• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modern ASM #667 variant sells for $9K

429 posts in this topic

I'm the "seller" in question and I don't think anyone would call me crazy for not jumping at the highest offer with whom I felt comfortable selling to. The last time WD emailed me on eBay was Jan 1. The next time WD emailed me was Jan 4. Should I wait? You snooze, you lose. I was getting bombarded with emails with hard to pass up offers. Most people would say, "why the hell is a modern like this even worth this much?" I bet all of those people would agree my sale made a lot of sense.

I'm the "seller" in question and I don't think anyone would call me crazy for not jumping at the highest offer with whom I felt comfortable selling to. The last time WD emailed me on eBay was Jan 1. The next time WD emailed me was Jan 4. Should I wait? You snooze, you lose. I was getting bombarded with emails with hard to pass up offers. Most people would say, "why the hell is a modern like this even worth this much?" I bet all of those people would agree my sale made a lot of sense.

yeah it did! Most would call you crazy had you not taken the 9 grand.

:news:

Old people clutch pearls, bemoan decline of civilization and scream, "What I collect rocks and what you collect sucks!!" out the window at kids gathered on the lawn.

I must be that old or I just don't follow closely on modern ASM issues. But what is about the cover variant in limited numbers to earn that much $$ amount? I looked at the cover and still can't get the reasoning behind this one. (shrug)

I've said a lot about these kinds of books in the past, and I'm sure I'm in the "STFU" crowd for those who love them, but I realized recently that these kinds of books are exactly like another type of investment from the past.

Enron stock.

Why? Because the fundamentals aren't solid... there's nothing on pages inside that matters to anyone. Cheerleaders will keep cheerleading and dancing around shaking pom-poms for every sale, but don't look too closely because the numbers don't add up.

I hope everyone buys at the right time and sells at the right time... but holding could be a problem. (thumbs u

Congrats on the sales! (thumbs u

I wish I would have any moderns I could sell for 9K.

But you do know that if you sell for over $5000, you got to buy drinks for all boardmembers... :grin:

Boy this sale is a sandwich to some people. I think the seller is absolutely genius and ballsy ...because he probably sold at a great time. The market for this will almost certainly narrow now that this price has been established and people with our short attention spans will move on.

I don't quite see this as the sky is falling scenario that many make it out to be. I don't really collect variants, and I agree that there are some crazy prices being realized for what are essentially just pin-ups. But in this particular case I can explain the mania to myself because this is an impossible to find variant of a Spider-Man comic in the actual original Amazing Spider-Man title run, and Spidey collectors are legion and INSANE. :insane:

It's not a book I'd be interested in at all for my personal collection, and of course I PERSONALLY would rather buy another AF15 or Hulk 1 or whatever your flavor is. But if you're a Spidey collector that's already finished up the main ASM run and are hunting down the truly rare odds and ends, I could see how this would get your motor running.

That being said, I don't get the appeal of the guy's art, and don't really like the cover. Hope the buyer is happy and congrats to the seller!

Old people clutch pearls, bemoan decline of civilization and scream, "What I collect rocks and what you collect sucks!!" out the window at kids gathered on the lawn.

. You beat me to it. (thumbs u

. You beat me to it. (thumbs u

lol so true. I asked in another thread what the demographic buying these high dollar modern books are . Chances are these are younger collectors . Gen X , millennials and not baby boomers . hm