• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modern ASM #667 variant sells for $9K

429 posts in this topic

This artificial rarity created with variants boggles my mind.

Newsstand and 35 cent 'variants' boggle my mind.

Jerome

Paying silly money for 9.8 modern slabs like the Saga 1 in your sig line boggle my mind.

"What I collect rules, what you collect drools."

This artificial rarity created with variants boggles my mind.

Newsstand and 35 cent 'variants' boggle my mind.

ASM #667 was a company saying "let's make something rare and people will want it".

Newsstand and 35 cent variants are a company saying "let's make something for a different market and see if it works over there".

ASM #667 is artificial rarity from day one, newsstands and 35 cent variants are organic rarity decades later.

There is a difference... but I know... STFU because I'm asking for people to wait decades before any book is worth $9,000.

A better term would be manufactured rarity, saying artificial is false as there are, with no doubt, a limited amount of copies with a huge amount of desirability. They are in fact rare and hard to find.

People don't want it because they actually think it's the height of awesomeness, they want it because it's rare and other folks want it. Just like a Whitman DCCP 22, lame book but it goes

I think you speak for yourself. The art on these mordern variants are mind blowing. Rarity is a key factor in the price no doubt but don't play god and think you know what other people are thinking when they make such purchases.

2c

People don't want it because they actually think it's the height of awesomeness, they want it because it's rare and other folks want it. Just like a Whitman DCCP 22, lame book but it goes

I think you speak for yourself. The art on these mordern variants are mind blowing. Rarity is a key factor in the price no doubt but don't play god and think you know what other people are thinking when they make such purchases.

2c

If it's just for the art why wouldn't you buy the reprint for 1/100th the price?

2c

The art blows something, all right, but it's not minds.

What's so special about variant art compared to "regular" art? Is it automatically of higher artistic quality? What a ridiculous statement to make.

Or the Ditko ASM 700 variant. How is that one doing?

Pretty good for a 1:200:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=spider%20man%20700%20ditko&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

I also think it's a very psychological phenomenon that people think the covers on these lower print are "better" than the regular prints. I mean do these companies really save the "cooler" covers for the variants???

You're right. Ramos is a much better artist than Dell 'Otto.

bad_boys_20.gif

Yeah. $800 sales prices on 9.8s are great compared to the $1200-2000 they brought in 2013. lol

2c

I usually do speak for myself, as most omnipotent beings do, now bow down before your God.

2c

If it's just for the art why wouldn't you buy the reprint for 1/100th the price?

Original always feels, looks and tastes better. Always.

OK, another comp is the Star Wars 1 35 cent variant.

Dan, you can't just randomly pick the two variants that have done fabulously well over the last 10 years and say this one is exactly like those. What about the other billion variants that didn't do well at all? It's not rarity, because other rare variants haven't done as well. It's not the title, because other variants in that title haven't done as well. Please tell me exactly the formula so I can go ahead and invest next time.

For the uninitiated, with regard to the 667 Dell'otto, I did a little research piece on it last year. Here is the link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9184753&fpart=8

(towards the bottom of the page)

In a nutshell, not only is Dell'otto one of the best and most popular artists around, the 667 was only his second cover on the title and it was the last 1:100 on the title. So it was already going to be rare. Contrary to a few of the comments in this thread, the book was also a "Part 1" of the Spider Island storyline. Marvel's big crossover event that year that later got its own title during the Secret Wars.

This Dell'otto variant was not announced in any dealer solicitation for ordering at any point before the initial final order cut-off for that month. The only announced variant for 667 that month was a Fantastic Four 50th anniversary variant , which could be ordered in unlimited quantities as long as retailers hit a certain percentage of orders from the prior month (not very hard to do). This is how most of Marvel's variants are offered now. High ratio Incentive variants like the 667 are being phased out.

On the day of the final order cut-off , Marvel announced the Dell'otto as a last minute addition, and extended the order cut-off on just that one book by only one week. Assuming dealers even noticed the book, they would have had to gone back into their accounts again just to order this one variant. And that's only if they ordered 100 copies of the regular cover of the 667- that means that all those orders of the unrestricted FF variant would not count.

