what you have. I did indeed purchase mine because I loved the cover and the thrill of the hunt even more. Plain and simple. Paid well for it. Owned it for years before I ever even discussed it on these boards. Is it nice to see the book turn into some kind of phenomenon? Sure it is. Does that mean it will be a $20k book in another ten years? Who knows. I never claimed one way or the other. Only thing I know for sure is that , no matter what it's worth in the future I'll still own my copy. :cloud9:

-J.

**Edit- I'm writing on a phone, so sue me.

Expensive modern variants are slab bait.

When people want to sell them.

I can't understand how somebody who usually claims to be a simple collector who never sells anything assumes that everybody else must be interested in selling items from their collections.

Nor can I understand how anybody could think that somebody sending part of their collection out of their care and possession - even temporarily - and paying to have it encased is a natural course of action.

I can't understand how somebody who usually claims to be a simple collector who never sells anything assumes that everybody else must be interested in selling items from their collections.

Nor can I understand how anybody could think that somebody sending part of their collection out of their care and possession - even temporarily - and paying to have it encased is a natural course of action.

I slabbed mine and didn't sell it. Sano slabbed his and hasn't sold it. (thumbs u

What I don't understand about you is why someone who sells comics for a living , and is well versed in the typical selling frenzy that always happens when a book hits even just $50, let alone $500, $5000, $10,000, purports to be completely unfazed by the continued dearth of copies of this book, both on the open market and in Florida.

-J.

Maybe some of us have toddlers and want to keep their grubby hands off the book. lol Or maybe some of us are clumsy. :whistle: If it means a lot to me, I slab it to protect it and give it a longer shelf life. But I can see your point too; why risk the book in shipping it cross country. There is a small amount of risk there. And if I were to ever get my hands on an AC1 or Tec27, I'd fly to CGC to literally hand the book off.

Jerome

lol

Admittedly it is harder for RMA to post under his LARP accounts without making it too obvious that it is him (though he failed here). Makes it a little difficult to throw peanuts from the gallery and actually believe that he is making a valid counter point by simply saying "I don't believe you. You are wrong."

Hi RMA! :hi: You were wrong about the book in 9/2015 and you are quite evidently exponentially more wrong today. About tomorrow ? Who knows. But I'd wager still wrong. lol

-J.

Remind me again how many board members you've met. I know RMA has met a bunch and I have as well. I'm not sure about all the other RMAs you rant about regularly.

I kind of wish I were RMA right now. I'd probably prefer California weather at this particular moment, especially for one of the things I need to get done ASAP.

A 300 print Wonder Woman variant was released a few weeks ago and nobody noticed and nobody cared because a hype train wasn't following behind it.

People noticed, but you're right about nobody cared.

Demand_and_Supply_Market_equilibrium_graph_1.png

"No matter what it's worth in the future"... finally.

Psst, will be south of 9k. lol

How can you be sure of that?

I have zero dogs in this fight, but this book has all the makings of the unicorn that holds its value. Extremely high demand - there is an extremely high demand for this book - and an (apparently) extremely low supply. I keep coming back to the Batman 608 RRP - this strikes me as being exactly the same thing.

I slabbed mine and didn't sell it. Sano slabbed his and hasn't sold it. (thumbs u

What I don't understand about you is why someone who sells comics for a living , and is well versed in the typical selling frenzy that always happens when a book hits even just $50, let alone $500, $5000, $10,000, purports to be completely unfazed by the continued dearth of copies of this book, both on the open market and in Florida.

-J.

I don't sell comics for a living. I sell occasionally at local shows as part of my hobby activity.

I have zero dogs in this fight, but this book has all the makings of the unicorn that holds its value. Extremely high demand - there is an extremely high demand for this book - and an (apparently) extremely low supply. I keep coming back to the Batman 608 RRP - this strikes me as being exactly the same thing.

I am as sure as everyone else in this thread who seem so doggoned sure of themselves. Why not?

Except Spider-man is a dying franchise.

Marvel keeps re-booting the title and printing something like 50 different covers for the latest reboot #1. They are grabbing every dime before the ship goes down.

Marvel has made it clear it will not put effort into characters it does not own the movie rights to.

Except Spider-man is a dying franchise.

Marvel keeps re-booting the title and printing something like 50 different covers for the latest reboot #1. They are grabbing every dime before the ship goes down.

Marvel has made it clear it will not put effort into characters it does not own the movie rights to.

I have had similar thoughts about that statement and am conflicted over the direction that Marvel wants to take with Spider-man.

On one side, I totally agree that Marvel is not putting effort into characters that it does not own the movie rights to. (Fantastic Four) However, Spider-man might be the exception to that. I believe that Marvel still has a VERY big interest in the health and longevity of Spider-man.

Here is why:

• In 2011, Disney purchased the Spider-man merchandising rights from Sony. Sony would continue making films but Disney would profit from any merchandise tie-in from action figures to other related merchandise stemming from the film.
  • The partnership with Sony allowing Spider-man to become part of the established Marvel Cinematic Universe allows Disney to play with the character and inject it into it's own non-Sony movies to bolster box office sales. Civil War did have an extra boost with the addition of Spider-man. I do not believe there is any denying that.
  • Spider-man is still a corporate symbol that still retains name and visual recognition. Traditionally he is Marvel's "Mickey Mouse"
  • Disney retains the ability to produce Spider-man TV shows and cartoons recently ending one cartoon and readying another for introduction on Disney xD.

If you take a look back at my BIN of this comic on eBay, it had close to 200 followers in a matter of one or two days. That to me means that this is a very popular item. I don't even see mid-grade Amazing Fantasy 15s with that much of a following.

Again, to the naysayers, you guys are pretty much removed from this conversation because you simply don't understand the concept of a rare comic that is clearly in-demand right now. You can say that all of these recent sales are undocumented, blah blah blah, but at the end of the day, none of that matters.

Here's a snipplet of the eBay messages I received:

"If ur willing to do 7k usd (direct sale if u want) plus shipping (usps priority international) declare the value at $100 so I dnt get slammed with duty and tax we can make a deal. Let me kno".

"I realize this is a very difficult item to find. I would like to respectfully inquire as to whether $8K is acceptable. I believe (again with respect) that this is where the price is right now per GPA appreciation." (hey, someone on this forum who did NOT get the comic will recognize this quote)

"Understood. If I made you the same offer of $8k and we did it direct PayPal, would that be enough for you to say yes?"

For this comic, GPA doesn't mean mess. I got one eBay message stating that they were close to a deal with another ASM 667 owner for $7.5K. Right now, after all this hoopla, I think that particular owner is strongly reconsidering the price point because there are at least two more people willing to pay at least $8K.