• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modern ASM #667 variant sells for $9K

429 posts in this topic

This is Dell'Otto's signature piece?

This or the French super man batman 7 cover if you're a dell'otto fan.

If there is such a thing it would have to be the 667. It's what put Dell'otto on the map.

-J.

Really? And here I thought it was his work in Italy that put him on Joe's map and the reason why he worked with Bendis to do Secret War 7 years before he did that cover.

If there is such a thing it would have to be the 667. It's what put Dell'otto on the map.

-J.

Really? And here I thought it was his work in Italy that put him on Joe's map and the reason why he worked with Bendis to do Secret War 7 years before he did that cover.

Apples and oranges. Collectors/Speculators didn't notice him or much of his earlier work until the ASM 667 went viral.

I'm sure you know the difference.

-J.

-J.

Apples and oranges. Collectors/Speculators didn't notice him or much of his earlier work until the ASM 667 went viral.

-J.

This is simply not true. If there is a signature piece that launched him to where he is now, it is the Batman/Superman #7 cover.

-J.

-J.

This is simply not true. If there is a signature piece that launched him to where he is now, it is the Batman/Superman #7 cover.

Truly is a beautiful cover.

SupermanBatman7VirginFrench.jpg

-J.

-J.

I truly have no idea where you are deriving that opinion. That book was not on any collector/speculator radar and was not worth anything until long after the ASM 667 went viral, and put it, along with multiple other books including the X 23 #1, Winter Soldier #1, his work on Original Sin, etc. on the map. Nobody was looking at any of those back issues until what was going on with the 667 became common knowledge. And FWIW the Batman book has since cooled off significantly as copies actually did flood ebay.

-J.

You said it put Dell'Otto on the map. It didn't. He was on the map long before the cover came out.

I am not talking about/nor do I care about it from a speculation aspect.

His talent was known or recognized before that Batman cover as well. That isn't in dispute. Maybe we are talking about two different things. I am talking about collectors (and speculators as well, who, like it or not, are also a part of the hobby).

Nobody was chasing his books (including the Batman book) until long after the 667 became a "thing".

Then people started looking for "the next 667". As of now the X 23 #1 is the only other book that has really stuck at the higher levels (also a great cover). The Batman book, as nice as it is, has basically tanked as copies came flying out of the woodwork once it started selling for $250 raw. It was the "it" book for about a month just this past summer and then the masses moved on.

Why you believe that is the book that put him over the top makes no sense to me, but hey , you're entitled to your opinion.

-J.

His talent was known or recognized before that Batman cover as well. That isn't in dispute. Maybe we are talking about two different things.

-J.

Probably a bit, what you had posted made it sound like he was a no name artist until this book came out.

This book being the book that started the speculation frenzy won't get an argument from me.

From an art perspective I think most would agree to date his signature piece is the Batman Joker piece.(Although my personal favorite is probably the Sex and Violence #1 2nd print variant)

His talent was known or recognized before that Batman cover as well. That isn't in dispute. Maybe we are talking about two different things.

-J.

Probably a bit, what you had posted made it sound like he was a no name artist until this book came out.

This book being the book that started the speculation frenzy won't get an argument from me.

From an art perspective I think most would agree to date his signature piece is the Batman Joker piece.(Although my personal favorite is probably the Sex and Violence #1 2nd print variant)

Yes, people were talking two separate things.

I myself think the Spidey Lizard piece is the signature Dell'Otto.

All I know is, this thread can't be good for the book's values going forward.

Plus variants have a tough going in general. Unless forever tied to a #1 or a 1st app., there's always the chance of flashier and/or rarer book (even by the same artist) around the corner, a newer and better flavor.

Plus variants have a tough going in general. Unless forever tied to a #1 or a 1st app., there's always the chance of flashier and/or rarer book (even by the same artist) around the corner, a newer and better flavor.

Are you kidding ? This thread is only making it more famous. lol Just like the other hundred or so before it have, across multiple other forums and websites going back several years now.

-J.

A history of Jay's expert opinion on this topic:

It all started when....

1. Originally Jaydog said that variants are separate from the print run numbers.

This was proven WRONG. He has acknowledged that he was wrong in thinking this.

2. Then jaydog tried to say that publishers print to the ratio. (1:25 - you'd divide the print run by 25, etc.)

He was shown in a number of ways to be in error.

a. A print run is not an even indication of who orders 25 at a time (i.e. for every 25 copies ordered, it could be 3 stores ordering only 8, 8, and 9, meaning none of them would get a 1:25, yet 25 copies were sold)

b. The amount of excess variants left over long after, that Diamond sells for 25-50 cents each.

c. Diamond and Comichron verifies that variants are a part of the print run.

3. Then jaydog tried to say that Marvel has only had one variant sale like that and it would never happen again, because they've tightened up their printing numbers!

This too was proven wrong as Marvel then had a Star Wars variant sale and then in June yet ANOTHER variant sale. And are currently having ANOTHER variant sale.

This is an instance where Marvel went back on their word (basically, lied), that he seems to forget about for some reason.

4. Then jaydog said its only for #1's and special books that there are left over variants for, because it's only THEN that Marvel might over print (though he could show no proof of this - it was only another one of his 'theories')

It was shown that's not true by actually posting the variant sale info from Diamond that shows more than half the books on it aren't #1's or special events.

5. Then jaydog, trying, I guess, to STILL rationalize the idea that publishers print pretty close to ratio, yet running out of ways to justify this thought process, said that publishers would never purposely over print, that it doesn't make sense.

It was shown, they HAVE with actual PROOF. Certified proof! Statement of publication proof! For decades they did it. It may be 10-20-30 years old, but it shows a pattern of consistent over printing that HAS occurred. Over and over and over and over!

We don't KNOW right now, if they are, because we don't have those numbers, but we do know they HAVE, for DECADES. Back when printing was much more expensive.

6. jaydog has said that Marvel rounds up to case packs

No proof of this is anywhere. Just someone else's words. No ACTUAL proof. No factual data or information that shows it.

And there you have it. As lopsided a debate as you could ever imagine.

Are you kidding ? This thread is only making it more famous. lol Just like the other hundred or so before it have, across multiple other forums and websites going back several years now.

-J.

I don't think visceral forum-wide criticism counts, with the flames continually fanned by some detractors... increasingly looking more like the Alamo. lol

-J.

I don't think visceral forum-wide criticism counts, with the flames continually fanned by some detractors... increasingly looking more like the Alamo. lol

Your off the cuff remarks only prove you know nothing about the book, its history, or its past price points over the years.

And if you're talking about the same three or four haters who say the same ignorant every time another thread is started on the subject, you're right , that doesn't count. lol These boards are not the beginning and the end of the hobby, the book is famous hobby wide and sells for whatever it does regardless of all the jibber jabber. Don't be naive.

See, for example, this latest, most recent high sale of $9k for a blue 9.8 (one of only 12 in the world). (thumbs u

-J.