This triple whammy of occurrences has led to the extraordinary rarity of the book. It turned a book that would have had "manufactured rarity" regardless, into something unexpectedly special. If you've followed this book, you know that it's been a four figure book since basically 2012 (it came out in 2011) and has been a phenomenon unto itself virtually since the day it was released. If you are an ASM collector/completionist, a Dell'otto fan/collector, a rare variant hunter, you know about this book and you want this book. Five and a half years on, the book selling for thousands the few times it comes up for sale in a year, and still just 29 slabs to go around. Compared to Bats 608RRP, a book also rarely sold, but with nearly 300 slabs (10X more!). It's not hard to see why the 667 is at the top of whole lot of lists.

-J.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=spider%20man%20700%20ditko&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

I also think it's a very psychological phenomenon that people think the covers on these lower print are "better" than the regular prints. I mean do these companies really save the "cooler" covers for the variants???

bad_boys_20.gif

Yeah. $800 sales prices on 9.8s are great compared to the $1200-2000 they brought in 2013. lol

So what you are telling me is that books fluctuate in value...interesting.

For the uninitiated, with regard to the 667 Dell'otto, I did a little research piece on it last year. Here is the link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9184753&fpart=8

(towards the bottom of the page)

In a nutshell, not only is Dell'otto one of the best and most popular artists around, the 667 was only his second cover on the title and it was the last 1:100 on the title. So it was already going to be rare. Contrary to a few of the comments in this thread, the book was also a "Part 1" of the Spider Island storyline. Marvel's big crossover event that year that later got its own title during the Secret Wars.

This Dell'otto variant was not announced in any dealer solicitation for ordering at any point before the initial final order cut-off for that month. The only announced variant for 667 that month was a Fantastic Four 50th anniversary variant , which could be ordered in unlimited quantities as long as retailers hit a certain percentage of orders from the prior month (not very hard to do). This is how most of Marvel's variants are offered now. High ratio Incentive variants like the 667 are being phased out.

On the day of the final order cut-off , Marvel announced the Dell'otto as a last minute addition, and extended the order cut-off on just that one book by only one week. Assuming dealers even noticed the book, they would have had to gone back into their accounts again just to order this one variant. And that's only if they ordered 100 copies of the regular cover of the 667- that means that all those orders of the unrestricted FF variant would not count.

This triple whammy of occurrences has led to the extraordinary rarity of the book. It turned a book that would have had "manufactured rarity" regardless, into something unexpectedly special. If you've followed this book, you know that it's been a four figure book since basically 2012 (it came out in 2011) and has been a phenomenon unto itself virtually since the day it was released. If you are an ASM collector/completionist, a Dell'otto fan/collector, a rare variant hunter, you know about this book and you want this book. Five and a half years on, the book selling for thousands the few times it comes up for sale in a year, and still just 29 slabs to go around. Compared to Bats 608RRP, a book also rarely sold, but with nearly 300 slabs (10X more!). It's not hard to see why the 667 is at the top of whole lot of lists.

-J.

Thanks for the explanation. Still not understanding why it would command $9000 in 9.8, but that provides some context.

bad_boys_20.gif

So what you are telling me is that books fluctuate in value...interesting.

doh!

Dan, you can't just randomly pick the two variants that have done fabulously well over the last 10 years and say this one is exactly like those. What about the other billion variants that didn't do well at all? It's not rarity, because other rare variants haven't done as well. It's not the title, because other variants in that title haven't done as well. Please tell me exactly the formula so I can go ahead and invest next time.

I think this one is like those two IN THAT

1) There's a very strong character

2) This book has extremely strong demand

3) This book has a very low print run (how many are there)

4) You simply cannot find one. This price may pull some out of the woodwork, but I don't know.

It looks like some of you don't follow Moderns.

Prepare to have your gaskets blown.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9589044#Post9589044

If you all like Dell Otto moderns,check out the Dell Otto variants for ASM 683,684,687 and 688. which by the way are nicer than the 667 variant.

I think this one is like those two IN THAT

1) There's a very strong character

2) This book has extremely strong demand

3) This book has a very low print run (how many are there)

4) You simply cannot find one. This price may pull some out of the woodwork, but I don't know.

2) Only relative to its very small apparent/available supply. Regular Batman 608s and Star Wars 1s actually sell, and not only for $1.

3) While I'm sure it doesn't have a high print run, we don't have any idea how many were printed or where they all are now